Friday, June 8, 2012

The Friday Forum - June 8

It's most definitely a TGIF kind of Friday! I'll have a shorter-than-usual work day because I'm going over to Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie to see Erin Lockard, Le Métier de Beauté makeup artist extraordinaire. I want Erin to show me how to make the Indian Summer orange pop good, not loud, on my face. Naturally, I'm thrilled to see Erin after months. It should be a fun afternoon. Plus, I get to pick up my Camp Gorgeous pre-orders.

Yesterday, we celebrated my mother's 90th birthday. It was low key, actually. I took her out to lunch the day before, and we'll go somewhere nicer on Saturday.  On Wednesday, I took the day off from work to take Mom to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles to trade in her expiring driver's license for an ID. I had been promised that she would be "expedited," and that we would be out of there in 10 minutes. Wow! It worked. I was so impressed that the faceless bureaucracy could actually keep its promises. We went from there to Jason's Deli for a reuben, and then on to Mom's doctor for an appointment.  She has developed a lot of edema in her legs again, and it's troublesome. Anyhow, we were all worn out by the time I got her home. That's a big day for someone who rarely leaves home. Yesterday after work, I delivered a fruit tart from one of our area's nicest bakeries. I hear she liked it. Saturday, we'll go to our favorite place for crab cakes and steak.

I am eager to get my Rouge Bunny Rouge order. Yesterday, I received a note in my mailbox that I had received a registered package, but I think that's perfume. I won't know until tomorrow because there's no way to get to the Post Office today. Their banker's hours are so restrictive, that you're out of luck if you work. If they ever do away with Saturday morning hours at the Post Office, I may have to jump back into my civic activist mode.

I know all of you troll for photos of upcoming color collections. I've seen them here and there on the Web. Although I am "on the list" for Chanel's boutique-exclusive colors expected in a few weeks, it's fall that's on my radar.  Chanel's fall collection looks very pretty. I'm also thrilled about Chantecaille's next palette. We have a long wait, but as soon as the launch gets close, I'll tell you about it. I always love fall makeup introductions. The lush colors, which always arrive in the summer, make me dream of fall fashion, embellishments, and gem-toned fashion. I'm sure this year will be no different. We'll all find a few must-haves. My challenge will be to limit the list. Have you already started a fall want list?

I've been enjoying my Rouge Coco Shine in En Vogue, and I've received an unusual share of compliments on it. Who would have thought that I'd be reaching for a peachy coral every day? It's such a perky shade! If you didn't give it a close look at the Chanel counter, try to stop by soon. I heard last weekend that the summer collection is almost sold out. Speaking of last weekend, I had a Le Métier de Beauté facial at Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie. Good friends (Eddie Hernandez from Chantecaille in New York [shown below] and I got some quality time to visit), Champagne, and a facial and makeup application. It was a nice Saturday. Michael Reinhardt has started holding Le Métier de Beauté facial events regularly (upstairs in a private room), so if you are local to DC, call him for the next opportunity.

It's time for the Friday Forum, our open chat. What new products did you discover this week? Did you find any deals you couldn't resist? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By early the next week, most (not all) readers will have moved on.

Don't forget to enter the giveaway contest for Tarte's Glossed Over PureOptic Lipgloss Collection. It's a nice set and will give the winner an instant lip gloss wardrobe. The deadline is tomorrow, Saturday, June 9, at midnight.

I'm off for now. It's Friday trash pick-up day, so before I can dash off for work, I need to haul everything outside. See you later!

Photo by Best Things in Beauty

31 comments:

toughdoc said...

Beautiful picture, is that a dogwood?
So glad your Mom is doing OK for now, and congrats to her on turning 90! My birthday is this week too so wish her a happy one from a fellow Gemini!
My self-gift this week was Guerlain--the Emilio Pucci Meteorites (AMAZING AND GORGEOUS) , and the bronzer in Sun Blondes 04, a bit ore pinkish tone to that bronzer makes it more lively. I splurged on the Cologne du 68, it's kind of spicy-herbal but cool and light, I could see it appealing to men as well, but I don't believe fragrance has a gender :-)
I got the Dior lipgloss in Panama Brown, which isn't brown really but a soft golden nude, perfect for applying without a mirror. Very moisturizing.
Have a wonderful time at your makeup appointment and have a lovely weekend! Thank you for your informative and fun blog!! XXOO!!!

lovethescents said...

Happy Birthday, Charlestonlady! Glad you had some time together and a little fun too :-)

I think it's wonderful you got makeup compliments. I love that! I got some compliments on my lippie last week as well. I was in LMdB's Kissable Koral from last year's collection. I so regret not having purchased the Bordeaux with matching polish.....

Is there something for spring or summer, as in moisture lipstain with matching polish? The LMdB polish is excellent, I think.

Now considering Paris or Dubai, decisions, decisions.

I'm also considering getting my lashes tinted. Might make jumping out of the pool look a bit more glam, no?

Vanessa Ivelich said...

