Sunday, March 3, 2013

Estée Lauder's Pure Color Five Color EyeShadow Palette in Batik Sun from the Bronze Goddess Collection for Summer 2013

I got my hands on Estée Lauder's Pure Color Five Color Eyeshadow Palette in Batik Sun ($48) from the Bronze Goddess Collection last week, and every day since, it has been cloudy outside for most of the day - the way it is today. It's cloudy now, but during the last hour, the sun peeked through the clouds long enough for me to run inside and out trying to get swatch photos of Batik Sun. That was a very frustrating process, but...finally I can show it to you, with a bit of sun.

As an aside, we have not had a winter this cloudy and rainy for years. Last winter, didn't go for a week at a time without the sun I needed for photos. This winter has been a bear. Fortunately, not much in the way of snow has fallen, but the weather guys are predicting a mid-week storm that could give us between zero inches and 12. I'll be praying for zero. Rain would be nice.

The Batik Sun EyeShadow Palette was created by Tom Pecheux for the ultimate eye expression. A high-style mix of textures and shades to inspire creative blending, highlighting, and color accenting. Release your inner artist. This versatile five-color palette allows you to play with intensities, mix and blend shades, and express different attitudes - from soft to bold. Holds five varying color intensities and finishes: matte, satin, shimmer, or metallic. Use the shades for a touch of trend or to make an all-out color statement. The highlighter is the magic touch. Use it to brighten the look and widen eyes instantly. The deepest shade structures and defines the eyes.

With this eye shadow palette, what you see is what you get. See orange? It's orange. See gold? It's gold. See turquoise? It's turquoise. Turquoise green. That's refreshing. My photo (directy above) of the palette is dark, and Estée Lauder's is too bright. Rely on the swatches.

I've already explained the sun situation. I swatched quickly with a sponge-tipped applicator. I swatched in clockwise order, starting with the orange at the top left and moving around to end with the pretty brown with the "EL" logo.

I can wear the orange shade when it's applied lightly with a brush - as a wash of color paired with one of the neutrals. There's no way I could wear an artsy look of orange and turquoise, unless I expected stares.

Hilary Rhoda has the coloring and looks to pull that off. You can see that she is wearing the bronzing products, and she has the turquoise on her eyelid and the orange under her brows.

All of the shades have shimmer in them - some more than others. I believe they used a Five Color EyeShadow Palette description that was available. Not one of these shades is matte, and satin is a stretch when I can see finishes ranging from a sheen to shimmer.

 The gold is a very pretty gold that applies beautifully and adheres nicely for a semi-metallic shade. The turquoise will be very pretty when applied as a wash of color - like the orange. I think this shade looks pretty for casual events in the heat of summer.  The ivory is a fabulous highlighter or base shade. The brown is a cool brown that excites me.

This is definitely a summer palette. I will tuck it away and bring it out in a few months - definitely on a day when we aren't considering a mid-week snowfall.

I purchased mine at Neiman Marcus. The collection is available at the Estée Lauder Web site, and I suspect it has made its way to all or most counters by now. I have a few more pieces from the collection that I'll feature once the sun comes out and stays out.

Photo at top and of Hilary Rhoda courtesy of Estée Lauder; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

22 comments:

Evelyn said...

I think I can wear this...I need some ideas though because the turquoise is not something I usually wear nor is the orange for that matter! Trying something new is a good idea. :) As a total aside, I ran across the NY in Bloom Elizabeth Arden collection at Macys. I thought it was unexpected for Arden and worth a try on my next visit.

Paige said...

This palette looks so pretty. I've never worn turquoise or orange on my eyes before and this palette would have intimidated me with the colorfulness. However, the somewhat wearable look on Hilary gives me at least an idea how to wear it: turquoise on lid, brown in the crease, and a touch of gold on the middle of the lid. I prefer to leave out the orange as it could be too much going on.

Running with Scissors said...

I am *so* not a fan of that turquoise! Shudder....

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Evelyn,

I think you can too. Now you are making me want to go to Macy's.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Paige,

When you study the photo of Hilary, you learn how to use it. I might go a little lighter (well, OK, I would), but her look is lovely.

Charlestongirl said...

Christy, from your photo, I so want to get my hands on you with an eye shadow brush and show you that you can!

bedazzled64 said...

I want so much from this collection! I may pass on the e/s palette but definitely getting the highlighter. I've heard that they brought back the original scent (I think from 2011) for the BG perfume. Do you know if this is true? I really want to get this as well!

Charlestongirl said...

Lisa, this is the press release...

