Sunday, May 5, 2013

Guerlain Fard Métal Iridescent Eyeshadow in Bronze Ora from the Terra Ora Collection for Summer 2013

When I saw the advance photos of the limited-edition Loose Powder Eye Shadows ($35.00) from Guerlain's Terra Ora Collection for Summer 2013, I gasped. You know I purchased one, Cuivre Ora, the moment these shadows were released. Now, I have purchased the second, Bronzed Ora. It's taupe - not the bronzed brown I expected -  and I can't resist taupe eye shadows.

The secret for beautiful eyes this summer, Guerlain’s loose iridescent eye shadows give an immediate metallic result with only one light application. The shadows are available in two easy-to-wear shades: Cuivre Ora, a warm and sensual copper, and Bronze Ora: a timeless bronzed brown.

As I started to play with the shadows, I noted significant differences. As I mentioned in my feature spotlighting Cuivre Ora, it looks like molten metal on the eyelids. Bronzed Ora is more discreet. While Cuivre Ora made a bit of a mess, spreading bits of copper when I pulled the applicator from the tube, Bronzed Ora's applicator brought out only a few bits of pigment.

Cuivre Ora is a nighttime eye shadow for me. Bronzed Ora offers a daytime look. I stated to play with it at Bloomingdale's, fell in love, and brought it home for more play time. I'm so glad I purchased it. I expect to wear it often.

I took swatch photos in full mid-day sun, applying Bronzed Ora straight from the tube. While you could use a brush, I'm not sure it's necessary. I have full control and no fallout on my face when I apply it using its own applicator.

Isn't this a beautiful, sparkling taupe? It reminds me of Crystal Gayle's song, Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue. Brown lids, blue eyes. This brown, though, is light and as perfect as it gets.

The little scratch on my swatching arm? I was roughhousing with Charlie the other night. He won.

Guerlain’s Terra Ora collection is available at select locations of Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Sephora, and Bergdorf Goodman - and of course at the Guerlain Boutiques. I purchased my Bronze Ora at Bloomingdale's. If you passed this by without seeing swatches, will you now reconsider?

Photo at top courtesy of Guerlain; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

As timely as ever CG! I was intrigued by Eileen's comments on same and now I see this is a definite must.

Charlestongirl said...

It is, Wwendalynne. Absolutely essential. The Cuivre Ora is gorgeous, but Bronze Ora is more practical. I know which one I'll use up first.

Unknown said...

When my fave makeup artist at Bergdorf used this on me, she did the Cuivre Ora all over, then added some of the pinky highlight shade in the Rue de Passy 6-color compact in the inner corners, and the right-most taupey shade from the Bois de Rose 4-color quad in the creases. She blended it all together with her amazingly skilled hand, lined my eyes with a black powder, and did the waterlines with the new Kohl Me Kajal. It was absolutely magical...if only I could completely recreate it on my own :)

CGirl said...

I also was intrigued by Eileen's comments. I'm so glad you swatched it! It pushed me over the edge. I must get it. I think it will bring out my green eyes.

Charlestongirl said...

Ellen, you can do it! Stand in front of a mirror and play until you get it right. Just remember, as you said, blend, blend, blend.

Charlestongirl said...

CGirl,

That Eileen is quite an enabler. She did push me over the edge on the primer.

Mateja Novak said...

Love that eyeshadow!