Is there where I post my questions? If not, please redirect!
My blond highlights over brown color are turing brassy. I have long, curly hair that is dry as I live in a desert. I avoid sulfates and such as they strip the hair of all moisture, including color. All the shampoo/toners seem to have sulfate as a leading ingredient.
I need something effective but gentle. Any suggestions?
Many thanks,
Vanessa

Anonymous said...

My post office has the worst hours now. only open from 9 to noon and from 1 to 4 M-F. They took away the lunch hours and Satruday mornings, making it impossible for me to use that PO. I have to drive across town if I want to mail something.
My On The Coast Kaleidescope from Saks is finally out for delivery today! Can't wait to see it in person.

Adelle said...

I'm going through a major skincare and cosmetics shopping phase. I couldn't resist the 20% discount off British products on BeautyHabit so I made an order for RBR and Steamcream (can't resist those cute tins). Now I'm drooling over the Gilt special on Amore Pacific sample sets. I've never tried that line but it always makes me curious why a face cream goes for 450$ - something that I would never be able to afford, so I'm thinking should I buy the sample set ?!

Anyhow, enjoy your weekend, have fun shopping at Neimans and Happy Bday to your mom!

AnndD said...

Vanessa, I don't know your price range, but I have to suggest Pureology line. My hairdresser uses this and Redken All Soft on my dry color treated hair. Redken does have sulfates, Pureology does not. These can be found at salons and even Ulta. I also use argan oil on the ends of my hair before I shampoo and I have stopped shampooing daily, just every third day.

Best of luck,
AnneD

Eileen said...

Happy Birthday to your dear mom :-) Ninety is quite a milestone, isn't it. I really like that you've been able to celebrate over several days. A little something special here; a little something special there. A delicious deli sandwich, a luscious fruit tart, a nice dinner out, and most important of all--time spent in each other's company. Spending time together, enjoying some simple pleasures, is the perfect gift.

Oh, my goodness! So many gorgeous collections will be coming out over the next couple of months. The promo pictures have me all but drooling on my iPad! I love the combination of smokiness and light that hints of cooler weather to come. As exemplified by Chanel and Suqqu, this combination of light and dark looks so fresh: classic smokiness along the upper lashes and lid, but light along the lower lashes. Beautiful! So, I'm being a good girl, saving my pennies, getting ready for the big autumn splurges that are just around the corner. I'm sure that you, dear Charlestongirl, will be tempting us with all kinds of beautiful products :-)

Hi Toughdoc,

Aren't the Météorites simply the best? They create such a neutral, soft, velvety glow that is the perfect backdrop for summer's bright and sparkly shades. I love those little balls of magic! And Sunblonds 04 is the perfect swipe, glow, and go summertime bronzer. I started with Blonds 02 for spring, but now that 80+ degree days are upon us, I'm reaching for Sunblonds to create the typical So Cal summer look. I know you're going to get lots of use out of your new goodies.

Hi Lovethescents,

A friend of mine gets her eyelashes and eyebrows tinted and loves the result. She's a natural pale blond and without a bit of tint, her brows and lashes disappear completely. I don't know if it makes emerging from the pool more glam, but it certainly makes it less scary! LOL

Hi Adelle,

AmorePacific is a very nice luxury brand. I've gotten different samples of their creams during various beauty events and have always loved them, but not enough to part with the big bucks. One of their products, though, that I do purchase (and is very reasonably priced) is the Treatment Enzyme Peel. I use it weekly and have been using it for the past three years. It is very gentle on the skin, yet it does an excellent job of ridding the skin of surface debris. It doesn't use any hash chemical exfoliants or scrubbing beads but relies on botanical enzymes to clear the skin. It's good stuff.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone.

Soni said...

Yay! Happy Birthday to your mom!!!

I'm jealous of your appt with Erin...but I'm excited as I just connected with her on FB & she told me that she would be out of town (obviously to see you!) and then I will be leaving for Cancun this Tuesday. So we are supposed to be meeting up when I get back & I'm almost more excited about that than I am about Cancun!

Isn't getting compliments the best? Especially when you have something new on!

Vanessa, I agree with Anne about Pureology. It's a GREAT haircare line.

Eileen, I agree about all the fabulous collections coming out. I. CAN'T. WAIT. I think fall/winter collections are my favorite. (goes best with my coloring)

Happy weekend everyone!!!!

grlnxdor said...

I'd like to sing the praises of Lorac TANtalizer Deep Body Bronzing Luminizer. It gives my legs the perfect tan look. It smell slightly like vanilla which is sooo much better than the self-tanners I had been using in the past. I always found self-tanners to require a lot work to keep looking good. With this product I just shower it off and reapply when needed. Brilliant!

Charlestongirl said...

Hey everyone,

I just got home, very late, and will reply in the morning! Thank you! Love hearing about your week.

Mary Ann said...

Happy Birthday to your mom, I agree it is nice to celebrate over a couple of days. I took your advice and bought the Kitteneseque Perfume from Kohl's. A little strong at first but once it dries down very pretty and long wearing. Where can I find pics of the upcoming Chanel Boutigue Collection? I've seen the fall collection, looks gorgeous. Thank you.

