Sunday, October 18, 2009

Best Drugstore Beauty: Vichy Aqualia Thermal Mineral Balm

Vichy's new Aqualia Thermal Mineral Balm Rehydrating and Repairing Care ($32) is a powerful moisturizer. Packed with the healing signature Vichy Thermal Spa Water and minerals, this protective formula is paraben-, fragrance-, and colorant-free. This product is prefect for women (and men) with dry and/or dehydrated skin. I'm finding it an ideal "antidote" for our leap into dry fall weather.

You may have read about new Vichy introductions in an earlier Best Things in Beauty posting. The balm contains Omega 6 oils that are said to reach into tiny skin fissures and envelope the skin in a fine protective layer. The 15 trace elements and minerals in its ingredients include calcium and magnesium (protective), potassium (hydrating), silicium (regenerating), and iron (soothing).

I am using the Aqualia Thermal Mineral Balm as a night moisturizer. It's creamy and rich. Trust me, a little goes a long way! I adore the pump container, which makes it so convenient to use, and I love the fact that it's fragrance-free. I can feel the protective barrier on my face when I awaken in the morning, so I know the balm is doing its work to keep my own moisture in and protect my skin from the drying air.

Vichy says the mineral balm can also be used as a mask to soothe very dehydrated skin. If you choose to use it as a mask, apply a generous layer on skin, leave it on for 10-15 minutes, then tissue off the excess. You certainly wouldn't want to tissue it all off - it's a fabulous moisturizer.

You can purchase the Aqualia Thermal Mineral Balm at the Vichy-USA Web site, where Vichy Skin Care Passport Members get free shipping with purchases over $50, free shipping with the purchase of certain products, and with the code TOTEBAG can get a turquoise tote with a purchase of $65.

You can also find Vichy products at the CVS Healthy Skincare stores (larger CVS stores), where you won't have to worry about shipping costs and you can get instant gratification. If you can find your way to the Ballston Mall in Arlington, Virginia, ask for Kathy Shoreman, the CVS Beauty Manager. She will give you samples of Vichy products to try at home.

This product deserves its Best Drugstore Beauty label.

Photo courtesy of Vichy USA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, what a great, comprehensive review of a fabulous new product! Yes, I too love the new Mineral Balm - here in Virginia, winter weather seems to have set in early and my skin has let me know it! I knew I was in trouble when I could see my foundation caking and emphasizing the flaky dryness of my vast stretch of forehead - what to use that I could still wear foundation over, but would instantly remedy the dryness? Mineral Balm to the RESCUE! Love it for the same reasons that CharlestonGirl does -- the texture, the lack of fragrance that might irritate my already sensitive dry skin - the healing minerals. The last thing I used that came close to this balm but cost far more money was Ahava Replenishing creme for severely dry skin - but that was heavily fragranced. I love this balm's versatility as well - my children are getting the cold weather cheek-eczema early - you know, that red rash around the mouth and cheeks that can ruin a photo, not to mention make your kids uncomfortable? This is the perfect solution - not greasy like vaseline or Aquaphor. I feel good using this on my four-year-old redhead daughter's cheeks, because I know that it is tested on sensitive skin! And, it won't stain her clothes the way greasy balms will.
I especially love that I can get this miracle cure in my local drugstore - I don't have to order online or schlep to Sephora!

Charlestongirl said...

Wow, Anonymous, we need to meet! Please e-mail me at bestthingsinbeauty@gmail.com so we can get acquainted.

Fall is swinging from cold and wet to hot and dry, and my skin hates those extremes. My new Vichy moisturizer has certainly eased the transition.

I'm not quite sure why it's named "balm," since it's so creamy. Often, balms are semi-solid. This one's a dreamy cream. Glad you like it too!