Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tom Ford Beauty Eye Color Quad in Sahara Haze

Tom Ford Beauty's Eye Color Quad in Sahara Haze ($75) was the second of the two eye shadow quads I purchased sight unseen. I like greens, and this green looked khaki, a favorite shade. I was also drawn to the unique colors coordinated in the palette. It had "potential," but I wasn't sure about my selection.

Sahara Haze doesn't look very much like its Neiman Marcus photo at the top of this feature. It's much prettier! It has life; it has sizzle; it made me happy when I applied it.

When I was taking photos of the quad, I suspected that the green shade would not reveal its beauty and complexity in my photos, taken in full, mid-day sun, and I was correct. I even closed in on the colors to attempt to get the shimmering green to look green, not grey. It doesn't.

Fortuntely, you can see the gorgeous green in my swatch photos. Sahara Haze gets the "dynamite" label, and it was definitely worth its price.

I swatched in clockwise order, starting at top left. I think these swatches will surprise you. Compare them to the way the colors look in the compact, and you may find yourself wondering whether I pulled a palette switch.

The gleaming ivory with a hint of gold at the top of my arm is extraordinarily gorgeous. I didn't have to work hard at all to apply it (or the other shades) with a sponge-tipped applicator. The color adhered to my skin with a fabulous creamy texture and shine. The shade that appears to be flat grey in the quad at top right is actually a stunning taupe-grey hybrid. I'd buy a single of either of these shades.

The grey at bottom right in the quad is the closest of the shades to what I expected. It's a nice, medium grey that coordinates well with the other shades. I can use it as a liner.

The green - a metallic mossy green - is stunning. It offers serious pizzazz to the palette, and it looks extremely pretty with all of the other shades. I really like it combined with the shimmering ivory for a "fancy eye."

Of the two Eye Color Quads I ordered, I expected to love Golden Mink the most. Sahara Haze appeared to be a risk when I ordered it. The tables were turned on me. Sahara Haze is definitely my favorite of the two, and I think I'll reach for it much more frequently. Now, I'm waffling on my opinion of the line. I'd pay $75 for Sahara Haze in a heartbeat.

If you want to shop Tom Ford Beauty, the line is available at Neiman Marcus' Web site and select Neiman Marcus stores. It's also available at Bergdorf Goodman.

Photo at top courtesy of Neiman Marcus; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

14 comments:

Clarisse said...

Hi Charlestongirl!
This palette does look gorgeous and each shade seems to have something more than an ordinary one: am I right or can they be compared to "dupes?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Clarisse,

I guess someone can always find dups, but I don't have any in this combination of colors. :)

Clarisse said...

My conclusion was correct then, this is a stunning palette:-)

lovethescents said...

How beautiful and how different, as you pointed out, the colours are from the NM shot! The swatches are sublime. Even the ivory is silky. I'm so happy for you :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Sublime is a great adjective, Lovethescents! I'm think most who try this quad will like it. Dazzling!

Unknown said...

Beautiful colours! I barely have any greens in my collection...hmmmm

Charlestongirl said...

With your coloring, Periously Pale? You would look fabulous in green!

Anonymous said...

How would the TF palettes golden mink and sahara haze look on darker (tan-olive) skin tones? I have a warm complexion.

Anonymous said...

I have to say the jury is still out for me on these new Tom Ford things due to the outrageous pricing.

Unknown said...

The colours in this palette are stunning! Thank you so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Now I'm "waffling", too, CG !! Darn it all ... oh well, I hope to be able to check out more reviews of the other combinations. Thank you, Charlestongirl, for all your hard diligent work for us !! It is gorgeous ... Beth in Pgh xo ;-)

Charlestongirl said...

Anonymous, I think they will look nice on all skin types. There may be better shades of cheek color for very dark skin, though. As for the eye quads, anyone can wear them.

Yes, the prices are high, so buy selectively. I'll make darn sure I know what I'm buying next time.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Modesty! I have one more Cheek Color to feature, hopefully I can fit it in tomorrow.

Buggsiebee said...

I live in Germany & had to order sight unseen with EXTREMELY high shipping (GBP 59,-!) from the UK. I had written off Sahara Haze due to bad reviews but then, on a whim, decided to add it to my order anyway. Thank HEAVENS for that! I can assure you....it is LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! I'm SO glad you're enjoying it too! Yes, the price is high, but these quads take you out of the adult comfort zone in such a fun & wearable way. The glitter shades are so elegant and easy to use. Worth every penny!