Thursday, February 14, 2013

Clé de Peau Beauté Eye Color Quad in #209 from the Mediterranean Beauty Collection

Lest you have any doubts that blue shades are trending for spring and summer, check out Clé de Peau Beauté's Mediterranean Collection. The two new Eye Color Quads ($55 or $80), #209 and #210, both add a touch of blue - although different hues - to a neutral palette.

I was able to catch photos of #209 this afternoon after I did some power shopping at a warehouse store for my mother. I had wanted to get over to Chevy Chase, but I never made it. Maybe tomorrow. I know there are exciting arrivals I must photograph for you.

I purchased both new quads from the Mediterranean Collection at Neiman Marcus. As with all the new items, I opted for the refills, so you will see a plastic container below. The compact adds an extra $25, which adds up when you buy one of the quads. Since they take up less space when stacked in my bathroom, I'm perfectly happy with the refills. Plus, these shadows are so amazingly good, I want them close at hand. If I had to look for a specific quad in my house - the makeup warehouse - I would be up a creek.

Layers of light in whispers of color. More than eye shadow, it's the feeling of light and translucence. Soft shades combine with skin-care benefits to achieve delicate depth and refinement.

The skin-care benefits to which Clé de Peau Beauté refers are argan tree oil, which provides smooth application and hydrating wear, and Clé de Peau's proprietary advanced moisturizing Hydro-Wrap Complex. Somehow, the ingredients the company uses combine to produce luxurious makeup.

Quad #209 will attract you even if you don't love blue. I have to jump out of my conservative habits and wear it more often - appropriately, of course. Just a pop. The neutrals in this pastel palette are stunning. Sheer but buildable, they are gorgeous shades for year-round wear.

I took swatch photos in full, afternoon sun. I applied all four shades heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator. I'm always disappointed to see the classy design disappear on first use, but then I think about how pretty these eye shadows are and get over it.

The golden shade at the top of my arm (left in quad) offers a beautiful warm gold sheen. In a Mediterranean beach theme, it could equate to shimmering sand. It's not terribly sparkly. It offers an adult sheen. Perfect, huh?

The copper shade is flattering on the eyes. Isn't it interesting how copper has become, over the last few years, a must-wear shade? I might have passed on it five years ago, but now I drool when I find a good one.

The blue is a beautiful color. I applied it heavily for the swatch photos, but if you apply it lightly with a brush, it will give you a periwinkle wash that's elegant - not at all 1980s blue.

The thin stripe at the right in the quad is a pastel yellow. I wish there were more of it. It is a gorgeous base shade, and it can also serve as a highlighter on the inner corners of the eyes.

Conclusion? It's love. How perfect for Valentine's Day!

I'd recommend you stop by a Clé de Peau Beauté counter and explore the magnificent new colors. Or, check them out online at the Clé de Peau Beauté Web site.

Photo at top courtesy of Clé de Peau Beauté; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

25 comments:

Charlestongirl said...

I started to lose my sunlight to clouds in the second photo. Sorry it's dark. I wanted to show you the quad today, rather than wait two days for another shot at sunlight.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how different the colors look when photographed in sunlight (even with clouds!) The pastel yellow looks anything but!

Charlestongirl said...

OMG, Anon, I put up the wrong photo! It's fixed. Thanks for noticing. :)

Deb said...

Hi Charleston Girl,
Wondering if you can provide some suggestions on copper shadows. Like you, I have blue eyes and copper is a wonderful compliment. However, I'm not overly fond of shimmer and I notice that you do seem to like it. Which is great but what I'm getting at is I would be very appreciative of any recommendations you may have that have the least amount of it. I realize that with copper there's going to be some shimmer or gleam; I just have to stay away from metallic and sparkle. Also, I would prefer singles rather than palettes. I won't live long enough to use up all of my palettes now :) I hope this isn't too imposing of a request.

Jo said...

This is absolutely gorgeous. I'll have to take a look the next time I'm near a CdP counter. Thanks for the swatches.

Mary Ann said...

Thank you for the swatches. I was on the fence about whether to order these or not. It is beautiful. I want the shimmer powder too!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Deb,

I'm not a fan of matte eye shadows, so I fear I can't think of a great one right of the bat. I Googled "matte copper eye shadows" and found a MUFE one came up often.

If I were you, I'd challenge my favorite store rep to find you one.

Anyone out there, recommendations for Deb?

Charlestongirl said...

