Thursday, June 14, 2012

Simply Vera Vera Wang Cosmetics Transforming Shadow Duos

Who hasn't heard of Vera Wang? Her high-profile fashion empire produces some of the most beautiful and desirable bridal gowns in the world. She has had a relationship with Kohl's since 2007, one of the first high-end designers to partner with a mass market retailer to make available women's apparel sporting her name.

In April, Kohl's launched Vera Wang color cosmetics under the Simply Vera brand, along with the BeautyBank division of the Estée Lauder Cos. Inc. I've been curious ever since, but had not been able to make my way to Kohl's. I have a good reason.

We inside-the-Beltway types, often derided by people outside the Washington area because we pay more attention to the halls of Congress and the White House than the average American, don't often venture outside the Beltway - not because there's anything wrong with shopping outside the Beltway. As long as you don't mind spending over an hour to travel 8-10 miles, there's no problem crossing the great divide. I don't have that kind of time lately. I can't even get to the "roads to Kohl's" during outbound rush hour because of HOV restrictions.

The Simply Vera folks saved me, sending me some of the products to try. When the colors arrived, I felt like I'd won the lottery.  Every blue box I opened showed me something gorgeous - something I loved at first sight. This feature will be the first in a series showing you the gorgeous Vera Wang cosmetics available at Kohl's.

“Vera Wang brings legitimacy to color cosmetics first and foremost because she is a woman,” said Veronique Gabai-Pinsky, global brand president of Aramis and Designer Fragrances, BeautyBank, and Idea Bank at Lauder. “She is a woman designing for women - and very often on their wedding day, a day when they want to feel their most beautiful. Vera’s approach to beauty is very much in line with her approach and aesthetics in fashion. It’s about enhancing a woman’s natural beauty by creating a perfect skin canvas, and then allowing the woman to express her personality and embellish through color. The Simply Vera Vera Wang Cosmetics collection gives her the platform and the opportunity to connect with them even further by completing the full Simply Vera Vera Wang lifestyle experience for them at Kohl’s.” [from WWD]

Many of the Simply Vera products, which range in price from $16.50 to $39.50, straddle the line between color and treatment, a necessity for Wang, who is religious about protecting her skin to “create the perfect canvas” for colors to follow. Eye shadow duos retail for $19.50 apiece, while smoothing lip colors are $18.50. “Kohl’s has brands that are broken down into good, better, and best,” said Julie Howard, senior vice president of global marketing and new brand development for BeautyBank. “This brand is in their best range.”

Forget price for a few moments and focus on colors! Everything I have here from Simply Vera is drop-dead gorgeous. This is better than Missoni for Target. Simply Vera offers the luxury and quality of high-end cosmetics for a fraction of the price.

Today, I'll show you two (of 14) Simply Vera Vera Wang Cosmetics Transforming Shadow Duos ($19.50): #402 and #407. I couldn't believe it when I opened the beautiful black compacts. The colors looked exquisite, the compacts had all the quality of duos twice the price, and they came with the requisite sponge-tipped applicator and mirrored snap-down lid.

My photos were taken in full sun, and for some reason, the compact on the left above, #402, looks more pink in my photo than it appears "in real life." Both duos are lust-worthy. I was stunned - they were way more exciting than I had anticipated.

I swatched each shadow with a sponge-tipped applicator, applying them heavily to ensure adequate color representations. I started with #402, swatching the left shade first and the right shade below on my arm. The third and fourth swatches on my arm are #407 - equally desirable.

From #402, the base shade is an ivory that almost matches me. I'm sure it's hard to see at the top of my arm. It is paired with a taupe with a hint of mauve. Neither shade is too pink or too red, and they both look lovely on my eyelids. The base has a satin finish, and the mauve taupe has a subtle shimmer. No glitter, no little pieces of anything, just a sheen that's stunning.

I started to drool when I applied #407. Look at the shades! A hybrid between gold and taupe is paired with a medium-toned brown with a hint of copper. Exquisite! Both have that sheen that makes my eyes pop.

Matte and shimmering tones in the line provide options for you to pick your favorites. I've got to get to Khol's - maybe on a weekend. There are other duos I must see. I've always got the option to go online, and I may do that, particularly since these eye shadows are gorgeous and the store will be sold out of most of them if I go. It's Murphy's Law. Anyhow, Khol's has great online photos, which show every compact when you select it from the little squares. They make shopping online easy.

I've got a lot more to show you. The blush is next. Stay tuned. Have you tried these beauties? If so, do you have favorites? I've got a lot of catching up to do, and I'm excited about it.

Photo at top courtesy of Simply Vera; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

6 comments:

grlnxdor said...

Kohl's is the best I can do without driving 1.5-2 hours so I'm really excited to take a look at everything Vera has to offer! Love those swatches, Charlestongirl!

lovethescents said...

Wow, great price point too....I though Kohl's is a book store?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi grlnxdor!

Then this line should make you very happy! :) Thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents, it's like a Target.

kellinicole86 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kellinicole86 said...

thanks for sharing these! they look awesome, it has stylish brand name attached (LOVE Vera) and a student friendly price point, yay : )