Saturday, September 3, 2011

Saturday Stroll around the Internet

Last weekend, I totally missed my roundup stroll, and I tweeted that I'd try to catch up. That never happened - until today. Here are some features that caught my eye recently.

The Non-Blonde was smitten with a Guerlain's KissKiss Gloss. I adore every KissKiss lip color I have - lipstick, gloss - you name it - so I'm not surprised she loved Cherry Fizz. Also, if you haven't been reading Gaia's makeup brush features each week, you can't be serious about makeup!

Fab over Forty has become a Chantecaille Ultra Sun Protection SPF 50 +++ disciple. Find out why you should try it too.

You know I loved the new Tom Ford Beauty Lip Color Collection. See even more colors at The Beauty Look Book. It makes me feel good when someone's splurge was more expensive than mine.

Now, head over to Fruity Lashes to see the Tom Ford color of the season, Violet Fatale.

Product Girl is responsible for putting a visit to Trader Joe's on my weekend to-do list. Find out why. Hint: love body oil as much as I do?

Years ago, when my skin was having a sensitivity meltdown, I turned to Atopalm, a fabulous skin-care brand. Find out what DivaDebbi thought of the Cleansing Wipes.

Recently, I received a few sets of Faux (a new online site) lashes to test, and I've been harassing a young friend to be my model. This week, Café Makeup gave the lashes a test drive. They look great.

It was certainly the perfect week for Gouldylox Reviews to test a dry shampoo. She's been without power since Irene.

Teal is one of my all-time favorite colors - for fashion and beauty. Check out BeautyXposé for the latest in tantalizing teal, which, according to Ken Downing, is a hot color for fall.

Like me, Daly Beauty has a crush on Stila's Yumberry Crush lip stain.

Find out why the NARS Grand Palais is on Beauty Black Book's dance card.

This weekend, I'll be showing you a few candles I received from NEST Fragrances, makers of some of my all-time favorite candles. Eyeliner on a Cat previewed them already. You must read her feature. From a gourmet treat to the ultimate fall scent, NEST has scored again.

Olfactorialist is costing me money! Not too long ago, Part 3 of a rose fragrance series made me pull out my wallet. More to come on that here.

Yesterday, I went to my orthopedic surgeon, who confirmed that the most probable cause of the constant tingling in my right arm is a pinched nerve. I'm now taking a week's dose of cortisone and hope to leap tall buildings and shop with abandon on Fashion's Night Out next Thursday. I need energy! First, though, I plan to spend some time recharging with my family members above.

Photo by Best Things in Beauty

20 comments:

Nemo said...

Charleston girl, I love that new Tom Ford lipstick in Violet Fatale! Do you think it would work with my coloring (fair skin, cool rosy tones, blue-green eyes and honey blonde hair) AND do you think it would be compatible with the LMDB Silk Road eye kit?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Nemo!

The color will work for you if you don't mind leading with your lips. It's bright. Brighter than I expected from its appearance in the tube.

Yes, it will look just fine with Silk Road. It doesn't "coordinate," but it won't clash either.

Have you purchased LMdB's Uma Paro lip gloss? Exquisite!

Nemo said...

Charlestongirl, thank you for your tips. No, I have not purchased that LMDB gloss. Will have to check it out. Here is another Q for you: Is there a Tom Ford eye quad that would look good on me and coordinate with the Violet Fatale lipstick? I never have purchased Tom Ford anything, so this is new. That's spells fun.

Eileen said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

Love the picture of "the children". They look so warm and cozy :-)

I don't know which Autopalm you use, but I always have a big jar of the moisturizing cream on hand and love it. Created for dry, über-sensitive skin, it is perfect for any part of the face or body that needs a bit of extra love. I couldn't get through our Santa Ana wind season (desert winds) without it.

Enjoy a labor free Labor Day weekend.

Charlestongirl said...

Nemo, wait for the new TF quads to arrive in the stores. I wouldn't purchase one of the older ones.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Eileen!

Same here, that Atopalm moisturizing cream is fabulous. I used to use it regularly - and still pull it out when my skin is grouchy. I'm thankful we don't have those winds. That hurts!

Hope you enjoy the weekend too. I have a nap in my immediate future.

Nemo said...

