Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Lipstick Queen Jean Queen

Finally, there's a Lipstick Queen counter in the "backwaters" of the Washington, DC area! The newly expanded and magnificent beauty department at Bloomingdale's Tysons Corner Center has a Space NK counter, which includes Lipstick Queen by Poppy King, By Terry, and some other great brands. I dropped by last weekend and spent some quality time browsing. I came home with Lipstick Queen By Poppy lip colors, including the Jean Queen Lipstick ($18) and Lip Gloss ($18).

Jean Queen is a special pink lip color that offsets the blue in denim and lights up your whole face at the same time. "One stroke and you and your jeans go from drab to fab!" With a super-silky feel on the lips and just the right amount of shine to contrast with denim, these pinks suit all skin tones. Besides that, the packaging is extra-cute. It will attract your attention on the display.

The lipstick is super-sheer. I totally loved it when I tried it on my arm in the store, and I love it on my lips. The color reminds me of my new-ish Tongue Tickles Succulence of Dew from Rouge Bunny Rouge. The lip gloss is actually more pigmented than the lipstick and provides a lovely shine. The two lip colors can be worn together or alone, the perfect companion to your blue jeans (or anything else). Even the packaging has a denim theme. I think it's clever; it preceded a recent French luxury collection with a similar theme.

Despite the fact that our area has turned into Seattle - or maybe a rain forest - I was able to get a few swatch photos to show you. My photos were taken with clouds, but it was during a bright stretch. The lipstick is shown at the top of my arm, and the lip gloss is below.

The pink is a warm rose pink to my eye. It's absolutely gorgeous on the lips. Not only is the color a perfect complement to denim, it makes my eyes look really blue. There's something about this rose-pink shade that enlivens my face. I look alive and cheerful when I wear this color - even if my back hurts. The formulas are nicely hydrating.

Poppy says this color "offsets" jeans perfectly for day or evening. I agree, but I wouldn't limit the use of these scrumptious colors to jeans days! The lipstick and lip gloss shades are similar, but not exact duplicates. That's why I needed both - as you will.

I am thrilled to have a Lipstick Queen counter in our area. If you live nearby, you should go see the new beauty department at Bloomingdale's. Even if you don't live near DC, you too can wear Poppy King's legendary lip colors. Just click on this link to find a retail outlet near you.

Even though I'm a new Lipstick Queen wearer, I'll bet some of you aren't. Are you a fan?

Top photo courtesy of the Lipstick Queen; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

11 comments:

Alice said...

I own the lipgloss and it's a definite go-to for me on days I favor gloss over lipstick!

Unknown said...

I'm so pleased that we finally have a SpaceNK! Now I'll have more time to explore lines like Lipstick Queen, which I've only been able to look at in passing when I'm traveling. They also have one my favorite nail polish lines, Rococo!

Abby said...

That lipstick looks beautiful. I love sheer, vibrant colors.

Charlestongirl said...

Wow, first three comments from A's!

Alice, I have worn this gloss alone, and it provides plenty of color. It's love!

Charlestongirl said...

Ava, isn't it exciting? The store told me last year, but made me promise to keep it a secret. They have Chantecaille there now too. :)

Charlestongirl said...

You'd love it, Abby!

Alice said...

I think I shall wear the gloss alone for my Friday morning class...I think the rosy color will look just lovely without being too overpowering. Your post has me very interested in the lipstick now..I may just have to stop by Space NK while I'm at Bloomingdales for their Friends & Family sale!

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I have loved this forever...and have NEVER seen a negative review, so why don't I own it? Who knows? Forgetful me, scatterbrain, ADHD....could be any of the above.

Anonymous said...

I am definitely a Lipstick Queen fan. They have the best texture. I'm hoping she will continue expanding her color offerings, too.

Charlestongirl said...

Alice, what a great idea! :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi MamaVal, and it's only a short train ride away now, You would enjoy the gals at the counter.