Thursday, June 24, 2010

Clinique Sun SPF 50 Face Cream - Kind to Kitties

There I was, reading the new Vogue, when a little blurb caught my eye. Charlie was sitting next to me, and he and I were both shocked when I read that Clinique's Sun SPF 50 Face Cream ($17.50) "encourages the skin's own repair process with cat's claw extract and RNA fragments."

I had several immediate thoughts. There had to be some mistake. Clinique couldn't possibly harm cats to make a face cream. They are a supremely reputable company! While Charlie gets the tips of his claws clipped regularly to ensure that my own skin stays puncture-free, the donations (should I provide them) wouldn't be a reliable production source. Nor would the donations from thousands of cat owners nationwide. I just couldn't believe it.

Of course I called Clinique, and I followed up with an e-mail with my questions.
  1. Where are the cat's claws coming from? Are any animals harmed in the process?
  2. How does one "harvest" cat's claws?
  3. What is the benefit of this ingredient?
I got my answer quickly, and much to my embarrassment and relief, I learned that cat's claw (C1-8 Alkyl Tetrahydroxycyclohexanoate) is a tropical vine that grows in rain forest and jungle areas in South America and Asia. Some cultures refer to the plant as the "Sacred Herb of the Rain Forest." The vine gets its name from the small thorns at the base of the leaves, which look like a cat's claw. These enable the vine to attach itself around trees and climb.

The plant is considered a valuable medicinal resource and is protected in Peru. Although scientific research has just recently begun to explore its benefits, many cultures native to the South American rain forests have used cat's claw for hundreds of years. The extract is believed to have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-cancer properties. Clinique says that cat's claw encourages the skin's natural repair process to help "clean up" skin damage before it can replicate.

Now that I know Charlie (Savannah too) and millions of other cats are safe, I'll be purchasing Sun SPF 50 Face Cream this weekend. It sounds like a fabulous, protective cream. Here's what Clinique says about it online.

Innovative SolarSmart technology stabilizes high-level protection against the aging and burning effects of UVA and UVB rays. Triggers a repair that helps prevent signs of aging. With solar-activated antioxidants that help prevent visible damage. Gentle enough for sensitive skins. Dermatologist tested. Oil-free.

Clinique's sparkling reputation is safe at my house!

Photo courtesy of Clinique

2 comments:

Clarisse said...

So funny! I would have been misled too: I do love my cats and don't want any harm done to any animal at all!!! I checked, it's the same name in French too, so anybody was bound to react as you did...
I hope you will like this new cream; if you don't forget tell us when you are used to it if you find this cream is better than the classic ones: I am very faithful to La roche Posay, Uriage and Avène as they are very efficiently protective! but I wouldn't mind changing if it's worth it

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Clarisse,

What's so totally embarrassing is that I consider myself an "amateur horticulturalist." When it comes to rain forest plants, I have a lot to learn! :) I'll bet those Clinique ladies are still laughing at me.

I also love La Roche-Posay and Avène. But I'm fickle. I always want to try new things.