What are the names of your darling kitties? My last cat, Nemo, for whom this URL is named, had to be put to sleep a year ago this month. I miss him so! He was so wonderfully naughty! I am catless now and hate it.

Eileen said...

Hi Nemo,

TF is launching a whole new collection which includes several quads that would coordinate beautifully with Violet Fatale. The British blogs have an abundance of pictures of them because they had a special "unveiling" just awhile back and a number of bloggers attended.

Hi Charlestongirl,

Do you know when we will actually be getting the rest of the new TF beauty on counter? We always get things a bit later out here on the West Coast than you do back east.

Enjoy that nap :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Sorry, Nemo and Eileen. I did take a nap - for way too long.

We expect to see the new TF colors VERY soon, maybe next week. I'm checking with Kathy to find out, and I'll come back as soon as she knows.

Now for the blasphemy...

Nemo, the TF makeup, as nice as it is, isn't worth the money, in my humble opinion, when you can buy other luxury colors for less money. I buy because I write a beauty blog, and sometimes I get carried away (I should have narrowed my selections of these lipsticks to two, but we didn't have testers when I bought). The prices are ludicrous. If you don't own every single Armani and LMdB shade, and you haven't bought Chantecaille's new palette yet, try them next. Just three examples of superb brands that cost less than TF. I could go on, but I'll spare you.

Charlestongirl said...

And...

Nemo, I'm so sorry. I still grieve for my old pets.

There are so many darling kitties at the shelters and humane societies who need loving homes. Please fill that tiny void in your life! Savannah (grey tabby) came from the Loudoun County Humane Society, which had seized her to protect her when she was a kitten. Charleston, the Snow Marble Bengal, Mr. Alpha Cat on top of the chair (naturally), was purchased. My first purchased cat ever. He has more than earned the investment. Bengals are AMAZING animals. Search on Charlie and Bengal on my blog, and you will find out much more about him and see much better photos of my blue-eyed boy.

Charlestongirl said...

More...

For anyone who wants a gorgeous deep plum/wine lipstick for fall...

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/yves-saint-laurent-rouge-volupte-pearl-lipstick-midnight-garden-fall-collection/3217859?origin=category&resultback=6

Unknown said...

Charlestongirl, sorry about that pinched nerve. How does that happen? Glad you got some meds for it.

I concur re Tom Ford makeup though I haven't seen the collection. I got one of the lipsticks a few seasons ago in the NM shopping spree - the only way I would get one at those prices - and concluded that it wasn't better than YSL or Chanel. Having said that, it would be nice to see the eyeshadow quads, some of which have some interesting color combinations. Will any of our stores get them? I'd hate to order a quad or two just to look at them, then return if the colors don't work for me.

Charlestongirl said...

Ava,

Bal Harbor, North Park, Dallas, and Beverly Hills. Kathy can option 7 them if you check the Brit blogs and select a quad.

I am not sure how a pinched nerve happens. It can result from a bone spur or a disk problem. Basically, something's pressing on a nerve. We won't know the cause of mine until/if I get an MRI. For now, my doc is treating the symptoms.

Charlestongirl said...

You can see more about the TF collection at these two blogs. Click on photos to enlarge them at British Beauty Blogger.

http://www.makeup4all.com/

http://www.britishbeautyblogger.com/2011/08/tom-ford-beauty.html

Charlestongirl said...

Nemo, our Tysons Corner store isn't getting the TF quads. So Kathy can option 7 them for you from another NM if you see a photo of one you like.

Fruity Lashes said...

Thanks for the mention! Can't wait for your Sisley Review. I never really tried their skincare line before and only remember them because Hubby wanted to buy that $300 Sisleÿum for men.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Fruity lashes, you're welcome. Great post!

Husband was right to want it. That line for men is fab-u-lous. Smells so good, and, of course, it works too.

Carrie Meredith said...

Thank you for the link! I must now sheepishly admit that the Tahiti Vanille candle is almost gone now. That shows you how obsessed I am!

Daly Beauty said...

Ooh thank you for the link love xo and thank you also for the introduction to Olfactorialist! What a fantastic blog! Have added to my blogroll- love it.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Jane! You're welcome. Don't you just love Stila?

I can't believe that you, a total fragrance guru, didn't know her blog. Glad to help. She's good. :)