Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chantecaille Hydra Chic Lipstick - New Shades for Spring

Chantecaille introduced three new shades of Hydra Chic Lipstick ($30) for Spring 2011. I purchased all three. Read on to find out which one has already earned my love.

Hydra Chic is a described as a modern full-impact lipstick that is hydrating and luminous with six hours of great color wear. Chantecaille promises that the product, packaged in a slim stylo-case for ultimate application control, will deliver elegant color with a natural satin finish. With one application, the texture is said to melt onto lips with a comforting and hydrating sensation. Natural extracts of papaya and orchid will help to soften lips and provide antioxidant and anti-aging protection. Raist, a natural sugar derivative, is said to provide immediate and comforting hydration. Raist, which is sugar and more closely associated in my mind with baking than skin care, is an ingredient that sets this unique lipstick apart.

The new shades are Aster, Canna, and Willow. I was able to get a swatch photo for you this morning. I swatched them in the order listed above, from top to bottom in my photo. The photo I selected was taken in very bright light indoors - I think the colors are truer than the full-sun photos I took.

Hopefully you can see that all of the shades are very saturated/pigmented and have a subtle sheen. Aster, shown at the top, is almost red. It's a gorgeous rosy color, and I am going to try to wear it - even though it's a brighter (or darker) shade than I prefer. I don't like to "lead with my lips." If that's the shade Olivia Chantecaille is wearing in the promotional photos for the Sea Turtle Palette (scroll down to yesterday's feature to see that photo), I am going to work to achieve that look.

Canna is a dark peach, definitely not the shade you might think when you look at the little swatches online (at least on my monitor). It's so hard to show colors online, with all the variables that include artwork and the fact that everyone's monitor is different.

My favorite shade is Willow, a stunning rosy nude. I am smitten with Willow. I like it so much, it may go in my handbag. Willow is one of those shades that's going to work with most makeup and fashion color schemes - and a wide variety of skin and lip tones.

You can find these new shades at Chantecaille's Web site. They still haven't received them at my closest Neiman Marcus store, although they expect them any day. Make sure to check out the new shades when you go to your Chantecaille counter to visit with the Sea Turtle Palette!

Photo at top courtesy of Chantecaille

8 comments:

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Willow is beautiful! I'll bet that would be a terrific color on almost everyone. I think you should "step out of your comfort zone" and at least TRY the "Aster" shade for awhile. You never know! I'm one to talk: I always go for my pinky/rosy/nudes!!!

Charlestongirl said...

I adore Willow...may need a second one.

As for Aster, I promise I will work on it. Now, if I could look like Olivia!

Lucy said...

I am glad that you swatched Willow. On the Chantecaille website the picture looks nothing like the real thing! Willow looks like my kind of shade. :)

Unknown said...

These are beautiful, and more saturated than most of the Chantecaille I've seen before. I can't wait to check them out!

Anonymous said...

How long lasting are these lipsticks anyway?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Ava,

They don't have them yet at NM. They have already started a waiting list for the Sea Turtle Palette!

Hopefully, you will see them soon.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lucy!

Yes, the little online swatch is very misleading. I know how hard Chantecaille works to get the colors right - they put a lot of effort into it. I have always figured it's my monitor. Anyhow, the lip colors are nothing like the little swatches on the Web site.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous,

They should last a "normal person" about six hours. I get half that with full color. I am a lipstick "destroyer," though.