Monday, February 25, 2013

Guerlain Terracotta 4 Seasons Tailor-Made Bronzing Powder in 00 Nude

"Terracotta Bronzing Powder is a woman's best friend when the sun’s rays are scarce. The secret to a radiant complexion and a flawless natural-looking glow, this irresistible bronzer can be customized at will. It’s an irresistible ally to any woman wishing to be kissed by the sun.” - Olivier Echaudemaison, Creative Director

The ultimate cult bronzing powder, one Guerlain Terracotta product is sold somewhere in the world every 20 seconds. The sheer magic of this legendary makeup line is its ability to duplicate the illusion of sun on skin with an astoundingly natural-looking glow. Often imitated but never equaled, its secret formula strikes a subtle balance between color and transparency, creating a flawless natural look that lasts all day.

The Terracotta 4 Seasons Bronzing Powder ($75), a centerpiece of the 2013 Terracotta Collection, allows women to create a tailor-made palette for each season. Each powder contains four shades, which can be mixed and blended to create natural color for all times of the year. To enhance the 4 Seasons experience, Guerlain has added four new harmonies of coordinated shades to better accommodate women’s varying complexions. With a total of six shades, Guerlain ensures that all women, fair or dark, can indulge in the pleasure of a Terracotta glow.

I purchased the new 00 Nude shade at Neiman Marcus (shown above). I was eager to get my hands on it. It met my expectations for a great bronzing powder for fair skin. I adore it. Nothing wrong with 02 Natural Blondes, but I wanted something lighter. I got my lighter shade, thanks to Guerlain.

I took swatch photos in full sun with a milky blue sky. I swatched heavily at the top of my arm with a sponge-tipped applicator, picking up all four shades evenly. Had I wished, I could have changed the color - for example, emphasizing pink - with a different mix. I created the larger swatch below using a dense face blender brush.

I love this neutral shade! It's not too cool, not too warm - exactly perfect for a light, sun-kissed look. I've applied it to my face in two ways: using it for contouring (magnificent) and sweeping it over the high points of my face (such as cheekbones, temples, and the bridge of my nose).

The finish of the 4 Seasons Bronzing Powder provides a sheen, with just a hint of sparkle. You won't look like a glitter princess when you wear it, but you will glow.

Because Guerlain is offering new shades, you must visit your favorite Guerlain counter to check them out. I think my local Neiman Marcus may have received the Terracotta Collection a bit on the early side, but keep checking. I purchased other pieces from the 2013 collection and can't wait to show you. This gorgeous line-up will be available beginning in March at select locations of Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Sephora, Bloomingdale's, and Bergdorf Goodman.

Update: These bronzers have sold through very quickly at Neiman Marcus. I talked to the Guerlain boutique in Las Vegas this afternoon. They would be pleased to take your reservation for this piece or anything from the collection. They hope to receive it this week. Give Beauty Advisor Rhonda Hethcoat (or anyone if you can't reach her) a call at (702) 732-7008. They will put you on the list.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

38 comments:

ScrapgalGR said...

It looks lovely! I think it's time for my first guerlain bronzer!

Charlestongirl said...

If it's your first, ScrapgalGR, you will be over the moon!

evenstar said...

Hi, the powder itself looks gorgeous! However, I don't know if I shouldn't stick to what I already have, which is Brunettes and Blondes :)

I can imagine how that colour compliments fair skin, though.

Could you tell me, if it is possible, to use the pink solely as a blush?

Anonymous said...

Absolutely stunning bronzer! I love how light and pretty it is. I need another bronzer like I need a hole in my head, but this looks too good to pass up! :]

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Evenstar,

Yes, you definitely can. It's a pretty shade, and during the summer, if you mix in a little of the tan, you'll look very good.

Unknown said...

Shoot. I had hoped this wouldn't be so warm. It is nice and light though. Thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

Christa,

Warm is kind of the point. :)

Howsomeever, if you want a cool bronzer, look at Bobbi Brown's pink ones. I swear they look like blushes to me.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey Paintedladybeauty,

When you go look, make sure to see the three Terracotta Skin shades. The new lightest one, Nude, is absolutely perfect for me.

Charlestongirl said...

Christa,

Another thing, you could cool it down by picking up more pink and less brown. The choice is yours with 4 Seasons.

Anonymous said...

Hey pretty! Where did you get this? Whom can I call! I need it! Your blog enables me like nothing else and I love it!

Natalie

Charlestongirl said...

Call Marilyn Schubert at 703-761-1600, x3286. She will take fabulous care of you.

Charlestongirl said...

They sold out at Tysons! Liz Meggwa at Mazza is holding one for you, Natalie, but only for today because of the demand. Her phone is 202-966-9700. Ask for her at Guerlain.

