Sunday, June 24, 2012

Chanel Lumiere D'Artifices Beiges Illuminating Powder with Shimmer from Les Essentials de Chanel for Fall 2012

Here's the Chanel piece from Les Essentials de Chanel for Fall 2012 you've been anticipating. Lumiere D'Artifices Beiges Illuminating Powder with Shimmer (Poudre Illuminatrice Iridescente in French) ($75). I'll tell you right up front that I love it!

Lumiere D'Artifices Beiges is unlike many of Chanel's golden highlighters, which can be a little too shimmery or a little too sheer, making them hard to apply evenly. This one hit the spot. Yes, there's a shimmer overspray that gives it pizazz in the case, but you'll run right through that quickly. Then, you'll have a beautiful gleaming powder that adds a gorgeous golden glow to your face, eyes, or wherever you choose to use it for a little extra attention.

The sequin pattern is elegant, stamped into the top layer of the striped palette - so very Chanel. Do you remember the Lumiere D'Artifices Eyeshadow from Chanel (circa 2007), inspired by the countless dresses that adorn the shimmering sequins done by Chanel's master embroiderers? The sequins are back - but this time in this gorgeous illuminator.

For Fall 2012 Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld sent glitter-studded, sparkle-emblazoned, and mineral-inspired fashions down a crystal-adorned runway. The makeup collection isn't quite as bold. This sequin-imprinted palette may be the flashiest piece in Les Essentials de Chanel. Even the name of the collection has the reassuring connotation of makeup essentials.

Even though the stripes in the palette are light beige and a darker beige with a rosy hue, the overall effect is golden beige, with a wearable suggestion of peach or brown, depending on the lighting.

I snapped many swatch photos and will show you three here. I applied Lumiere D'Artifices Beiges very heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator at the top of my arm, then I applied a larger swatch below with a dense blush brush (unevenly, it appears). For both swatches, I ran the applicator across the striped shades. I took my photos in full sun.

I hope you can see that this powder is not extra-glittery, as some recent Chanel highlighting powders have been. It leaves a shimmering, gleaming finish on my skin, and when applied lightly, makes me glow. It's near perfect to my eyes.

I like the golden tone. It has a touch of peachy-brown in it, making the shade appropriate for the darker shades of autumn, but that same tone will work beautifully now for suntanned beauties sporting their summer tans (hopefully created with self-tanning products, not the sun's rays). The palette comes with the usual velveteen pouch and a brush in its own pouch.

This one's a keeper. It won't sink to the bottom of the highlighter pile here. I'll be wearing it. Next up in my features? Lip colors! There are some fabulous shades in multiple formulas. I also purchased two of the new Soft Touch single eye shadows, and I love them! I may have skipped the quad, but I found plenty to love in this collection.

Today, Chanel.com doesn't appear to have the collection available online, but many Chanel counters have received it. Among them are Bergdorf Goodman (hopefully you won't get the dimwit who helped me - ask for Ivan if he's there) and certain Neiman Marcus stores. If you need a name and phone, I provided it to readers in the comments associated with the Rose Initiale Joues Contraste Powder Blush feature below (scroll down).

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

17 comments:

Jo said...

So pretty CG. Did you happen to purchase the beige lip gloss in this collection? That caught my eye in all the preview pictures I've seen. As always, thanks for the great swatches.

Nemo said...

I have a box full of CHANEL highlighters, always dubbed as the "star" of each collection. And for too long I always bought them. I stopped doing that many collections ago. Why? Because I found I just.don't. use. them. One highlighter per woman per lifetime is more than enough, and the same goes for this one. Sorry!

lov2read68 said...

I love the design on this highlighter but I will just enjoy pictures of it. I still battle oily skin so I provide my own sheen. I know all skin types have their own challenges but when I see a gorgeous highlighter like this I wish for dry skin! The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!

LoveSugarBabyDoll said...

with my pinkish skin- i find golden beige difficult at times
Charleston Girl- do you have pink undertones? how do you find this compares to the Lumiere Sculptee de Chanel (Holiday 20111) and the Poudre Lumiere Perlee (hesitating as this may be a "Nordies conflict" item/sorry)?

no matter the case- i will be at my counter to play with this collection as soon as it is available. this highlighter looks gorgeous!

i think i am over stimulated by the sheer number of Chanel collections- Fleur de Lotus, Bleu, Les Essentials, and hints of Holiday 2012.

Did you purchase/try the silver eyeliner? I hope you did as I would love to see your review!

Nancy Pierson said...

I'm trying Not to like it because I have way too many Chanel Highlighters.

Rosemary said...

Ah, this is so lovely, but not for me. I am quite pale, with pink undertones, and yet I somehow "warm things up" as a Chanel MUA once told me. No doubt, a golden beige would not work for me.

I adore my Chanel Brompton Road highlighter/blush, and will content myself with that.

Thank you for swatching it for us, CG. I look forward to the lip colors.

Rosemary

Winnie said...

I love my Chanel Sable Beige (both as bronzer and highlighter). Is there big difference between the two? Thanks.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Jo!

I didn't buy the gloss. It looks very pretty, but I have so many in this color range.

Charlestongirl said...

Well, Love2read, a powder may help you with that oil. :)

Charlestongirl said...

LSBD, I do have pink undertones. I don't have time, unfortunately, to dig out all the "priors," but this one impresses me with the antique cast (created by the brown hues). Try it in the store if you can!

Charlestongirl said...

Nancy and Nemo, I'm a bad role model, but don't buy it if you don't need another one. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Rosemary,

Same advice: try it to see how it looks on your skin. You might be surprised. :)

Charlestongirl said...

I think so, Winnie. The summer shade is much lighter.

yesplease1816 said...

is it bad if I want it mainly because the sequin embossing it SO darn pretty?!? :P

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Yesplease,

Whatever catches your eye! :)

atty_BK said...

The problem with this highlighter is that if you put it on top of your blush-on as highlighter, it becomes dark brown for those with yellowish skins. I prefer Givenchy healthy glow powder that comes in different shades.

Resham said...

I picked this today and I am NC43 in MAC. Skin normal to dry. Is this a good choice, as I am confused reading multiple reviews. Some said its Powdery...

at a whopping price of $70 I really don;t want to keep wrong product. Also don't want to ruin by trying once and returning it...

The SA tried on my face... it looked nice... but then everything looks nice in those lights...

advice appreciated. thank you... :)