Sunday, September 4, 2011

YSL Beauté Eyeliner Effet Faux Cils Long-Wear Cream Eyeliner for Fall 2011

YSL Beauté's brand new Eyeliner Effet Faux Cils Long-Wear Cream Eyeliner ($35) intensifies the eye with a spectacular long-lasting look. I saw the liners for the first time at a media event, and I fell in love with No 4, Sea Black, which is really blue. The moment the liners arrived at Neiman Marcus Tysons Galleria, I pounced by phone.

Eyeliner Effet Faux Cils Long-Wear Cream Eyeliner is available in six shades. The shade name on my box differs from the shade name in the promotional literature. I've included the box name in parentheses in the list below after the promotional name. I like the box names best.
  • No 1 Pure Black (Deep Black)
  • No 2 Black Grey (Ashy Black)
  • No 3 Black Bronze (Bronze Black)
  • No 4 Black Blue (Sea Black)
  • No 5 Black Burgundy (Cherry Black)
  • No 6 Black Green (Jade Black)
Here are a couple of swatch photos taken in sunshine - and one taken with a light overcast. I am finally using my new camera, but I'm not proficient with it yet. Please bear with me as I find the rhythm I need to get a sharp focus with the zoom lens set for close-up shots. What looks perfect in the viewfinder isn't.

As you can see in my swatch photos - regardless of my skills - the shade of Sea Black is indigo blue. It reminds me of this beautiful art shot of dandelion seed heads that you can find at redbubble.com (and purchase for greeting cards).

Its name, Sea Black, is something of a misnomer to me. It's blue through and through. On the lids, it looks blue - a gorgeous deep blue that catches the light, but does not shimmer on its own. I hope you can see that from the different light exposures of my swatch photos.

My photos show a thin line and a thick one, both drawn with an eyeliner brush. This cream liner applies like the best gel liners - smoothly and easily. It will stay on your lids until you're ready to remove it - and then some. While it's not marked waterproof, I have to remove it with an oil-based long-wear eye makeup remover.

I need to get over to the store to see the green, grey, and bronze shades. I am very pleased with YSL's new eyeliner. I know already I need a few more shades. I'm sure it will be available at all YSL counters soon. For now, I can tell you with certainty that Neiman Marcus Tysons received it.

Liner photos by Best Things in Beauty; dandelion photo courtesy of redbubble.com

23 comments:

Eileen said...

What a pretty blue and so on trend with all the navy smoky eyes we're seeing. There appears to be a bit of blue shine as the light plays across the liner although I'd never describe the liner as shiny per se. It's subtle and very attractive. I bet it's beautiful on your eyes. Actually, I prefer the name Sea Black. It's like the ocean at night. It appears black except where the moonlight casts its silvery reflection tinged with deepest blue. It's so much more poetic than Black Blue, don't you think? Black Blue sounds like something a pugilist would wear! LOL

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen!

I do see the shine when I'm in strong light. Otherwise, as the darker photo shows, it doesn't show me the shine. I might see more if I applied a thicker line. The gals at the counter have discovered they can smudge it for a very pretty shadow too.

I think someone at YSL rethought the names after the promotional materials were printed (not unusual). "Sea Black" has such nice connotations. :)

Meeta said...

This is gorgeous, such beautiful depth. I am looking forward to trying these out.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Meeta,

I think you'll like them. Let us know, please.

Nemo said...

Love the new YSL liner! I bought many of the new (as of several months ago anyway) YSL waterproof eye pencils after seeing them on your blog. They are simply the best: easy to use, stay on forever. I will definitely get the new liner.

Unknown said...

I was really hoping when I was in the city the other weekend they would have this collection because I'm very interested in the Bronze Black and Cherry Black but alas I was disappointed.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Nemo!

I really love the blue one. Hope to see the rest tomorrow if the store is open.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi PP,

They just arrived in my area. May take a bit longer for us to see the rest of the collection. I am very anxious to get my hands on a few other things. :)

melisand61 said...

I almost bought one of the Bobbi Brown gel liners at Saks today. I was looking for a dark blue. I wound up with a bunch of other products instead (corrector, concealer kit, eye cream and the lovely Plum Berry lipstick). Now I'm glad that I didn't get the gel liner, because the YSL looks like the perfect dark blue.

I'm new to your blog btw, having discovered it on The Non Blonde. I'm enjoying it very much.

Walls said...

Hi, Charlestongirl! Any chance that these YSL cream liners come with a brush? I am going to take a leap and assume they don't, but it would be nice if they, like the Suqqu liners, came equipped with a quality brush. Any particular brush recommendation when it comes to applying this product? I am definitely going to pick up Pure Black or Black Grey when the liners land at my local YSL counter. I have been loving the YSL waterproof pencil since purchasing one two weeks ago; like others have remarked, it's a brilliant alternative to Armani's la femme bleue limited edition liners! Thanks for this post and recommendation.

pinkribbons said...

Even the name of the liners have got me at hello! Love the deep blue, I agree you need to get more of these! Would love to see a swatch of the Black Bronze colour :) thanks for sharing.

blondycandy said...

Can't wait to get ##4,5 & 6!YSL International Makeup Artist told me that you can use these liners like eye shadows too!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi BlondyCandy!

The YSL gals are quite excited about using the cream liners as shadows. I want to play - and not with blue - on my eyelids. Maybe tomorrow. Never made it over there today.

Marie said...

No doubts left, I'm totally in love with YSL Eyeliner (and with YSL makeup line in general :D)! I already use this product in black and I love it but this wonderful blue is amazing! I've never tried it but now I know what I have to do asap, it's perfect for this winter!

p.: sorry if I made mistakes but I'm french and I need to improve my english ^^

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Marie and welcome!

Your English is so great I would never have known you were in France. I wish my French were 1/20th as good!

I will show more colors as soon as I can. Lovely eyeliner!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Walls,

There is a brush. It doesn't come with it. It is $25. If you don't have a cream-gel liner brush already, it's very nice.

Sorry for my delay in answering. I took a bit of a break today.

LoveSugarBabyDoll said...

I think I need to see these in person- :)

Soni said...

Oh my! I love the new YSL eyeliner pencils and now I see that I need to check these out as well. This deep sea black color is beautiful!! And it really does look like the ocean at night. (at least the Pacific ocean) Gorgeous!!! (you're doing GREAT with your new camera!)

Charlestongirl said...

I bought two more today, LoveSugarBabyDoll. Got captured!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Soni, so great that I actually went out and bought a third one today! I wasn't happy with the shots of makeup with my new Canon, so I bought a really cool, tiny little four thirds camera today. It is beyond cool.

I have my eyes on another little one too, so I need to stop and "focus." :)

Bonnie C. said...

Ah, another gorgeous navy eyeliner! So beautiful, thanks for a wonderful review. I bet it really makes your eyes twinkle. :-)

Anonymous said...

I think I need that blue! I see that they have a new brush that can be bought separately. Did you try it as well?

Charlestongirl said...

Looks like I missed a few comments!

Thanks, Melisand61! You too, Bonnie! It really is pretty.

Anonymous, I saw the brush, played with it, liked it very much, but did not purchase it. I might have if I didn't have so many great brushes.

Hope I didn't miss anyone else.