Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Diorshow Mono Wet & Dry Backstage Eyeshadow

I'm just a bit late to the party, but I finally saw and selected four of the new Diorshow Mono Wet & Dry Backstage Eyeshadows ($29). Actually, I selected five, but somehow, in the crowded confusion that was Neiman Marcus on a Beauty Event Saturday, I came home with two of one I had selected instead of five distinct shadows.

With their irresistible embossed "logomania" motif, the single-shade eye shadows by Tyen, Creative Director of Dior Makeup, set the tone for fashion-forward eyes. Choose from two groups of colours to create a natural, playful, or sophisticated look.

Timeless essentials, the Nude shades, create discreet, flawless eyes for perfect no-makeup makeup. Misty, seductive and bewitching, the palette of Smoky shades provides endless variations on the mysterious and sublime.

To vary the effects, these highly desirable colors can create two finishes: a very light halo applied with the dry applicator for day wear or a wet version for intense and vibrant color with magnetic shimmer for evening.

With eight shades from which to choose, I quickly zeroed in on my kind of colors. From left to right above, they are Camouflage (477), Panama (566), Ribbon (623), and Grége (726). Nude (506) is the shade that didn't make it home with me.

These are nicely textured eye shadows, with beautifully even coverage. The sparkly ones aren't too sparkly. They are sophisticated, as advertised.

I took swatch photos in full sunshine. I swatched heavily (and dry) with a sponge-tipped applicator in the order shown above, starting with Camouflage at the top of my arm.

Camouflage is a fabulous color - a hybrid of grey and green to my eyes. I love it. It's my favorite of the four I purchased. The brown, Panama, is a chocolate brown that is a good shade for most women. I wouldn't apply it as heavily on my eyelids, and because I'm fair, it may be relegated to the outer V or for use as a liner.

Ribbon is a shimmering pink that makes a perfect base shade for all of the colors. I selected Grége because it's unique. It reminds me of the color of hosiery for some reason. While The Non-Blonde found it disappointing when used dry, it was plenty dark for my skin. I agree with her that it's a great crease shade for the office (well, she didn't exactly say that, but you get the idea).

For a grouping of neutral colors with some pizazz, this Dior Collection is a success. There are some colors, such as the black Khôl, that strike me as poorly conceived. If you want a black eyeliner, buy one. Had it been in a palette, it would have made more sense. On its own, it's too artsy. The Velvet shade will appeal to anyone who can wear a smoky plum.

All Dior counters should have these new eye shadows now - or in the very near future. You can see and order them at Dior's Web site.

Photo at top courtesy of Dior; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

5 comments:

LoveSugarBabyDoll said...

i am finally going to play with these later this afternoon! i love the Dior YouTube videos for these mono shadows. such fun and refreshing looks.

Lisa said...

Camouflage was my favorite as well. The only original shade out of the bunch. It really must be seen in person to appreciate all the dimension and depth to this beautiful shade! Thank you for the post.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi LSBD,

Hope you had fun!

Charlestongirl said...

So true, Lisa. When you think about it, there are only so many colors we can wear on our eyes (and look somewhat normal). I don't envy designers the job of coming up with "new and exciting" all the time.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I am suck a sucker for the "imprinting" on the top of colors...even when it only lasts a time or two. But that green at the top is GORGEOUS!