Thursday, February 28, 2013

Dior Nude Shimmer Instant Illuminating Powder from the Neiman Marcus-Exclusive Pink Champagne Collection

I stumbled on the gorgeous Dior Pink Champagne Collection at Neiman Marcus. It's a  limited-edition collection of shimmering pink and gold tones that will give your skin a luminous and radiant look. It's exclusive to Neiman Marcus, which explains how I had missed these fabulous pieces. I purchased three (although, with adequate funding, I would have purchased all of them). Today, I'll show you the Nude Shimmer Instant Illuminating Powder ($44).

This compact almost reached out and grabbed me. When I saw that the applicator was the same type Estée Lauder has been using for its revolutionary Illuminating Powder Gelées, my intuition told me that the formula of the product would be similar. I was right - and deliriously happy.

The first instant radiance enhancer by Dior, for a vibrant, ultra-modern nude complexion that captures the light. The makeup professional's magical trick: a subtle combination of transparency and pearly shimmer applied gently on rounded parts of the face (cheekbones, forehead, bridge of the nose, chin) to capture light and create a complexion dazzling with beauty.

That marketing speak is no exaggeration! This illuminator is fabulous. I'm amazed Dior rolled out such a stunner at only one retailer. They have gold here - literally.

I took swatch photos in full sunshine. I applied the gel-powder hybrid (I'll call it that) to my arm with its own applicator, covering a large section of my arm near my wrist. As I swatched, I almost drooled. Nude Shimmer is an extraordinary, sheer shade that's going to be perfect for everyone. It lets your own skin tone shine.

Look at the sheen! It doesn't sparkle; it glows. Even in full sunlight, you don't see sparkles, micro-glitter, or any of the particles we relate to shimmers. Instead, you see a moist, illuminating sheen that lights up the skin - in this case my arm, but I have tried it on my face, with equal excitement. The color leans gold, but my skin adds some pink. I love the result.

This new product is a must-have for gals who want to glow. This collection is available online at NeimanMarcus.com. If you would like to work with a Dior representative, call (703) 761-1600 and ask for the Dior counter (extension 3787), then ask for Ewa McDonald (pronounced Eva). Or you could call a fantabulous sales associate, Marilyn Schubert at the same phone number, requesting extension 3286. I'll be back before too long with the Twinset Duo and the Dior Vernis.

Photos at top courtesy of Neiman Marcus; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

29 comments:

Sara in the snow said...

Hello!
I am a long-time reader of your wonderful blog, but a first-time commenter.
How does the illuminator compare to meteorites perles?
If I wanted to glow (not sparkle), which would be your pick among the different illuminating powders (loose or pressed would work) you have used so far? I am NC20-25 and a brunette.
Thanks so much for your advice!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Sara,

The texture is closer to a cream than a powder, but it is a hybrid (being neither).

Wish I could select/recommend for you, but the best thing to do is go to a department store and try them all. There are more variables than skin color and hair color. Your own complexion and condition will determine what looks best on you.

Cheers!

LilJeJa said...

OMG I have been so impatiently waiting for this beauty to show up in the US!

How is it compared to chanel spring highlighter?

Anonymous said...

Hi ;) I was between purchasing this one or the new cle de peau illuminator. Do you suggest one over the other? I've been having such a hard time choosing and I can't have both.

LuckyRedLisa said...

Another wonderful and informative review! I ordered this during the NM beauty event and I love it too! I also ordered the twinset eye shadow, which is nice, but I'm not sure I'm totally loving. I'm wishing there was a touch more pink/rose in the mix for both of them.

Charlestongirl said...

I think it's totally different, LilJeJa. Sorry, but I have no time to do product comparisons with photos.

Everything about the two is different: color, formula, effect.

Charlestongirl said...

Anonymous, the CdP is much darker and warmer. Check out my swatch photos.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi LuckyRedLisa,

Thanks. Except for the pink nail lacquer/gloss, it's a gold collection.

LilJeJa said...

I ordered it thank you for your review :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi LilJeJa,

I really think you'll like it. It's "refined."

nicolle said...

I am trying to decide between getting this or Heat Wave?!! both are gorgeous!

Charlestongirl said...

Nicolle, that's a tough choice. The EL is a little "louder." Does that help?

Eileen said...

Hi Sara; Hi LilJeJa

I collect Météroites and am a bonafide highlighter junky. I have Guerlain's miraculous pearls, Chanel's Poudre Signée de Chanel, and this new Dior beauty. They are completely different.

