Monday, September 12, 2011

Dior Smoky Khaki 3 Couleurs Smoky Eye Palette for Fall 2011

Dior's new 3 Couleurs Smoky Eye Palettes ($48) offer gorgeous eye color choices for fall. I purchased Smoky Khaki and Smoky Nude weeks ago - the second they became available. I held off on showing them to you for multiple reasons - camera troubles, bad weather, you name it. Now, I'm ready to start with Smoky Khaki.

A breakthrough makeup innovation introduced by Dior: an unparalleled sliding palette that reveals a three-color eye shadow harmony to get catwalk-smoky eyes in three easy steps. This smart palette features soft, powdery textures for an effortless and made-to-measure smoky-eye effect. The extremely bendable base perfectly preps and colors the eyelid, while the eyeshadow duo offers different effects: more matte for a natural ready-to-wear style or more shiny for a glamorous couture style. A collection of trend-setting, sultry harmonies.

Khaki is one of my favorite eye shades. Dior has given it an unusual twist in Smoky Khaki. All three shades in the trio have a khaki cast. No single shade is pure khaki. You might think a khaki lover would find that distressing. Not me! I love this palette.

The khaki cast to each color is subtle. My swatch photos were taken in morning sunshine. I have nearly 50 other swatch photos, taken in various lighting conditions, but they didn't work to my satisfaction. I applied each shade heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator.

At the top, there's a brown shade that "leans khaki." You can see the khaki hue in person, but in the photos, the shade looks brown. You'll have to trust me; that Dior brown leans khaki. There's khaki in the sparkling grey shade too. I hope you get a hint from the swatches. The gold is an antique gold base shade, and I think it's easiest to see the khaki in the gold.

This is a palette you have to go see. You will love the slide-flip compact, with its pop-up mirror. The Beauty Look Book has a feature on Smoky Khaki, so make sure to check that out. You'll see the three shades on a different skin tone.

You can purchase Dior's new 3 Couleurs Smoky Eye Palettes at Sephora, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom - probably anywhere with a Dior counter. I'll keep working with that new camera until I get it right.

Photo at top courtesy of Nordstrom; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

17 comments:

Brooke @ Blushing Noir said...

this was the only one I bought and I just adore it. I definitely want at least one more but I need to see them in person.

Charlestongirl said...

As soon as I can get decent photos, BlushingNoir, I'll put up the nude one. I like it very much too. I took a raft of photos with the Canon, but they are horrible.

They have arrived at most of the counters now. Makes it easier to see them. :)

Brooke @ Blushing Noir said...

it took me forever for photos too, and I'm not crazy about mine either =\ it's beautiful in the pics but in person it's fall over to die for. i can't wait to see the nude! that's one I was considering!

I'm headed out Friday to get Mitzah so I'll check them out then =)

Joey said...

I feel like this is THE Dior palette to get - everyone keeps featuring it!

I am waiting for someone to review Smoky Brown since, y'know, it's the one with the taupe! haha!

Charlestongirl said...

BlushingNoir,

I just got a few half-decent photos of the Smoky Nude shades, so I'll post them this afternoon.

Charlestongirl said...

It's a gorgeous palette, Joey! The moment I saw Dior's advance promo photo, I wanted the khaki one!

I don't think I'll be purchasing Smoky Brown. Nice, but I can't have everything. It would be my third choice. :)

ht said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

I just bought Smoky Khaki on Saturday-- it is SO gorgeous that I can hardly believe it. It goes on so smoothly and the colors are complex and stunning!! :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Have fun with it, taschian! I sure have.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I think the 3 color palettes are much more user-friendly than the 5 colors. Does anyone ever use up ALL of the colors???

Joolz said...

I got Smoky Khaki last weekend and I've been wearing it ever since! I love it so much!
I'm so glad Dior came out with these as the quints just don't work for me.

Charlestongirl said...

MamaVal, I never use all five shades at one time. You're right. Many of us will use all three.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there Joolz!

It's pretty clear that Smoky Khaki won this beauty contest!

LoveSugarBabyDoll said...

I picked up Smoky Pink and Smoky Black the day they came out- still haven't tried them :( Heading back to the DIOR counter today or tomorrow- I have soooo many browns- but this is Khaki- non? (wink wink) I am dying to see/get the Mitzah 5 couleur- the LE three coulour palette I would probably never use- just stick it in a drawer and purr at it frequently. I love the mustardy caramel color and think it might be groovy with my annoyingly pink and yellow toned pale skin. I saw it on Liz and wow- it looked marvelous- thinking add a hot pink lip and off I go! The Mitzah and the Khaki and then I am done! Promise (ha ha) Any thoughts ladies (and gentlemen) ?

Charlestongirl said...

I'm curious, LSBD, why do you want Mitzah? It looked nice on Liz, but the colors are kind of boring. :)

LoveSugarBabyDoll said...

Well Ms. Charleston Girl- I seem to be obsessed with the matte butterscotch mustard color. Though I have yet to see it in person and swatch it on my ever so difficult skin. It may not work for me. I just love this color grouping in the photos. Boring- maybe- basic- most likely- I don't know yet as I can't find them. Have you tried them?

Charlestongirl said...

No, LSBD, I haven't. They just aren't my colors. Anything resembling camel looks "dirty" on my skin. Hope you love them!

Swathi Narumanchi said...

I bought this two days ago and it's so pretty ! I was tempted by the smoky brown too ! But I have too many neutrals ! But this is the first time I have bought green shadows !!!