Friday, February 18, 2011

The Friday Forum - February 18

The good news is that the sun is shining, and it's supposed to be 70 degrees outside today. Spring will arrive, but not without a last gasp from winter, I'm sure. There is a fuzzy prediction for some potential snow next week.

The bad news is that my knee still won't straighten entirely. The photo here hits close to home. My physical therapist spends a lot of time pressing down on my knee (yes, it's agonizing), and I have been doing exercises to straighten it, bend it, and strengthen the muscles around it. Now, unfortunately, I have a new torture device, a Dynasplint. It's a splint that runs from my thigh to mid-calf, and it puts pressure on my knee joint to straighten it. I have to wear it for increasing amounts of time and pressure on the knee each day. The first night I wore it, I was extremely uncomfortable. I have found since then that it's best to wear it while I'm distracted - by Steven Tyler (on American Idol) or by work - although it's difficult to prop my splinted leg under my desk.

I really appreciate all of your kind notes, comments, and e-mails. They have helped inspire me to keep working hard. In fact, I am going to do my exercises now. I'm delinquent so far this morning, but I'll make up for it throughout the day.

Last night, I attended a fabulous blogger event in the beauty department at Neiman Marcus at Mazza Gallerie. It was my first foray from the house for anything that wasn't medical. We were introduced to all the new beauty products - those that have just been introduced and those that will come in the spring. I can't wait to tell you about them! I will start this weekend with the incredible La Prairie skin care and makeup.

What's new in your life? It's time for The Friday Forum. We use the forum to share information and chat. Did you find any deals you couldn't resist this week? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By Monday, most readers have moved on.

Don't forget that the Sephora Give Me Some Lip giveaway contest ends tomorrow night. Have you entered yet?

Thanks for reading Best Things in Beauty! Got anything you want to talk about?

Photo courtesy of sjsu.edu

10 comments:

Victoria said...

Oh, wow, that sounds painful. I'm so sorry to hear that!

The event sounds like it was fun.

Charlestongirl said...

It is, Victoria! I am wearing it now - and it's a bit agonizing. Trying to distract myself with work. Hard to do when it's so beautiful outside!

Can't wait to get time to tell y'all more about the event.

Eileen said...

You've been a real trooper to bring us the CdP posts even though you've been having so much discomfort and pain with your knee. I hope the "torture device" gets that knee straight so that you can put this behind you and get back to your active life. I'm so glad you were able to get out for a night of beauty trends. Things like that are sure to lift the spirits as does experiencing some warmer, sunnier weather. Last week when I said I wished I could send you some of our California sunshine, it must have worked--but a bit too well! While you're enjoying some sun and warmer temps, we're expecting to be hit by a major rain storm later today. The winds have already begun to pick up and I can see the storm darkened clouds moving in quite rapidly. Oh well, it just means it's a good day to stay home and bake some cookies :-)

La Beauté Éblouissante (Dazzling Beauty) is really lovely. Éblouir means to dazzle or to blind as by sunlight and that's a pretty good way of describing CdP's spring look. It dazzles with light. I swung by Neiman's yesterday to take a good look at the collection and was completely won over by the #207 eye shadow quad and the Extra Silky in #129.
The two gray shadows are so beautiful and are a splendid compliment to the soft rose gold shades. My favorite of CdP's winter quads was Thulite (coral, champagne, light coral tinged gray, and deep pewter) so it came as no surprise when I was immediately drawn towards this much softer, lighter version. I can hardly wait to get my goodies next week when the beauty event begins.

This certainly has been a banner year for myriad shades of gray. Who would have thought that gray would be a force to reckon with come spring! I'm sure its beautiful variations have won over many new fans.

Happy weekend everyone!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Thanks for the better translation. I looked it up and found there was no "exact" translation. I like yours better, though.

Isn't it weird? We are expecting really strong winds tomorrow. Someone just told me 60-70 mph! With plummeting temperatures. I hope everyone is enjoying today.

I can't believe you could bear to leave the CdP there! Wouldn't they let you take it and promise you your gifts later? My SAs usually do that. They are very good to me, as yours should be to you!

I am totally in love with CdP's quads. When I heard these two new ones had landed at NM, I was gleeful. They were described as heavenly, and I agree. I read that Gaia thinks the shades are too pastel for her skin; that's too bad. I love them.

I wore my torture contraption for an hour so far today. I think I need to drug myself before the next hour. It hurts behind the knee (the part that's getting stretched in a direction it does not want to go). I'll get used to it. If it helps, it's worth the pain. I can't stand with a bent knee forever. :)

The blogger event was a blast. They were so generous too. We came home with a bag full of samples of new products. I will be in testing heaven for weeks. I literally cannot wait to get my hands on some of the upcoming La Prairie items. Kate Somerville has fab new things.

BTW, Donna at Bergdorf Goodman called this week. If you like coral, Tom Pecheux has a new coral collection for EL. Not my shade, but it sounded pretty.

Leigh said...

I'm glad you're amused by Steven Tyler (me, too!), but what about the makeup on JLo??? I can hardly wait to see what she comes up with each night. She has a beautiful "canvas" and surely knows how to use it! (even IF someone else does her "look")
I covet her lip gloss and eye shadows most of the time - - fun!

And by the way, be sure to send us a pic of your scar. All the best- -

Joolz said...

It has been lovely that you have been posting and keeping us informed on the latest products, even though you're having to deal with such pain and discomfort! It's really appreciated!
I'm in NYC and I am hearing the winds howl tonight!
Anyway, I just picked up a replacement for the Dior Lash Serum that I've used up. I love it because I don't have to use an eyelash curler - it curls my lashes for me!
Can't wait to hear about the new collections!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Leigh!

JLo is so perfect, I don't know where to start! I was tweeting about her appearance about a week ago. I had never seen her look so good, and she always looks good. She was a model of perfection that night. I am amazed by that woman. Talented, but clearly sweet and with a big heart, she has earned my devotion on that show.

Steven amuses me. Since the show started, I have read and seen news features about his kind heart, and I have grown to love him. I don't know how he comes up with some of his one-liners so quickly. I roared the night he asked one contestant if he had eaten a lot of paint chips as a child. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Joolz,

The blog, as you might guess, is a pleasant distraction from the discomfort.

I am also very lucky to have had Kathy Shoreman delivering makeup to me. She is a super-champ SA and a great friend. NM is very lucky to have her working there. I hope they know that.

I am so jealous. I haven't been to NY for a year, but I plan to go again once I can get this knee working in synch with the rest of my leg.

I have never tried Dior's Lash Serum, but I'll bet I have a sample around here somewhere. I am so blessed to have long lashes that curl on their own. No one believes they are mine, unenhanced. They may be my best feature.

Unknown said...

I hope you are feeling better soon! I can only imagine how much discomfort you are in and I hope you are coming up with good distraction strategies. I am glad you have blog activities to keep you busy :)

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Anna. I'm watching a lot of TV, uncharacteristic of me, trying to distract myself. :)

I was doing pretty well on the pain management until I got this darn splint. Hate it, but I have to admit it's working.