Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Clinique Runway Coral: Pizazz Made Simple

Direct from Fashion Week in New York City, Clinique's limited-edition Long Last Lipstick in Runway Coral ($15) is a stunner. This coral lipstick was created by Global Colour Artist Jenna Menard for Karen Walker's Spring/Summer 2012 fashion collection.

Karen wanted the models to look youthful and pretty, with a sophisticated twist. So Menard kept the eye look simple and went for a strong, vibrant lip (a la Angelina Jolie). She chose bright coral because it's less predictable than red. Clinique's labs created the perfect shade. It worked with the fashions, and it worked with the models' skin tones. You can see how she created Runway Coral at this link.

Runway Coral is not a shade in my comfort zone - exactly why I ordered it from Clinique's Web site. Bright lips? You won't see me sporting them very often. Coral? Not me. However, I'm smitten with this beautiful lip color. I won't wear it often, but there are occasions that call for a vibrant lip color. I can pull out Runway Coral and be right in style with this year's orange tones vying for "look at me" attention.

Here are two swatch photos taken in full sun. Yep; it's bright. Yep; it's coral. Does it look good with my cool-toned, fair skin? Yes, amazingly. I never thought I'd be able to wear a coral lip.

I do have to take care that it doesn't scream against my other makeup or clothing. It's bright. I think Runway Coral may have shaken me out of my comfort zone - just a tiny bit. I've worn it as a stain (applied, blotted, and "enhanced" with a lip gloss) and as a lipstick (at night). I think it looked pretty darn good. No one recognized me, I'm sure.

Runway Coral is/was an online exclusive at Clinique's Web site. I ordered mine about a week ago. I just checked and it's currently listed as sold out. I hope Clinique responds to the demand and makes more of them.

Photo at top courtesy of Clinique; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

3 comments:

Elysse said...

It looks bright and cheerful! Very pretty and not too alienating for us cool-toned people! I think I'd love it as a stain and I haven't got anything like it.

Anonymous said...

how does this compare to the sephora pantone orange?

Shelnmum said...

So pretty! And its sold out:-( I think the Poppy King for J Crew lipstick and LMdB's Riveria lipstick would be similar:-)