Thursday, May 23, 2013

Aroma M Beauty Camellia Face Oil - An Organic Treat for Your Skin

I love camellias. To me, they are among the most elegant shrub-growing flowers. Based on receiving a lovely sample of aroma M Beauty's Camellia Face Oil, I've spent a few months researching camellia oil and its beneficial properties.

What have I learned? Since the 14th century or before, camellia oil has been widely used for many purposes, including skin care and hair care. Camellia oil is composed primarily of oleic acid, a mono-unsaturated fatty acid, which has a similar composition to natural human sebum and other essential fatty acids, such as linoleic acid. Its oleic acid percentage is the highest among the natural oils being used for cosmetic purposes today. Those in the know are aware that oils are one of the latest best things in skin care. You're seeing them everywhere, right?

Studies of oleic and other fatty acids have proven that they are an excellent emollient and a remarkable natural agent for the retention and enhancement of moisture. A lack of lipid or fatty substances impairs our skin’s ability to retain moisture. These substances in human skin decline as we age, and this deficit is a key factor that causes our skin to dry as we age.

Studies have demonstrated that oleic acid has unparalleled penetration power, capable of permeating deeply into the lower layers of the stratum corneum to greatly enhance the beneficial effects of collagen and elastin (which are essential for cell growth and flexibility), helping to repair the damage caused by dryness, sun exposure, and other factors. Using camellia oil on the skin results in restoration of the skin’s elasticity, significant improvement in skin texture, and elimination or remarkable reduction of fine lines and small wrinkles.

American born artist Maria McElroy synthesized her love of blending colors and textures with her passion for scent to create aroma M perfumes in 1995. Maria's seven-year journey, rich in Japanese history, romance, and mystery, became the genesis for aroma M Beauty and the inspiration for the new capsule collection of her renowned Geisha beauty products.

Maria's appreciation for Japanese culture and aesthetics and her extraordinary experiences in the secretive world of the Kyoto Gion Geishas have been the foundation for aroma M’s Beauty products. Steeped in the ways of ancient Eastern traditions, and adhering to the Eastern mandate that beauty is a daily routine, Maria uses unexpected, precious ingredients in her beauty line.

Her gourmand combinations are a direct influence from Maria’s Kyoto-born chef husband. Tuberose and rosemary, jasmine, and frankincense essential oils are designed to smell beautiful and simultaneously enchant the mind, the soul, and the skin. Drawing on her aromatherapy background, Maria has developed elixirs that will satisfy all your beauty needs.

In her beauty products, she uses organic cold pressed oils and organic essential oils - all carefully selected for the ultimate refined beauty experience. Although she is well known for her fragrances, her beauty line is relatively new. Her initial two offerings were the Camellia Hair Oil and Camellia Face Oil. She sent me samples of both. Today, I want to focus on Camellia Face Oil.

Maria's Camellia Face Oil (40 ml, $95) is a luxurious face moisturizer. I know that many of you appreciate the benefits of using oils for hydration. I think you'll love her camellia oil. At a visible/practical level, camellia oil is said to remove impurities from the skin while it moisturizes, freshens, and purifies the skin. I've even read that it offers UVB protection, stretch mark prevention and reduction, treatment of eczema, and even acne and acne scars, and treatment for thinning hair - although I have no proof for any of those benefits. Since it has been used for centuries, there's got to be something to it. TATCHA and Shu Uemura Art of Hair also offer camellia oil-based products, and you know how good their products are.

The ingredients in Maria's Camellia Face Oil are organic camellia seed oil, organic carrot seed oil, organic golden jojoba oil, organic apricot kernel oil, organic evening primrose oil, organic argan oil, vitamin E, organic essential oils of jasmine, neroli, geranium, and frankincense - giving Camellia Face Oil a divine natural fragrance. Because aroma M Beauty oils are made in small batches and contain these natural ingredients, they should be used within six months of purchase - they are that pure.

I have used up the sample Maria sent me. I loved it. If you've never used oil on your face, you might think it would be messy. It's not - hence the popularity of oils today (think argan oil, one you probably know). Camellia Face Oil absorbs quickly, leaving behind a moist, smooth feeling. Oil-based moisturizers can even be used by those with oily or combination skin. They absorb readily and do not create or increase oiliness. They hydrate and leave behind soft skin. Just apply a few precious drops on moist, freshly washed skin - your face, neck, and décolleté. I suggest you pat the oil onto your skin, giving yourself a pressure massage as you do. Use Maria's oil for a few days, morning and night, and you'll start to see a difference in your skin's hydration levels.

The aroma M Beauty line is artfully housed in a modern art nouveau glass bottle. Each bottle is adorned with Aroma M’s signature patterned Yuzen paper designs, handcrafted in Kyoto to complete the Japonesque design. They are luxurious inside and out.

Aroma M Beauty's Camellia Face and Hair Oils are on sale at Maria's online boutique through May 31. We all like discounts, so why not try one of the aroma M Beauty camellia oils and save 10%? I can assure you that the hair oil will make your hair shine like no other. I was skeptical, but now I'm a believer in that too. I was an easy sell on the face oil.

Photos courtesy of aroma M Beauty, wikimedia, and nationalgeographic

5 comments:

Melanie said...

I bet this smells heavenly! I love oils and right now am using rose hip seed oil. I think that I will have to add this to my must-try list. Thank you for the post!

Claire said...

Wow, I can almost "smell" the oil from your description. It sounds really divine! Are those pictures your own camellias? They are beautiful!

Charlestongirl said...

Melanie,

It does. Very floral with just a slight touch of "herby."

Charlestongirl said...

Photos: Unfortunately not, Claire. The photo sources are at the bottom of the feature.

Anonymous said...

First of all I would like to say that this is the first comment I've ever left on any blog. I've been reading yours for a while now and i love it! Thanks to you I've discovered many great things! (like all the wonderful lip shines and pretty make up! and great skincare like Sisley's Black Rose Mask and Tatcha for example, simply amazing! love all of her products but especially the polish totally saves my skin whenever it breaks out.) So I wanted to say thank you.
Will have to try this camellia oil, and the hair version, really looking forward to your post on it. :)
Tuberose is my favorite flower and smell.
Have you tried Tatcha's camellia oil and their camellia lip balm? I believe it is a new collection. I've tried the lip balm, and I love it, I think you will too.
Doesn't matter to me if you post my comment or not, I mainly just wanted to say Thank you to you :)
(Oh and I'd also like to try LMdB eye mask someday.)