"Continuing this Caribbean-inspired experience, Limited Edition, cult-favorite Bronze Goddess Eau Fraiche SkinScent and
Limited Edition Bronze Goddess Body Oil capture the beauty, sensation and enjoyment of sun-drenched beaches in a luscious fragrance collection that makes every woman feel divine.
Bronze Goddess Eau Fraiche SkinScent is housed in the classic Bronze Goddess bottle silhouette, re-invented in a semi-transparent golden bottle design. Comprised of luxurious and intoxicating ingredients, this exotic scent is reminiscent of a tropical beach under the constant heat of the sun, with a creamy heart of golden Amber that emanates pure summer.
• The Sensuous Heat of the Sun: The core of this Radiant Amber scent exudes smooth sensuality. The creaminess of Coconut Milk,
Sandalwood and Vanilla unwinds with silky warmth. The exotic combination of Vetiver and Myrrh deepens the sexiness with its embrace.
• The Silky Softness of Warm Sand: Velvety smooth Amber, with its warm, mysterious scent, glows at the center, pulsing the
uninhibited spirit of summer’s sultry heat through the fragrance. The vibrancy of bright, zesty elements infuses the fragrance with
sun-drenched lightness. Juicy Mandarin, Sicilian Bergamot and Lemon blend with Pulpy Orange for a mouth-watering sensation.
• The Radiance of Bronzed Skin: An intoxicating blend of milky flowers adds to the creaminess of the Amber signature. Luscious
Tiare Flower and exotic Jasmine blend with the tenderness of Magnolia Petals for an indulgent floral effect. Orange Flower Buds add a glimpse of sunshine with lustrous floralcy, while fresh Lavender adds a breath of softness.
Infused with the classic Bronze Goddess scent, Bronze Goddess Body Oil is enriched with emollient oils and helps to provide skin with a protective and nourishing barrier. Housed in a clean glass bottle, this silky, lightweight oil is infused with the classic Bronze Goddess fragrance and glides easily onto the skin for the ultimate skin softening experience
The outer packaging of Bronze Goddess Eau Fraiche SkinScent and Bronze Goddess Body Oil Spray features a new, stylish and sophisticated island-inspired pattern designed for the bronze goddess in every woman."

Unknown said...

I saw this at the EL store but orange and turquoise on my eyes would really not look good. The gold and bronze are beautiful though. The eyeshadows in Violet Underground, I think would look better on me. The SA said they would receive them this week so I'll get that.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Just not for me. Too much. And sometimes, too much is just...too much.

angusmum1 said...

As I mentioned when the colection was first mentioned, I think this is a palette I really want. I have to limit myself so will look at a few of the other oferings. I am comfortable with all the colours except the turquoise but i am geting more confident in trying new looks. I know these colours are very flatering for blue eyed ladies and I am very interested in the duo eyeliner in bronze/black that is a part of this collection. I have seen looks done using both green and orange and they were quite beautiful and wearable as well. Im not familiar with EL products other than some lip anf face products, how to decide which to get. I must get to see them in person. So far the EL website has limited info so hopefully they will change from the spring colection to this! Thanks so much for the swatches, its so great to have the chance to see them when you are nowhere near a counter. did you get the duo eyeliner as well?

Victoria said...

This eye shadow palette is unbelievably gorgeous!! It would be so much fun to play with it. I want, want, want this eye shadow! All the colors just look beautiful.

Hummingbird5 said...

What gorgeous swatches. Thank you, CG! These are beautiful, wearable shades. Not only for summer, but think how perfect for next fall, too. I wish you would stop finding things I must have. :-)

Ginny said...

Oh this is so beautiful! I'm so glad I ordered this! Can't wait to receive it!

Charlestongirl said...

Have fun with the violets, Dollie!

Charlestongirl said...

LOL MamaVal,

Play with it in the store.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi angusmum1,

No. I need another eyeliner like...

You could fill in the blanks for me. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Victoria,

I thought so too.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Hummingbird,

I wish I didn't find so much I want. This stuff is addictive.

Charlestongirl said...

Have fun with it, Ginny!

angusmum1 said...

I just bought a new matte palette from the Balm called Meet Matte Nude. It is really going to be great, the colours are wearable and the pans are 3x the former matte palette. I used the white wet as a base and then tried a look with green on the lid, brown crease gradually to a soft orange above. It worked quite well as I blended. The part that was so amazing for me was using the wonderful matte white underneath as it removed the crepiness and created such a smooth look for the green, I used the orange as a light wash. Anyway my eyes looked sensational in their blue colour. The key was blendng and more than anything the wash of white matte as a base. I got the idea from a video so I think the matte palette is going to be very useful in mixing it up so things arent so shiny. Maybe others know all about this I didnt so was pretty excited I could create a bolfd look and have it turn out wearable, flattering and not nearly as bold as I thought

Anonymous said...

I felt in love when I saw this pallete!!!! I would like to know exactly about the orange shade, because sometimes photos don't give the actual color as it really is!!! Is a bright orange, is it copper orange or is a little bit coral?? I love too the teal eyeshadow but I don't know if fits to me as I am fair with dark blond hair and hazel eyes. I would like also to know about the gold shade? Is a peach gold shade? or is a light gold??? For example would it be a good combination to wear gold shadow in the lid and the orange in the crease??? Also could I wear on the lid the nude fresco estee lauder eyeshadow, and orange in the crease or it wouldn't it match if the shadow on the lid is a little bit peach-coral with the orange one in the crease??