Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I have developed a naughty, time-killing habit early in the morning. I spend time on my iPad (in bed) looking at celebrity news. Sometimes, I can't resist clicking on an article that looks interesting, and the fashion items often catch my eye.

I usually try to be charitable in assessing celebrity fashion, but most of them have stylists, right? Aren't stylists supposed to make celebrities look good?

The "looks" at last night's 21st Annual Gotham Independent Film Awards left me wondering. I was browsing the Huffington Post, where you can see a slideshow, the source of these photos. Thankfully, Charlize Theron, daring in a plunging neckline, looked good despite her ugly dress. Would it be possible for her to look bad?

I had no issues with the plunging neckline; it looked great on her. The rest of the Gucci dress? She looked like a fashion victim in the "flouncy black drop-waist skirt." If you want to see more, head over to the Daily Mail online to see that she managed to stay in her dress after an accidental trip. That Hollywood Fashion Tape held!

Tilde Swinton has always tends to look bizarre at events. She outdid herself last night in this hideous get-up. Just click on the photo if you want to see this "look" in more detail.

Then, there was Melissa Leo, a beautiful and talented woman. Did she find this dress in her grandmother's archives? Home on the prairie with a flower garden?

Could the cute Louisa Krause look any chunkier in her loosely fit dress and patterned boots?

Head over to the Huffington Post to see Felicity Jones and Shailene Woodley (who is she?) in the "any old shoes" they threw on with their dresses - and the rest of the evening's "fashion." Maybe I missed something. Was the dress code "whatever" for the evening? Where were there any stylists in the house?

Good thing I usually stick to beauty. My inner snark came out here.

Photos courtesy of the Huffington Post - and vote on Charlize Theron's look

4 comments:

Clarisse said...

Why do they hire stylists at all? if they used their common sense and with a good mirror at hand, they all might manage to look less frumpy than they do on those photos:-)

Charlestongirl said...

Clarisse, isn't it amazing? Frumpy is a good way to describe how bad most of them looked. :)

mkdallas said...

FYI, Shailene Woodley may be striking out as a fashion icon, but she's generating Oscar buzz for a wonderful performance as George Clooney's troubled teen daughter in "The Descendants". I saw it last week and it's been a long time since I've seen a great family drama (rated R) with no sex, violence or low-brow humour. It does have quite a bit of profanity, but it's a terrific story about marriage and parenting when the wheels come off.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, mkdallas! I'd like to see that movie!