Charlestongirl said...

Note: This collection has not arrived at most retailers yet. Even my favorite Guerlain boutique in Las Vegas hadn't received the collection as of Saturday. If you want any of the items, have patience; they will arrive soon.

Jo said...

I think I'm going to "need" this LOL! Thanks for posting it.

Unknown said...

Какой он замечательный!;) Спасибо за обзор и показательные свотчи!;)))
Очень ждем в продаже и постоянной коллекции!;)))

Natalie said...

You're the absolute best! Calling now! Xoxox

Nat

Anonymous said...

Damn you! You always post things I want....then suddenly I NEED to ihave it after your review. Argh.

I need a new bronzer like i need an extra boob. But, this will be mine!

Eileen said...

I can hardly wait for this to arrive at the local counter. I've worn Terracotta in 01 for years and have never been disappointed in it. Last year I purchased the new Sun Blonds in 02 and 04, but those are more like bronzer/ blusher hybrids. When I wear those, I don't use any additional blusher. I just go back and pick up an extra bit of the pink to boost the color on my cheeks. I was very interested in the 4 Seasons bronzer when it was first introduced, but the original two color options didn't quite suit me. With this expanded offering, I'm sure to find one that will be exactly what I'm looking for :-)

Charlestongirl said...

You do, Jo!

Charlestongirl said...

Лилия Вишневская,

I used Google translate to read your comment. Thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

LOL, Anonymous, it's only money.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Same for me. I couldn't have imagined that it would get better, but it did.

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

Ahhh so excited these are out! I am going to MAKE some time for a quick NM stop sometime this week to check these guys out! :D

Charlestongirl said...

Becca, call first!

AZ said...

When I saw the pictures you posted of new Dior products, their bronzer reminded me of this one. It'd be interesting to see how the Dior one compares to Guerlain.

Nina said...

Oh CG! First Dior and now this! I can't wait! Thank you for being first with all the news we want to hear - you are a gem of a blogger!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Nina!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi AZ,

Hard to tell at this point...except to pull out last summer's version from Dior.

AZ said...

Yea good thing this is permanent. I want to try the Dior one when it comes out and see how it is. If it's terrible I can always (finally) fork out the money for the Guerlain one, which I've been eyeing for like two years...

Ellen said...

Which Bobbi Brown bronzers look like blushes? I can't use her blushes because they are all too cool, and I can't really use bronzers because they come out orange on me. I last bronzer I loved was when Tom Ford did a summer line with Estee Lauder. The slightly shimmery bronzer was really a slightly taupe tone. Its pretty much gone but I still have the package. I bought at least 3 or 4 of the golden brown shimmer lipstick from that line (cleaned Bloomingdale's out) because I knew I might never find a color like that again, but I never thought I'd love a bronzer enough to finish it, especially one so big!! I'm hoping that now that Tom Ford has his own line of make up that I will be able to find such colors again. We don't have a Tom Ford counter here yet. Until then, any recommendations you have for brown tone products for a fair redhead that won't turn orange would be greatly appreciated. Keep up the great work!!

Ellen said...

Do the Guerlain products have fragrance? I got a sample of an almost perfect foundation shade of theirs from Sephora, but it smelled like a candy store. Not bad if you are in a candy store, but too irritating for me to wear all day. Too bad!!!

Charlestongirl said...

Ellen, this powder doesn't smell.

The Bobbi Brown are here: http://www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com/products/2324/Makeup/Cheeks/Bronzers/index.tmpl?cm_sp=Gnav-_-Makeup-_-Cheeks-Bronzers

Look at both types, regular and illuminating.

I have that old gigantic TF for EL bronzer! Isn't it amazing? I will have it for life, I'm sure.

Ellen said...

I absolutely adore this. I had just bought one of the regular bronzers from Guerlain, and love it, but this is IT. This is the bronzer I've been waiting for. On my fair skin (NC15), it looks luminous and not orange, and the texture is sublime. Oh my goodness, I'm in love.

Anonymous said...

Do you think this will look good on a pale NW15 girl? I like what bronzers do but I need to stay away from anything orange or yellow. I just want a swipe of warmth!

Charlestongirl said...

Yes, I do, ElvenEyes.

Unknown said...

Charleston girl , I'm looking into getting a guerlain bronzer , not sure if I want a new 4 season or terracotta sheer . I know you own both . Which do you prefer . I would be blonde shade in sheer and natural blonde in 4 season . Thank you

Anonymous said...

I love this bronzer! Do you know if it's limited edition?

Charlestongirl said...

Anon, I believe it's a permanent addition to the line. As permanent as anything is. :)