Saturday, October 10, 2009

Truth in Mascara Advertising?

I think one could properly categorize what follows here as a rant. Why does every advertisement for mascara show a model or celebrity with false eyelashes, trying to make us think that the "mascara did it"?

A great example of egregious ads is the Eva Longoria campaign for L'Oreal Paris mascara. Don't get me wrong - I think Eva is a doll. But why do we need false eyelashes to show that a mascara is great? A You Tube version has a printed disclaimer that Eva is wearing "lash inserts." I've seen no such admission in the print ads.

Another example? Check out the magazine ads for Maybelline's new battery-powered mascara. The model's eyelashes nearly reach her eyebrows. Perfect and fake fringe.

Look at mascara advertisements carefully, and you will find that most of the models are wearing extras. I've been doing the "mental tally" on this for months; that's probably why I'm so worked up. Do they think we're stupid?

6 comments:

adrian said...

I agree that advertising should be more realistic. I'm surprised the you-tube video even disclosed the info. Guess that's a step in the right direction for the company to at least admit it. Would like to see the same for print ads.

Charlestongirl said...

Me too, Adrian! Yesterday, as I did my Saturday chilling, I examined every model and celebrity in beauty ads. Some of them went without false eyelashes, although their photos may have been altered to remove imperfections. Wouldn't the marketing types have a meltdown if they had to disclose?

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, this is one thing that has always bothered me *so* much! I mean, I know they use Photoshop and lots of other tricks in advertising, but in mascara ads they don't even try to to make it realistic. Do they really think we're that stupid? >:(

Charlestongirl said...

Yep! I realize that advertising can be "fantasy land," but there's something about these ads that bothers me. I don't know why they wouldn't take someone with natural lashes and give us a "before and after." Maybe the mascara can't stand up to the test?

Unknown said...

In the uk for about a year now they have had to say 'filmed with lash inserts and enhanced in post production' also in hair dye ads they say 'filmed with some natural hair extensions cared for with x- brand'

Charlestongirl said...

Now that's truth in advertising! I wish we had such candor in the U.S.