Friday, December 10, 2010

Winners of WWD's 2010 Beauty Biz Awards

This year's winners of the prestigious WWD Beauty Biz Awards were announced, and, as usual, it's a diverse and thoughtfully selected list of honorees. Here's the list, along with a few random, personal observations. I couldn't resist!

Newcomer of the Year: Michelle Phan (the professional makeup artist, spokesperson for Lancôme, and You Tube video making queen) - there's no question that she has garnered quite an audience, particularly with the young, "artsy" set.

Breakthrough Product of the Year in Prestige
Thierry Mugler Womanity (fragrance)
L’Oréal Professionnel INOA (hair care)
Clinique Repairwear Laser Focus Wrinkle & UV Damage Corrector (skin care) - nice choice!
Chanel Rouge Coco Hydrating Créme Lip Color (makeup) - I like this, but I can't tell you that the full-coverage lipstick is my fave.

Breakthrough Product of the Year in Mass Markets
Johnson and Johnson Bioelectricity Technology (skin care)
Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Eraser Treatment Makeup (makeup) - I need to test this one.
Garnier Fructis Style Sleek and Shine Blow Dry Perfector (hair care)

Most Innovative Marketer of the Year in Prestige
Carol’s Daughter for My Life by Mary J. Blige (company)
Pamela Baxter of LVMH Perfumes and Cosmetics (person) - much deserved award!

Most Innovative Marketer of the Year in Mass Markets
P&G Beauty/Her (company)
Claudia Poccia of mark (person)

Most Innovative Ad Campaign in Prestige
Strivectin - isn't the latest crow's feet ad hilarious?

Most Innovative Ad Campaign in Mass Markets
Old Spice

Retailers of the Year
Macy’s (department store) - don't get this one, not to knock Macy's. Maybe the stores in my area aren't cutting edge. We sure don't have "Impulse Beauty."
Target (mass)
Topshop (specialty)

Best Executed Launch Strategy in Prestige

Estée Lauder Blue Dahlia collection (makeup) - the launch was brilliant!
Kiehl’s Cross-Terrain collection (skin)
Bumble and bumble partnership with Sephora (hair)
Coty Prestige for Bang by Marc Jacobs (fragrance)

Best Executed Launch Strategy in Mass Markets
Revlon (makeup)
L’Oréal Paris Go 360° Clean (skin)
Pantene (hair)
Jordin Sparks Because of You by Apra (fragrance)

What do you think? Did you rave about any of these products or campaigns this year?

List and photo courtesy of WWD - you really need a subscription

2 comments:

Miss Brahms said...

Interestingly enough, the only product that I agree with on this list, which I usually love, is the Clinique RepairWear Laser Focus!! I have sensitive skin with UV damage thanks to many trips to Myrtle Beach when I was a child...and this amazing serum has really helped my skin tone and texture. It has vitamin C (ascorbyl glucoside) and yeast extract in it, both great for texture and brightening, and it doesn't sting my skin like other corrective serums. For the low, low, price point of $44, you cannot find a better value.
Unhappily, I disagree with pretty much every other choice, except the Old Spice advertisment - and I preferred Bruce Campbell to the current actor! I need to join CEW so I can vote next year!!!

Charlestongirl said...

Well, m'dear, joining CEW won't help, given that this is a WWD list! :)