Friday, May 17, 2013

Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelée in Poppy Paradise

I was hesitant, while shopping online at Sephora, when I saw the color of Josie Maran's Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelée ($22) in Poppy Paradise. It looked orange, but was described as a cool-toned pink. When It arrived, I opened a pot of bright orange and went to check my order. I had ordered Poppy Paradise, and that's what arrived. So, I hesitantly swatched, and found a beautiful, light pink. Pfew!

This innovative coconut water-infused cheek gelée offers 14 hours of wear and hydration. This cheek color is a buildable, blendable blush hybrid that provides the natural look of a cream blush with the long-lasting hydrating color of a gel stain. Underline stain.

Infused with 50 percent-pure coconut water, it instantly hydrates while nourishing with the powerful benefits of vitamin E-rich argan oil. Like a refreshing sip of coconut water for your skin, this moisture-packed blush instantly drenches the cheeks in a cool veil of color.

It's definitely a stain. After swatching it with my fingers, I had a pink fingertip and had difficulty removing the color from my arm. Those who find that cream blush melts on their faces will love this product.

I took swatch photos in full, mid-day sun, using my finger to apply the blush. It applied easily, and the color was easy to build. It doesn't dry terribly quickly, so I had plenty of time to apply it - to my arm and my face - before it set into color that won't budge.

The pink is a beautiful color for my complexion. Just as advertised, it's cool in color - but it's not blue-cool. I think it's very flattering. You can also see that it's semi-sheer, so when you wear it, it won't look like makeup, just a more blushing you. Don't want pink? There are six shades available.

Josie Maran said, “Living on the beach in Oahu, I became a devotée of coconut water - and noticed that drinking lots of it seemed to make my skin and hair glow. I created Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelée to bring that hydrating color to my face, and yours. Have a sip of coconut water for your face with this blush that's cool to the touch.”

Josie Maran, a former model, has designed a line that features pure, natural cosmetics in a luxurious array of colors and textures. Packing formulas with botanical ingredients, and housing products in recyclable and biodegradable packaging, Josie Maran Cosmetics embraces eco-friendly practices with products made with love - for people, animals, and the planet. She also donates to shelters for abused animals.

You can feel good about buying Josie Maran products. Sephora and Josiemarancosmetics.com are the exclusive retailers for Maran's products.

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

15 comments:

Christina said...

Oh, thanks for posting this! I was just about to place my order for it online, but was hesitant due to the shocking bright orange color shown in the picture. It definitely is a cooler pink, and maybe a bit deeper than I thought it would be.

Now I'm curious about all the other colors and might just have to add them to my cart. :D

Charlestongirl said...

I know, Christina! I could not choose a shade. When it looked so orange online, I figured it was just a bad photo. However, it looks orange in person until you apply it. Go figure.

Charlestongirl said...

Oh, and I did swatch heavily. You don't have to apply it this heavily.

Claire said...

I wonder if we can even use this on the lips. It looks great! Reminds me of Becca Beach Tint somewhat.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Claire, I don't see why not. I would. Here are the ingredients.

Coconut Water: Cools and rehydrates skin, providing essential electrolyte replenishment.
-Argan Oil: Nourishes and hydrates skin.

Water**, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Juice**, Glycerin, Isopropyl Isostearate**, Cetearyl Alcohol**, Isostearyl Hydroxystearate**, Methyl Gluceth-20**, Glyceryl Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Ceteareth-20**, Butylene Gycol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil*, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA. May Contain: Red 40 (CI 16035), Red 27 (CI 45410), Yellow 6 (CI 15985), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 33 (CI 17200), Blue 1 (CI 42090).

*Organic.
**Natural.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I've had my eye on these ever since Josie Maran debuted them. Thanks for the swatch. That makes it easier to decide that I love it already. And is there a teensy bit of luminescence to these? Or previous swatches beneath?!? ;-)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi MamaVal,

I started with a clean arm. There is a teeny tiny bit of luminescence to it, but not much. Most of what you see is sun reflection.

Unknown said...

I was just looking at this at Sephora today - I've heard amazing things about it, and I'm desperate for a stain that STAYS on my cheeks!

lovethescents said...

Oh I'm so intrigued. I ADORE coconut water, coconut cream, etc, etc, and this sounds perfect. Love the colour, but I am a tad nervous about how staining it is....even though you wrote that it doesn't dry quickly, one little mistake might make me look weird all day! Oh but coconut!

Alanne said...

Thanks for showing this. I've been sneaking peeks at this online (closest Sephora is a few hours away). Now I have a dilemma - my next blush purchase was going to be the matte sweet apple powder stain by IT Cosmetics but maybe I should give this a try instead. But pink escape maybe.

ame said...

I get her stuff on QVC a lot too, they do a lot of special sets there.

Clarisse said...

Hi Charlestongirl!
This cheek gelée is gorgeous! a true dream...I love the way it is sheer but lasts and the fact it is packed with good ingredients:-)

wendy said...

hi!! this sounds very interesting!! her other creme blush (i forget the particular name)had a beautiful color for fair skin. i believe the shade was called sunset. anyway, i really had a tough time blending this. do you suggest using a brush for application? and, have you tried any of her other products? i'm curious about her eyeshadow pallettes. thankyxxxxxxxx wendy.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

The blending/staining part is the only thing I worry about. What do you say, CG??

Anonymous said...

Can u use on oily skin?