Eileen said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

I'm so pleased you found this beautiful and dimensional taupe as flattering as I did. Because of the subtle iridescence, I think this one will make many different eye colors pop. It's a beauty to be sure.

wendy said...

hi!! well, i've practically "disected" every part of chanel, dior's, and guerlain's summer collections. everyone requires "tweaking". this means, for example, for dior's i would have to use another pallette, for chanel's only moon river would do. as for guerlain, there really was nothing! thankgoodness i have a nice sales associate at guerlain who is very truthful to me. i'm so pale everything is just too orange or too dark or just for evening. i'm really looking for a pretty daylook. i just don't justify spending lots of $$$ to use something so lightly that you barely use it. someone commented above that a sales associate used 2 or 3 different quads to blend the colors and make a workable look. i guess it's how you see things but, i just don't like that or really afford to do that. i'm running out of options as i live in a smaller city and we don't have le metier, tom ford, etc. i'm also "reacting" to these glittery eyes. my eyelids are dry and itchy and dior left my lips dry and peeling. i guess i'm just dissappointed with these collections. oh my, i hope i don't have any "makeupituses"!!! i really loved guerlain's last year! it just does not feel summer to me (yes, i know it's spring still) do you know what i mean?? it's very odd that i'm not totally obsessed with a collection....that i just have to have it!! well, happy week to all!! xxxxxxxxx wendy. p.s. i'm also trying to find a good sunscreen this year. dear, charleston girl, the brand that you suggested for combination skin is (of course) not avaiable and i would have to order it. not sure which formulation, as they have many. p.s.s. pardon any typos.

wendy said...

oh!!!! p.s.s.s.!!! eileen!! what did marcus monswoon suggest for you?!! my eyes have been tired lately did i miss your post?? xoxo.

Eileen said...

Hi Wendy,

I gave a run down on the Friday Forum of what proved to be a wonderful and fun session with Marcus.

You sound so discouraged in your above comment and I want you to know that it's really not necessary to use multiple quads in order to make a product "workable". MA's love mixing and matching because they have access to so much (and can sell more that way ;-) ), but it doesn't mean you have to follow suit. Less can certainly be more if its the right product for you. For example, at my Guerlain session this past week, Marcus only used one eyeshadow on me. One! That was Bronze Ora. I'm the gal who typically uses three or four shades on my eyes so what he was able to do with one shadow, skilled blending, and some liner absolutely amazed me. In fact I joked with him that he wasn't going to sell very much if he only needed one product to produce such a beautiful eye look :-)

Some of us are makeup junkies and have extensive collections. We love trying the latest products and mixing and matching what we have with new items. Obviously, that approach is not going to suit everyone nor is it necessary. Most women like things pretty easy and straight forward.

As for keeping up with the collections, sometimes a collection will work for you; other times it will leave you cold. That's to be expected because nothing is going to please everyone all the time. I think I can speak for many readers when I say on more than one occasion, I let a collection pass by because it didn't suit me or appeal to me. Rather than lamenting the summer collections, just get a basic set of neutrals and coast awhile. Perhaps fall collections will be more to your liking.

Julie said...

OMG!!! I wanna try this out. Love the shade for I find it really perfect for summer.

Claire said...

Loose powder shadow w/ applicator like this tend to be hit/miss for me, particularly in blending. I really would love to be able to use my brush, but you mentioned that the applicator seems to be good enough to blend. I'll have to play with this next time at Guerlain counter. The color is beautiful, though!

AZ said...

This looks gorgeous... definitely have to give it a try. Moon river did not agree with my eyes unfortunately. For some reason they were watering like crazy.

To Wendy: I don't think its necessarily a bad thing that nothing from the summer collections caught your eye. There are always new products coming out every season anyway. As for sunscreen, Chanel reformulated theirs and I quite like the new ones. Check those out if you get a chance.

Unknown said...

Claire - the MUA who did my makeup actually used a brush to take the color off the sponge applicator, so that's definitely a way to do it!

Eileen said...

Hi Claire,

Guerlain National MA, Marcus Monson, used a brush when he applied this on me the same as Ellen's MA. You can easily achieve anything from a very sheer wash of color to a full on metallic gleam by using a brush. Just stroke the brush over the applicator and you're good to go :-)

Christina said...

This shadow look like a perfect shade and what an easy way to apply it on.

Lynn said...

Great eyeshadow for the Fall, too although I am not so much into brown shades. I think I will try it!