Météorites is an all-over finishing powder designed to pull everything together in a soft-focus glow. It can be used on the face, neck, and décolletage. The amount of shimmer in the product depends on the particular version; some being more sparkly than others. They are all ultimately designed to be used as face powders; not highlighters.

The Poudre Signée de Chanel has a fine, light, golden, pink tinged shimmer that looks best when used as a classic highlighter for browbones, cheekbones, and cupid's bow. The sparkle factor is considerably more dense than what you'll find in Météorites, so I can't imagine using it as a face powder.

The Dior Nude Shimmer has a light glistening finish to it that reminds me of my Tom Ford Shade and Illuminate. It can be sheered out for a natural and subtle glow that is beautifully illustrated in Charlestongirl's swatch photo. If applied heavily, it almost looks wet. This is also a classic highlighter.

By the way, Sara, I'm NC15.

LilJeJa said...

Hi Eileen ,
thanks so much for your opinion.
I do have 5 different Meteorite perles and love them. I use them as all over powder.
I also have gazillion other highlighters - I am addicted to them. The only one i did not get is chanel spring one that's why i asked for comparison.

Lakshmi said...

Hi CG and Eileen!
Would either of you care to compare this to Kevyn Aucoin's Candlelight highlighting powder? Thanks in advance :)

Jenny said...

I ordered all the pieces from this collection after I stumbled on it, too. This highlighter is just gorgeous. I was worried that it would be too dark for me, because I am so so fair--but it's not. It's so beautiful. I was really, really disappointed with the lipgloss though. That swatch is not represented true to color at all. It's basically just a sheer sparkly pink. So, I don't know why they called it "Pink Champagne Lip Sparkle". But the Nude Shimmer Powder--GET IT!!!

mplp11 said...

I was wondering if you would be so kind as to tell us if this illuminating powder contains any parabens in the ingredients? Thank you in advance for the wonderful work you put into this blog...I LOVE reading your thoughts on products everyday.

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Eileen. Just got home after being away for hours (hair stylist, errands for Mom). That was a perfect description.

Charlestongirl said...

Oh my goodness, Lakshmi, with one exception, I stopped buying that brand when he died.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Jenny, I passed on the gloss the moment I saw it. Boring. Sorry you bought it. If you had seen it in person...

Charlestongirl said...

Hi mplp,

Looks like the answer is no. My office room has dim lighting at night, so I will look again, but I see no parabens on the list of ingredients.

Thanks!

Eileen said...

Hi LilJeJa,

When it comes to finishing powders and highlighters, it looks like we're kindred spirits :-) If your skin is warm, Poudre Signée is a stunning highlighter. It doesn't add color per se, but enhances the skin with a gorgeous shimmer. It is very soft and creamy feeling although it is a straight up powder. I bet you'd love it. Anyway, enjoy the goodies you have.

Eileen said...

Hi Lakshmi,

I don't own the KA highlighter, but I have swatched it. It has a powdery feel and finish to it. It is quite different from the Dior which is one of those hybrid formulas similar to the ones that Estée Lauder has been putting out. Also, the color is different. The KA is warmer. The Dior isn't cool, but it is more neutral. I actually think the KA looks a bit old fashioned in comparison to the newer products. The Dior glistens and looks very smooth. Charlestongirl's swatch photo is accurate. I hope that helps a bit.

Julia said...

This comment hasn't been available in the US for so long but it was in Europe. I finally saw it last week and picked it up, I was so happy even though my wallet was not! I am OBSESSED with the beautiful glow it gives my face. Expensive but it will last a looong time!

Lakshmi said...

Thanks so much Eileen, that definitely helps! The texture sounds wonderful, I can't wait for it to arrive :)

mplp11 said...

Thank you for looking at the ingredients for me. I wish you well and please NEVER stop updating your blog!!! I just ordered this highlighter...Many thanks

Anonymous said...

This is sooo beautiful~

Charlestongirl said...

Yes, it is! :)

Jenny said...

Hi CG!
It's okay that I bought it. I was just expecting it to look completely different. I'll still use it and love it. Unfortunately, I live in the Midwest--about 2-3 hours away from Chicago--by absolutely nowhere decent to shop in person. So, I do all my shopping online--and usually relying on wonderful bloggers, such as yourself. I just happened to stumble upon this collection at NM and was enamored. I had to have every piece--I'm sure you know how that goes. The lip gloss is beautiful--don't get me wrong, I just was expecting something else. But, seeing as it's all LE, I'm sure I'll be glad I have it! The highlighter is still my favorite though.