Friday, November 11, 2011

Edward Bess Quad Royale Poudre Éclat Quatre Couleurs in South of France

The new Edward Bess Quad Royale Poudre Éclat Quatre Couleurs in South of France ($45) offers four perfectly paired shades that you can sweep together for allover luminous pink "sunset" color - or mix and match to highlight your cheeks and dress your eyes. The palette comes complete with a travel brush for touch-ups on the go.

South of France was extremely hard to photograph. It was easy to get photos of the palette itself. The swatches were another story. I had just as much trouble as I had when I swatched the first Quad Royale, Summer in Capri, which is darker! Today, I had to endure goosebumps, trying repeatedly to get decent photos.

The powder is lovely. The effect on the skin is sophisticated, subtly shimmering, and flattering. I swatched the individual shades with a sponge-tipped applicator, trying to apply them heavily, and you will see from my photos that the shade at the top left of the quad - at the top of my arm - is virtually impossible to see on my arm. I could barely detect it, and my camera did no better. The other shades do show, even if they are very light. I tried to get photos at two different times of day outdoors before I gave up.

The photo at right was the best I could get. Can you see the pink shade that shimmers with micro-sparkles at the top of my arm, just above the scar at the far right (turn of my arm)? That's the shade at top left. I swatched clockwise from there. The shade next to it in the palette isn't much darker, but I can see the stripe on my arm (almost level with the bottom of the scar). These shades offer two shades of pink, as you can see in the photo of the palette.

The shades on the "lower deck" do show up. The palette's largest block, with Edward's initials is a warm, flesh-toned pink, and the warm mauve-pink at the bottom of my arm is the darkest shade in the palette.

I blended all four shades together - the best way to use South of France, I think - with a dense blush brush and applied a circular swatch fairly heavily and darker than I'd apply the powder to my face. The photo at left shows all four shades blended. The result of blending is a beautiful "sunset pink." It gleams with the light I saw in the sky last night, as the sun disappeared below the tree tops, just before dark. It was an exquisite sunset, and this powder made me remember it immediately.

I hope you can see that South of France makes my skin gleam. Even though I can see some micro-sparkles in the palette itself and on my arm, if I look closely, the effect on my skin is more of a polished gleam. It's exactly what you'd expect from Edward Bess - elegant, understated, luminous color.

South of France is perfectly named. It brings the pastel colors of seaside villas to a palette that will give your skin a pastel glow no matter what the season. I think you'll enjoy it.

I purchased my Quad Royale from Bergdorf Goodman. You can call the Edward Bess counter there at (212) 872-8826. South of France is also available, as is Summer in Capri, at the Edward Bess Web site.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty and courtesy of boatbookings.com

12 comments:

juliapi said...

Hi Charlestongirl,
Love your blog and swatches. I don't own an illuminator yet but I am trying to decide between Edward Bess Quad Royale-South of France or the Laura Mercier Face Illuminator. Do you prefer one illuminator over the other? Both are beautiful. Thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Juliapi!

They are both gorgeous. That's a tough choice. If you want an illuminator that's subtle, go with EB. If you want more pizzazz, go with LM. If you need choices, buy both! They are so nice.

Leigh said...

Oh, that is just gorgeous! Beauty Look Book's swatches had appeared considerably warmer, so I hesitated about getting this quad. Now I think I'll bite the bullet.

Also, I'd like to expand on juliapi's question. You have showcased so many highlighters this holiday season. Which are your favorites?

Charlestongirl said...

Holy moly, Leigh, you want me to choose? Really? You know what an addict I am! Do you think addicts care what the potion is?

Not a complete list of faves...

Armani Holiday Face and Eye Palette
Edward Bess South of France
Laura Mercier Face Illuminator
Estée Lauder's Pure Color Illuminating Powder Gelée
Chantecaille Poudre de Perle in South Seas Pearl
Jouer Highlighter in Tiare
Ultraflesh Shinebox Highlight and Shimmer Collection
Rouge Bunny Rouge Seas of Illumination Highlighting Liquid

These came to mind immediately.

juliapi said...

Hi,
Thanks so much. Great question Leigh and great list.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Why do his colors and presentation have to be SO incredibly gorgeous?!?! I am just explaining to my daughter why she can't have a phone plan right now because we have to make choices,and now I am trying to justify buying an Edward Bess palette!!! ARGH!!

Charlestongirl said...

That one's easy MamaVal! This is an exception because it's a must-have. Not all phone plans are. :)

jo said...

I bought this quad as well as the Capri quad (as well as both palettes which I haven't received yet!) and this one is my favorite. I'd say it's more cool than warm but it gives just the prettiest subtle pink highlight to the face. The only other highlighter I've bought this season is the Chantecaille which I love too but I'd say my favorite is EB South of France.

Leigh said...

@ Charlestongirl - Silly question, I know, but I had to narrow the field down somehow! I have the Chantecaille, and plan on getting the Armani and Edward Bess.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Jo!

I also find these shades cooler.

Eileen said...

Edward Bess:

This week I had the opportunity to see EB and the lovely ladies who work his counter at NM in Beverly Hills and this is how South of France was applied on me: All four colors were swirled together and the excess tapped off, then it was lightly swept over my forehead, cheeks, down the bridge of my nose, and on my chin. In short, it was used in a fashion similar to a bronzer only it was creating a gentle highlight rather than a sunkissed glow. Just a hint of Moroccan Rose (one of my faves) was also applied to my cheeks and softened with the tiniest bit of SofF. It added subtle dimension to my features and looked lovely with my fair skin and silver-streaked, dark hair (I've embraced my gray :-) ) I was told to use my Summer in Capri in the same manner with just an adjustment to my blush shade and lipstick to go with the warmer, peachier look.

I find Edward and his lovely assistants so approachable; so eager to work with customers and answer questions. They really take care with each customer and don't treat anyone in cookie cutter fashion. It's a wonderful experience.

Guerlain:

On the subject of wonderful experiences, I had the opportunity to have my make-up done by Marcus Monson of Guerlain, but perhaps I should go back and put that in the Friday Forum :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen,

I'm totally jealous! Because we don't have an EB counter in DC, I buy without ever getting to meet Edward or play first. That would be such fun!