Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chantecaille Sea Turtle Palette for Spring 2011

I must be one if the happiest gals on earth! My Chantecaille Sea Turtle Palette ($79) arrived! For some reason, my UPS guy showed up about seven hours earlier than usual. Do you think he knew how much I wanted this palette? Do you think he sensed that it would make my day when he delivered it while the sun was still out? I love that guy!

I tore into the shipping box, and inside I found a pretty gold box with the sea turtle theme. Then I tore into that box to find an elegant gunmetal grey case holding four gorgeous colors - two eye shades to reflect the golden warmth of new spring neutrals, a deep sea green eye-defining shade, and a peachy-pink cheek color that will be universally flattering. My photo of the palette was taken indoors in direct light, but not sunlight. The base color is not as pink as it appears in my photo below. Use Chantecaille's photo above as your guide for the shades.

I grabbed the sponge-tipped applicators quicker than you can say "love," and started to swatch. At that point, there may have been a swoon. Not sure whether it was a real swoon or the pills I had taken about 20 minutes earlier (such is the life of a recovering surgery patient). Either way, this palette is swoon-worthy.

My first swatch photo at left was taken outside in direct sun. I applied each shade with a sponge-tipped applicator - even the blush shade. I wanted to pick up enough product to show you adequate swatches. I'm not totally thrilled with these photos, so I'll try in different lighting to get better ones. I just couldn't wait to show you my "make-my-day" moments. I wanted to share the joy!

My second photo at right was snapped when the sun dipped behind a cloud. While the light was bright, there wasn't any sun glinting off my arm. I think the colors are truer in the first photo - with sun. The cheek color shows above as a peachy-pink, which it is.

I swatched clockwise, starting at the upper-left corner with the base color, moving to the brown eye color, then to the incredibly complex "eye definer," and finishing with the cheek color. All apply beautifully, including the base color, a golden beige. The eye-defining charcoal green shade is drop-dead gorgeous.

These colors were composed with the finest pearl and pigment particles to create a natural, satin, sheer veil on the skin with a glowing effect. Sadly, the turtles (and the gold "overspray") will disappear with use, so I will be purchasing a second palette for my makeup museum, which is filled with all of Chantecaille's treasures.

Chantecaille is donating 5% of the proceeds from the sale the Sea Turtle Palettes to WIDECAST to help ensure the survival of sea turtles. Sea turtles are in danger. They define all that is ancient and magical about our planet, yet they are endangered and struggling for survival. Their numbers have been severely reduced from historical levels. Persistent exploitation, especially of adult females on nesting beaches, and the widespread collection of eggs are largely responsible for the depleted status of the Caribbean species. In addition to intentional harvesting, the turtles are accidentally captured in active or abandoned fishing gear, resulting in the deaths of tens of thousands of turtles every year. That makes my heart break. On top of that, coral reef and sea grass degradation, oil spills, chemical waste, plastic and other marine debris, high-density coastal development, and an increase in ocean tourism have damaged or eliminated nesting beaches and feeding areas.

Sea turtles once shared the earth with the dinosaurs, and they have been quiet evolutionary participants for eons. Among the most migratory of all creatures, they touch the hearts and economies of over 100 nations. Chantecaille is honoring the impressive beauty and stature of these gentle giants with this Sea Turtle Palette.

The company is partnering with Dr. Karen Eckert of WIDECAST, who is focused on saving sea turtles in the waters of the Caribbean. They have a vision to realize a future in which sea turtles and humans can co-exist, with the turtles surviving and thriving. Please check out WIDECAST and join me in applauding Chantecaille for its continued commitment to support marine wildlife, while introducing lust-worthy makeup.

You can purchase the Sea Turtle Palette at Chantecaille's Web site. It will arrive at Chantecaille counters soon. I'll wait for the palettes to arrive at Neiman Marcus so that I can support my favorite SA and Chantecaille rep when I buy my second one.

Update: Here's another swatch photo, at left. I took it right before the clouds started to get thicker. You decide whether it's better than the sunny photo above.

Photo at top and sea turtle photo courtesy of Chantecaille

17 comments:

Elle said...

Gorgeous!! Especially the blush! I´m still debating if I should buy this palette. It´s just so pretty, but I must admit that I´m not the biggest fan of green and already picked up Chanel´s new quad so actually that would be enough green for me...

Anonymous said...

Hi Charlestongirl!
Thank you for sharing your joy with us, the palette is amazingly gorgeous! even indoors, we manage to have an idea of what those lovely colors look like! I am glad it brought you so much excitement in your quiet life indoors (amazing by the way, the postman who was early...unheard of here!!!:-)
Congratulations too to Chantecaille for its marvellous (and very special for its customers)make-up and for its committment to support the saving of those Caribbean sea-turtles:-)

Clarisse said...

Sorry, it's not Anonymous, it's me, Clarisse!:-)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Elle!

The green is very charcoal - with a touch of green, incredibly wearable. Even those who shy away from green are going to love it. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Clarisse!

Just returned from PT to see your comment. It wasn't the mailman who came early. He seldom comes early. It was UPS, what we call "brown," because their trucks are brown. :)

I am still pumped over the delivery. Going to play some more with it later - after I ice my knee.

Cheryl said...

I have Chantecaille's Tiger in the Wild palette, but the Sea Turtle one looks even prettier. I think I need it.

Soni said...

OOooooooooo!!! *dies*
Must. get. this.

Thank you for the pics!!!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Cheryl!

They are very different...and you do need it. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Soni! You're welcome! Order it - or check with your NM to find out when it will arrive. You'll love it. Guaranteed!

Does your Nordstrom carry Chantecaille? "My store" at Tysons Corner Center doesn't.

Miss Brahms said...

Thanks for swatching for me, Charlestongirl - I feel helpless that I don't have it at Neiman's yet!! The colors look even more fabulous than the Tiger in the Wild, especially for my pale skin, eyes and hair.
I am breathlessly awaiting it's arrival at my store, and am glad that the arrival will coincide with the Beauty Event beginning on the 24th - that way my customers can pick up a big bag of SWAG when they pick up their new Sea Turtle Palette - and a gift from Chantecaille! You are the BEST! I can't wait to show the girls at work....

The Sooj said...

Haha, I used to love my postman too when I was living in my old apartment and it was the same guy every time! At my new apartment, though, it seems to be a different guy everyday. Glad your guy arrived early and made your day. :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Saint Jean!

Sometimes I have different UPS guys.

The ones who always seem to change are the USPS men. I used to have the same mailman for years and years. Now, I barely recognize them, and they come and go so fast, it's a revolving door. I yearn for the good old days when you knew and liked your mail carrier. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Miss Brahms,

I can only imagine that the demand is going to be very high. Remember to save one for my makeup museum!

Unknown said...

This looks so pretty. I especially like the green eye definer and the blush colours is very appealing. Much more so than the blusher in the Tigers palette which was the deciding factor in me passing that up. Maybe this will be the one that makes me cave in?!
Jane x

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Jane!

The deep green eye-defining shade is a stunner. I don't think I have another color exactly like it.

I think you have loved the Tiger. Two of the eye shades are incomparable. But if not, give this one a whirl. Let us know what you think!

Kristie said...

Thank you for sharing swatches and review of the turtle palette. I was so excited about this but the price has me thinking twice.

Charlestongirl said...

Think about it this way, Kristie,

One of the shadows doubles as a highlighter; one as a liner; and you get a blusher with the set. On top of all that, you contribute to saving the gentle giants. If you still can't see spending the money, I may give one away in a few months. Keep checking my giveaway contests. :)