Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Boy

Sometimes we beauty addicts go to great lengths to get our hands on something new. That was the case for me with Chanel's new Rouge Coco Shine in Boy ($32). I had reserved it at my local Nordstrom when I learned that Nordstrom would have it available on February 10. Then I learned that none of the Nordstrom stores in my area would receive it. So I called the store in Coral Gables, Florida, to order it - and it arrived right on time. Unfortunately, I had to pay $10 for shipping to get a $32 lipstick. They sent it UPS in an envelope, making money on the shipping (something that always annoys me).

Chanel's Rouge Coco Shine, the company's newest lip colors from Peter Philips, Chanel's Creative Director for Makeup, is a fresh, delightfully sheer, and luminous new lipstick. Chanel has discontinued my old favorite, Aqualumiére, and this is its replacement. When I learned that Aqualumiére was history, I started buying any shades I could find. I liked it so much I bought shades that weren't perfect. I couldn't imagine life without Aqualumiére. Now I can. Rouge Coco Shine is a beautiful, lasting, moisturizing, sheer, shiny lip color with an incredible lightweight texture. It is completely different from Rouge Coco, a highly pigmented lip color.

I like everything about it, from the slender tube to the sheer shine. This is a fabulous lipstick. I can't wait until April, when the full line of shades will become available at Chanel counters.

Boy, a limited-release shade, was launched for Valentine's Day to honor a great love story. Boy is the nickname of Arthur “Boy” Capel, who was the love of Coco Chanel’s life, her partner and guardian angel. He encouraged Coco’s first venture into hat making, loaning her money to open her first milliner’s studio in 1910 on rue Cambon in Paris. It was her romance with Boy Capel that inspired the masculine energy she put into her iconic wardrobe. She borrowed his pajamas, jackets, and straw boaters and made them her own.

Boy is a lovely, warm rose shade. I took my photo at right indoors in direct light, but not full sunlight. It shows the gorgeous shade, and you can even see the pretty gleam. This is a definite keeper. I am sure I will purchase a second one in April. I am also sure I will be making a "full swing" through all the shades the instant they arrive in stores. I am smitten.

We are lucky that Boy will return in April. It has been taken down at Chanel's Web site. I don't know if you can still get your hands on it at Nordstrom. It was supposed to be available only from February 10 through 14.

Photo at top courtesy of Chanel

5 comments:

KathyT said...

This lipstick looks so pretty! Now I regret not getting one, but I was caught up in the Valentine's day frenzy with my children. When did it turn into such a school event?? Anyway I am looking forward to seeing the colors when the line launches - April? I love no-fuss lipsticks that I can put on in a hurry, so I'm sure that a few will come home with me.

I hope your recovery is still going well. I'm just not ready for that yet. I may try out the joint fluid replacement stuff next.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Kathy! I had Synvisc many times, and I can recommend it - but not Synvisc One (the new one). I had a major, ER issue after Synvisc One.

April will come before you know it, and with April, we will see a full range of shades. :) Boy is very pretty. I chose it to wear tonight to a Neiman Marcus event. It does lose its shine after awhile. I wish the shine would hang around as long as the color, which is long-lasting on me.

Unknown said...

are there any news on what other shades might be? i am liking the texture of this lipstick (colorful but sheer) but i probably would wait to see all other choices. and 10 dollars to ship a lipstick is amazing!

Charlestongirl said...

I have seen a photo, Anna. There are a bunch, spanning the full color range. We will have many from which to choose.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I usually haven't been a Chanel girl...pretty much a Bobbi girl and they have a polar opposite philosophy. But "Boy" may just get to me...