Jo, I'll publish #210 tomorrow. Equally gorgeous!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Mary Ann,

I don't think you will be sorry. :)

Elizabeth said...

Very tasteful looking shadows. I have never used anything by Cle de Peau: I'm always a bit miffed when brands like don't make foundation or bases suitable for my skin tone or darker so I end up not even looking at their color products. Would you say that CdP shadows are as nice as LMdB, Chantecaille or Edward Bess? I use all those brands - thanks to the tireless efforts of bloggers like you! - and love them so much I'm now hard-pressed to use anything of lesser quality.

Bonnie C. said...

Lovely! Very smart combo of colors! :-)

Eileen said...

To see how beautifully this quad can be worked, just look at Amanda Seyfried in the promo. She's wearing #209 Sapphire. Beautiful, isn't it? With my coloring; however, the one I'm eager to try is #210 Aquamarine. I'm also interested in the Enriched Lip Luminizer in #222 Sugar Candy (Seyfried is wearing #221 Sweet Nougat). This is such a pretty little collection. I do hope it is available by next week when I drive to the Valley.

Hi Elizabeth,

CdP's eyeshadows are right up there with the best of the best. Unless you need a heavier case for travel, just buy the refill. That puts the price in a competitive bracket with other luxury brands. I was taken to task once by a pretentious young woman when I suggested foregoing the case, but believe me, the case is not luxurious or particularly well made. It's just an average black plastic case with room for two so-so little brushes. I'd rather spend my money on more makeup :-)

Meredith said...

You may want to try to wear these eyeshadows for a day before you decide to purchase. They are lovely and excellent quality but the sparkle irritates my eyelids and I can't wear this brand, unfortunately. They are gorgeous though.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Hi Deb! I love a good challenge, so I looked up the MUFE (Makeup Forever) shadows that CG was talking about, and there are several that could fit the bill, but this one might be the best: http://www.sephora.com/eyeshadow-P12633?skuId=774372 (The "Pale Rust 103" - matte light rust brown, seems most like copper to me.)
Or, you could try a sateen texture, which is just barely, imperceptibly luminous, which they have at Laura Mercier in a lovely "Cognac" shade:
http://www.lauramercier.com/store/shop/Eye%20Shadow_Sateen%20Eye%20Colour_prod140020#ColorSampleLink_sku70033
Also, Burberry Sheer Eyeshadow is beautiful and goes on like a dream ("Gold Trench", which sounds very golden, really isn't...check out swatches to see what it really looks like. I think CG has swatched this before!) http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/burberry-sheer-eyeshadow/3118747
*I hope this gives you some options and that I've come close to your description of copper! Good luck!

risubunny said...

Are these 2 eyeshadow quads limited editions?

Elizabeth said...

Hi Eileen!

Thanks for the tip. I like the concept of refills - better for the environment, makes for cheaper makeup in the long run. And, of course, it's smarter to buy just the refill, especially if you're first starting out with a brand. Ugh, I have no patience for pretentious SAs. From past comments you've made, I get the impression that we might be in the same neck of the woods. If you have a favorite CdP counter in the LA metro area, I'd love to hear about it!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Elizabeth, CdP just added three new darker shades to their foundation - just for you!

As for the shadows, yes, I think they are just as nice. Premium quality!

Charlestongirl said...

It is VERY pretty, Bonnie!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

The only case I'd like to have is the illuminator one. The design is pretty. As you said, the eye shadow cases are just black plastic. VERY expensive plastic.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Meredith,

These new ones are much less sparkly than the single shadows CdP has been releasing. I didn't buy from the last collections because the shadows were glitter bombs. The new quads are different - entirely.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks for taking the time to do the research, MamaVal!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi angrynom,

I don't think so. There was no info to that effect - at least info I've seen.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a huge fan of blue, but that quad makes me think I'd like it after buying this! I love the pop of color added to it and the copper shade is absolutely gorgeous!

Mamavalveeta03 said...

You are MORE than welcome, with all of the research you do everyday for us! (and besides, my job hasn't started back up yet, so what else have I got to do? And it was FUN!)

Deb said...

Charleston Girl and mamavalveeta03,
Thank you both for the recommendations. I'll check out MUFE next time I'm at Sephora. I'm not opposed to some shimmer, I just can't wear high metallic and I can't stand the fallout from sparkle. I do have Burberry Gold Trench and it's beautiful but doesn't show up copper on me, probably my undertones. I really appreciate the research