Tuesday, February 1, 2011

NARS Hollywoodland Soft Touch Shadow Pencil for Spring 2011

NARS Soft Touch Shadow Pencils ($24 each) provide easy application, portability, and long-wearing eye color. These pencils have versatile functionality to shade the lid, line the eyes, or highlight the eyes. I think you could even use the lighter shades as face highlighters!

The pencils have a smooth, creamy texture with a velvety feel that makes blending a snap. They create an ideal base for layering with a powder shadow for increased color intensity if you choose.

There are two new shades available for spring. I selected Hollywoodland, a soft gold that falls right into my swipe-and-go comfort zone. I love gold shadows with some life, and Hollywoodland, described by NARS as soft gold, caught my eye on the Web site. The other shade introduced for spring, Celebrate, is parrot green, a bit too avant-garde for me. Those with darker skin might find it fun.

Because the little color swatches on the NARS Web site are far from true in color, I swatched Hollywoodland for you. I applied it to my arm straight from the pencil, and I took my photo in indoor sunlight. I hope you can see how pretty it is! This is a gold everyone can wear - not too light or frosty, and not too dark. It's not "tainted" with another shade either.

On Sephora's blog, you can see photos of the look created with NARS by Diane Kendal for the Thakoon fashion show. Kendal created an elegant "Golden, but not tanned" look. "As if the girls are glowing from within ... with, of course, confidence," she said. "There is definition in the face without having any hard lines. No mascara, just curled lashes if they need it. The gold goes on top of the cheekbone and over the eye brow for a pop of color." Naturally, she used Hollywoodland!

I purchased a lot of NARS for spring. Stay tuned as I share everything with you.

You can purchase NARS at the NARS Web site, Sephora, and Neiman Marcus. I'm sure there are other sources, but those are mine.

Photo at top courtesy of NARS

7 comments:

MarciaF said...

Are you finding these crease? I got that impression from reading reviews.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Marcia,

They don't smudge with NARS Smudge-Proof Eyeshadow Base under them!

Maja said...

Did you purchase the trio eyeshadow as well? I'm dying for a review on it! I love the promo image, but colors often look so much different in these pictures than in real life...

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Maja!

I did order it. It came out a bit later than the rest of the collection. I will post it as soon as it comes.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I'm really on the fence with these. We have them at our store, but they haven't stayed on well when we've tried them out. I agree that with the base, they are much better, but I see "shadow pencil" as a get-out-the-door-fast version of eyeshadow, and if you have no time, then you're probably not going to use eye primer/base first. The colors are pretty, but I think there are better alternatives out there. (i.e. Smashbox smashbox Waterproof Shadow Liner To Go Duo available on QVC.com)

Charlestongirl said...

I think they apppeal to a niche, Val. I like the convenience, but the only primer I have ever found that will keep NARS creams on my lids is the NARS one. No wonder he needed an eyelid primer!

Anonymous said...

I just did a look with Hollywoodland as a base ans Shu Uemura's Ivy Gold shine mystique loose powder and it's the most exquisite thing! I'm loving it