Eileen said...

Hi Mary Ann,

Amy at Café Makeup has a nice post that shows promos of all the Chanel collections that will be coming out this summer: Les Expressions de Chanel (date unknown), Chanel Bombay Express (June), Blue Illusion (July), Les Essentiels de Chanel (Aug.), and Le Blanc de Chanel Fleur de Lotus (Asian exclusive rumored to be coming July/August).

Hi Soni,

Like you, I'm firmly in the fall/winter camp when it comes to fashion and makeup and I absolutely love what I've been seeing for autumn. Judging from your picture, these collections were tailor-made for you :-)

Walls said...

Happy belated birthday to your mother! I'm pleased you're celebrating in such fine fashion. Funny that you mentioned Chanel's Rouge Coco Shine in En Vogue because I've been wearing it almost non-stop since purchasing it last month. I, too, didn't think that I would like it as much as I do. It's brighter than the colour I typically wear, but due to the formula, it's subtler than it looks in the tube. Oddly enough, I also placed a RBR order. I picked up the tinted moisturizer and a number of items from the Mistral summer collection. I couldn't resist getting some of their sheer lipsticks as well. As it turns out, these days I am a sheer lipstick kind of gal. It just works for me because there's less maintenance involved and the look I achieve is more natural.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Eileen said...

Hi Mary Ann,

Me again. I forgot to mention that Glossy Esquire also has some gorgeous pictures of the Chanel collections--makeup and fashion.

Walls said...

Vanessa,

I would recommend Rahua Shampoo. I also have a very sensitive scalp, and I have been using the original formula for about a month with excellent results. It's recommended for dyed hair, too, though I use it to excellent effect and I don't colour my hair. It's gentle, has nearly no scent, and is extremely nourishing. The price point is on the high side, but I think it's worth it!

Laetitia said...

It seems like you celebrated your mother's birthday in a special way. How nice! The crab cakes you mentioned sound delicious.

Decided to give my skin care routine a facelift this week. It's time for a new serum. I selected Omorovicza's gold flash firming. It'll be interesting to see if it really can plump, firm and correct skin tone.

Charlestongirl said...

Happy birthday, Toughdoc!

Yes, it's a Kousa dogwood. I love it year round. The squirrels and birds love it in the fall.

You bought two beautiful things! Hope you enjoy them!

Charlestongirl said...

Oh Lovethescents, why worry about the pool look? Keep those salons away from your eyes!

I haven't seen any matching stain-polish duos lately. The last were the LMdB ones. There are some nicely coordinating colors from many lines, but the summer intros are getting sparse at counters. Did you look at LMdB Indian Summer? You could probably pull off the orange.

Charlestongirl said...

Vanessa,

There are shampoos made especially to keep your highlights from getting brassy. They are often a horrible blue or purple, but they work!

You can find them in most brands, from Clairol at the drugstore to higher-end lines.

I don't have any of them here, so I can't tell you if they contain sulfates. I'm sure there must be some without.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous,

That sounds impossible! I find the P.O. very frustrating these days.

Glad your On the Coast is on the way!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Adelle.

Those sampler sets are not good values. See instead of you can get samples from a counter. NM has them.

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, I have this mental image of us drooling on our iPads!

Charlestongirl said...

Soni, you are going to LOVE Erin. She is so sweet, and incredibly talented. She makes everyone feel comfortable and look gorgeous.

Have fun in Cancun! Maybe you'll find some good shopping. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi grlnxdor, I just got that and need time to play with it! Glad to hear a good rec.

Charlestongirl said...

Mary Ann,

The dry-down of the blast is fast, and once it does, I find it a very pleasant scent. Hope you enjoy it!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Walls! Who would have thunk it? Me in coral? You're right - it's the sheerness that makes it work.

I want my RBR!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Laetitia,

Mom just cancelled lunch for today. She can't deal with more than one big thing in a day, and her yard man is there. :)

We'll go tomorrow or next week. Now I have to figure out what I'm going to eat. I was fasting to get ready for a big mid-day meal.

Charlestongirl said...

Walls, Vanessa...

I am a huge Rahua fan! It won't take brassiness out of highlights, though. I love Rahua shampoo and conditioner - the original ones.

lovethescents said...

Thanks, C-girl :-) Yes, it's really the LMdB that I'm after. I WISH I had bought the Bordeaux when I had the chance. You snooze you lose, eh?

Is the Indian Summer still available, do you know?

Thanks for your help!

Mary Ann said...

Thank you Eileen, will check out those sites. I like fall/winter makeup better as well.

Yes, Charlestongirl, Love that perfume, spitzed it on just to go grocery shopping and to the pool today. My Kohls did not have any of the Vera Wang makeup, was hoping to check it out.

Evelyn said...

A very happy belated birthday to your mom! I hope her 90th year will be a little smoother than the last. :)

Believe it or not, I did not buy makeup this week. lol I'm seeing all those preview photos of Chanel and more collections and I'm sitting on my hands. Ah well, on the rest of the weekend!