Thursday, December 23, 2010

Chanel Ombres Perlées de Chanel for Spring 2011

Chanel's Spring 2011 Collection Les Perles de Chanel Palette Yeux is a stunner. Earlier this week, I received the pieces I had purchased online. On Tuesday, I went over to Saks and picked up the pieces I had purchased over the phone. I bought six items - the first Chanel collection in a long time that has inspired me to purchase deeply into the look.

Over the next few days, I will be showing you the items that sang to me. Today I'll feature Ombres Perlées de Chanel ($65), a limited-edition eye shadow palette that has an unusual powder texture - creamy, almost spongy in the pan.

The palette offers five luminous shades that flatter the eyes a bit differently in every light. The ultra-refined powder formula, with the luster of fine pearls, is presented in five shades: Blanc Perle, Rose Porcelaine, Violine Clair, Gris Vert, and Gris Noir. All leave a beautiful sheen on the eyelids, a sheen that clings. There's no fallout, no micro-glitter, no artificial powder look to these, features that have turned some off to Chanel eye shadows. The texture of Ombres Perlées de Chanel is exquisite.

The magic of this palette comes from its success in mimicking the luster of pearls. Each shade is characterized by the reflective quality or brilliance of the nacre on the pearl's surface. The more lustrous the pearl, the more it shines and reflects light. The more heavily you apply these shadows, the more lustrous they become. The palette is a perfect tribute to Coco Chanel, whose love of pearls is legendary.

Blanc Perle is vanilla-toned, and Rose Porcelaine is a pigmented peach on my skin. The other three shades are smoky. What I like about them is the ease with which I can modulate the intensity of each. I layered them fairly heavily on my arm, using a sponge-tipped applicator. On the first pass, the color is a shadow - exactly what "eye shadow" should be. As I build the color, the personality of each shade appears. This is probably the best photo of the shades I got during the brief snatch of sun we enjoyed yesterday. The shades, shown top to bottom as they are listed above, span a color range that give this palette a flexibility that many don't offer.

My absolute, without-a-doubt favorite shade is Gris Vert - one of the prettiest smoky greens I have seen in a long time. Gris Vert, with the characteristic pearl tones, has the look of a green pearl, rare in nature, expensive in jewelery, but oh so pretty against the skin. I have green pearl earrings I adore. It's a classy shade.

Violine Clair, a smoky violet, is best used on my skin with a light hand, but that's my lavender aversion speaking. It has the same luster that Gris Vert offers - luminously pretty. Gris Noir is more traditional, but sophisticated, a charcoal or gunmetal grey with just a hint of taupe on my skin. In a different light, it might reflect green or blue. It's a complex shade, one that I suspect will adopt the tone of the shadows it's near. I'll know more after I have more time with it. While I may not use Gris Noir to the bottom of the pan, like some of the other shades, it's a stunner on the lids - and a perfect eyeliner.

The shades blend beautifully, so the custom shades you can create for your smoky eye are limitless. Even though I don't think of these shades as "spring," spring in the world of beauty introductions isn't spring anymore. It's winter, the perfect time for a smoky eye. By spring, cosmetics companies will have introduced their summer collections, for a lighter look to wear as your mood and attire lighten.

I've read universally flattering reviews of Ombres Perlées de Chanel (my friends Sabrina at The Beauty Look Book and Amy at Café Makeup have both reviewed it). We're all impressed! That means you should look for it - see if you can resist. You can use the shades with a light hand for day, but you'll find the palette most useful for creating a glamorous evening look. Make sure to wear pearls.

You can purchase Ombres Perlées de Chanel at Chanel's own Web site and Chanel counters everywhere.

Photos at top courtesy of Chanel

8 comments:

Eileen said...

This is a wonderfully descriptive review of what I think has become the unquestionable star of Chanel's new collection. Originally, I ordered the quad (gorgeous spring colors), the blush (gentle, sun-kissed peach) and Black Pearl nail polish (wow!). But, after seeing Sabrina's post, I knew that I had to order the palette as well. Then along came Amy's sumptuous pictures and your detailed review so now I'm all but hopping in anticipation of receiving Les Perles.

I think you're right about that green being a major player in this palette. Chanel has been producing some unusual and striking greens in the last year and this one appears to be no exception. It is, indeed, an extraordinary and sophisticated color that I think will work beautifully with the lush black. I have an excellent monitor so, in Amy's pictures, I could actually see the subtle glints of blue and green gleaming beneath the silvery black surface--just like my real pearls. I can hardly wait to put the two together.

By the way, for anyone who hasn't visited Café Makeup today, Amy has taken some great pictures of the lovely Liz wearing Les Perles. She's gorgeous!

Unknown said...

beautiful swatched- I especially love the rose and lavender shades... I should not be tempted by any of the spring collections :)

Anonymous said...

For the much money I rarely buy sight unseen (no the internet doesn't count!) but I I completely bought into the line. Both eye palettes, the face powder and the corally lipstick. It's so amazing in person I want to go back and get the eye liner and one of the glosses.

sparklehead said...

I can't wait for this one! When I first saw the promo pictures I gasped because it was so pretty and my boyfriend was like "what!? what?!" He looked pretty let down when it was just me looking at make-up again haha.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen, Merry Christmas! I plan to post my impressions of the quad in the morning. I don't love it as much as this palette. It's nice, but not spectacular. I also bought Black Pearl after seeing Sabrina's post. Haven't tried it yet - am breaking nails one by one as I recycle stuff to get it out of my house.

Isn't that green the cat's meow? I haven't been blog trolling yet today, but I'm headed off soon. Will check out Liz wearing Les Perles!

Cheers!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Gobeauty and Sparklehead!

The photos hooked me. As I mentioned, I did two rounds of buying. The lip colors are awesome. Very nice collection! You won't be sorry to have spent money on it. :)

Stephanie said...

ok I REALLY wish I did not read this.. LOL! Now I just have to splurge and get this baby. I've never paid more than $50 for a palette so this will be interesting... I did already pick up the black pearl polish from the boutique and I love it. I was already planning on the 1 maybe 2 lipsticks and now this? oh my gosh hehe. guess who'll start off the new year poor?!

Charlestongirl said...

Stephanie, think of this palette as your elegant baptism with the waters of Chanel. Pristine, sparking, and with magical powers to help you find the money by eating out less, thereby looking svelte at the same time your eyes are stunning!

You've already drunk from the magical waters - isn't that polish a beauty?

I do need to remind you that once you experience true luxury in makeup, you seldom go back. Just select wisely, and you'll feel the satisfaction that comes from wearing the very best. It makes you feel exuberant. It's not just Chanel - a handful of brands will give you the same glow - inside and out.