Saturday, October 31, 2009

Living Proof Shampoo and Conditioner

You have probably seen the advertisements for Living Proof's relatively new "no-frizz" hair care products. They have been prominently featured by Sephora, and I was intrigued from the get-go. Billed as revolutionary products featuring the first new anti-frizz technology in over 30 years, Living Proof's shampoos and conditioners promise to weightlessly hydrate the hair, effectively block humidity, and enhance shine for truly sleek locks. The key ingredient, PolyfluoroEster, is said to create an invisible shield on the hair shafts to lock in moisture and repel dirt and oil so that you can go longer between washes to "break the frizz and damage cycle."

Here's what I had read. "Whether you've got curly cues or stick-straight strands, at some point you'll be affected by the dreaded frizz—the annoying change in hair texture that takes you from slick to static in any humid situation." Bloggers were abuzz! The girls were loving this stuff, so I sprang for the shampoo and conditioner. Did they match their hype? Not for me!

As a rule, I don't like to write about products that don't perform - it's just not fun. Living Proof falls into its own special category. I actually liked the Living Proof Shampoo ($24) and Living Proof Conditioner ($24), when considered as regular hair care products, but I found that they did nothing at all to block humidity, prevent frizz, or give me an extra day between washes.

What's to like? They have a very nice, light fragrance that doesn't linger in my hair. The shampoo lathers well, and the conditioner is hydrating and detangling. They provide bounce and shine. I used them up - emptied each container.

I have straight fine hair, so it's not hair one would call frizzy. However, like most women, I have some damage: a split end here and there and some broken hairs all over. It's the damage that creates what I call frizz. Unless they are plastered down, humidity makes the damaged hairs want to stand up and look disorderly. The Living Proof products did nothing to prevent that. Perhaps I should have used the No Frizz Straight Making Styling Spray ($24), but I wanted to see if the shampoo and conditioner lived up to their promises before I invested. I don't think I'll be spending that money.

It's certainly possible that I was a bad test subject! If you have truly frizzy hair and have tried these products, please tell us about your experience in the comments.

You can purchase Living Proof products from Sephora.

Photo courtesy of Sephora

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spot-on review girlfriend!!

OK shampoo and conditioner, but too expensive since I still had frizzy long hair.

Unknown said...

Should have tried their original product. I am sure you can get a sample at sephora. I have not had one bad hair day even thru London fall and NYC subway humid summer in the year I have been using this.

Charlestongirl said...

Arghhh...which original product? I tried to get samples at Sephora, but my Sephora was wiped out. Which product are you using? Mine had "Frizz" with the strikethrough at the top and humidity blocking in the name, just like the photo with this posting.

We all want good hair days, so now I'm totally envious!

Anonymous said...

This shampoo, conditioner and styling lotion are amazing. They make my hair totally different. Added benefits are that my hair takes a lot less time to blow dry, it styles easier, and indeed I do have to wash it less. I am so happy I tried this.