Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Dolce & Gabbana Shine Lipstick in Drama

Some "blind purchases" are so exciting you want to do cartwheels. I was that excited when I opened and tried Dolce & Gabbana's Shine Lipstick in Drama ($30). I had decided to order a Shine Lipstick when I placed the rest of my Dolce & Gabbana Beauty order online with Saks Fifth Avenue. I had the same dilemma with Shine Lipstick I had had with the Ultra-Shine Lip Glosses. There were 25 shades. Without ever seeing the display of Dolce & Gabbana Beauty lip colors, how would I select one shade that would be absolutely perfect? I turned the wheel of Jeopardy, and I landed on a divine selection.

Shine Lipstick imparts a look of ethereal sensuality, with a nod to ultra-feminine glamour. The semi-sheer color high-shine lipsticks adds lustre and volume to the lips.

The description of Shine Lipstick enticed me, and the shade, Drama (#90), where the wheel landed, is even prettier than it looked online. It had appeared to be a mauve-rose-brown shade in the online swatch - more brown than it is in person. It is a rose-mauve-brown hybrid shade, but in person it's much more rose than brown. It's the kind of color that instantly attracts me when I'm lip color shopping.

My swatches show Drama on my arm in full sun. I think it's drop-dead gorgeous. As you can see, it shines, as promised. I don't think I need to describe the color. It speaks for itself. I'd call it a mauve-leaning rose, slightly on the cool side of the spectrum.

When I was outside taking photos, I saw a magnolia blossom - a very confused bud on my star magnolia. For some reason, it had decided to bloom, about six months early. I feel so badly that it was frosted this past weekend. Imagine how pretty it would be if it were to open fully? It probably froze in place. What you see in the photo at right will probably be the full extent of its November glory.

Shine Lipstick feels lightweight on my lips, but offers very nice staying-power. The shine can be seen indoors and out; it's extremely flattering. You probably know that a little shine can give your lips a fuller appearance. Shine Lipstick does have a fragrance, a "feature" I could do without. Fortunately, it dissipates quickly.

If you like mauve-rose lip colors, you are going to like Shine Lipstick in Drama as much as I do. It's a stunning shade. What color should I try next? Shimmer looks almost the same online, but I'll bet it's not. I think Ruby or Dahlia may be my next selections.

You can purchase Dolce & Gabbana color, brushes, and fragrance at Saks Fifth Avenue (online and select stores), as I did, or at Dolce & Gabbana's Web site. For a store locator, click here.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

7 comments:

lovethescents said...

Oh this is really tempting. I love the colour, the subtle shine sans-shimmer, what you wrote about staying power. BUT, how would you describe the fragrance? Thanks for a lovely review, as usual!

Charlestongirl said...

I really can't, Lovethescents! Some bloggers have likened the scent to rose, but it doesn't smelly rosy to me. My inexact description would be "old-fashioned perfume." At least it goes away pretty quickly.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the review! There aren't many D&G swatches around. So far, I have had good luck with the lipsticks and eyeshadows I have ordered without the benefit of having a counter nearby. So, yes, please go ahead and order some more Shines! I too am tempted by Dahlia.

Nemo said...

A few comments about D&G makeup. I used to buy a lot of D&G. Not so much anymore. The Shine lipsticks, for example, habitually broke in the tube bc they are so soft. The gloss tubes leaked and would stick to anything--purse, pocket, hands. I never found an eye quad I liked; the eye duos were better. I did like the blushes and the classic creme lipsticks, but they did not measure up to CHANEL or LMDB. I thought D&G often missed the boat on color, too. And their nail polishes smelled so toxic I could not keep them.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Nemo,

I sure hope I have better long-term experience than that! Think of all the money you can save! :)

Nemo said...

Oh, Cg, you are so funny! Yes and no on the money; I just spend it on something else, haha, like Chanel and LMDB! But after having bitched out D&G, let me say that I bought almost the entire CHANEL Holiday stuff and I absolutely love it. I also bought their new foundation and that is a biggie with me since I never wear foundation. But I tried a sample and loved it. So flattering and like it isn't there at all, but it does improve my looks and I bought it. Love it! Now I want those velvet lipsticks you just reviewed. You just can't beat Chanel.

aggeliki said...

I stopped by D&G at attica (department store in Athens) and an extremely helpful sa did my makeup and gave me a full tutorial. so I purchased cocoa and nude eye quads, sole and rose blushes and 2 passion duo lipsticks!love, love, love!!! best I've ever looked!!