Friday, December 17, 2010

The Friday Forum - December 17

This beautiful photo from the Sibley Nature Center in Texas shows you what it looked like here yesterday. Two inches of snow - nothing like any of last year's blockbuster snows - was pretty, I'll admit. It was also an annoyance, since I wasn't able to get out to Costco to get peanuts for my birds, squirrels, and foxes. Did you know that foxes love peanuts? Crazy, isn't it? They will pass up Purina One and make a beeline for the unsalted peanuts.

This has been a difficult week for taking photos. Cloudy, overcast, and dark - except for the one day I was able to get photos at a window in my office - it has been a gloomy run-up to Christmas week. Snow was not what the retailers wanted to see yesterday.

I took yesterday and today off from work so that I could get many of my pre-op appointments out of the way. I've got a phone interview this morning with the hospital surgery nurse, then I'll continue "the grand house purge," carrying out to the recycling bins all the magazines I've been saving that I never had time to read, flattened cardboard boxes in which I had been storing beauty products (getting better organized in the process), and assorted other things that the county will cart off today, trash day. I'm hoping that in the midst of all that activity, the sun will make an appearance, and I can get some swatch photos. You wouldn't believe the pretty things I re-discovered as I cleaned over the last week!

I will have Christmas wishes for you next week, of course, but I know that many of you will start to travel or prepare for your holidays early. If you are one of those I might not "see" right before Christmas, I want you to know how grateful I've been for for your friendship and support this year. From sweet comments in contest entries and blog features to my regular pen pals, you have made this labor of love, Best Thing in Beauty, more fulfilling than I had ever expected. I will savor that best-ever Christmas present next week - my readers.

I hope you enjoy the holidays with your favorite people - and pets. What cat person doesn't remember the day kitty climbed the Christmas tree? What dog person hasn't got a special memory of their buddy's first Christmas with the family - or first snowfall? Christmas to me is as much a celebration of our memories and traditions as it is about the "here and now." I can still "see" George (orange tabby of my youth) the day he decided to become part of the Nativity scene I had carefully created. There he was, nestled among the shepherds and their sheep, the three wise men in disarray, with his head in the manger with Joseph, Mary, and their precious newborn baby. Our baby had to be part of the action.

It's time for The Friday Forum. We use the forum to share information and chat. Did you find any deals you couldn't resist this week? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By Monday, most readers have moved on.

We have busy weekends and slow ones on the forum. I'm always happy if even one reader stops by. Leave a comment, and say hello - even if you don't want to comment on beauty products. Tell us your own Christmas stores!

Given how much we all have to do this weekend, I'll skip a week of posting good beauty deals in the comments. I'm sure the temptations have flooded your own inboxes.

Thanks for reading Best Things in Beauty! Got anything you want to talk about?

Photo courtesy of Sibley Nature Center

11 comments:

Frances said...

What are your thoughts on the Chanel Spring collection?
I bought a few items today, but I need to go check it out at my Chanel counter

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Frances!

I bought (sight unseen) the two palettes and the blush. I would love to see the lip colors before I pull out my AmEx card. What did you get?

Sabrina at The Beauty Look Book received hers. Check our her blog.

Eileen said...

There is a gentle Southern California rain falling this morning and so, when I opened the back door bright and early, the huskies bounded in for lots of exuberant and wet husky love. This kind of weather certainly makes them frisky. With those thick double coats of theirs, they are impervious to the wet or cold. I love watching them racing around the back yard, taking turns being "it", delighting in the sheer joy of being alive. Seeing such uncomplicated, unadulterated joie de vivre gladdens my heart.

After the pack was loved, fed, loved again; then sent out to play, I turned my attention to whipping up a batch of chocolate chip scones and brewing a pot of hazelnut coffee. When my husband came downstairs, he said the kitchen smelled like heaven. Perfectly content, I thought the morning couldn't be more pleasant until I sat down for my morning reads and opened Sabrina's post. She has the new Chanel collection and it's even more beautiful than I had anticipated.

Sabrina has a drool worthy picture of all the goodies she got and then a review with swatches of the nail polish collection. And, the best news of all is that Chanel has returned to the coveted soft, smooth, luxurious formula that has been a hallmark of the US products. As beautiful as the previous two collections have been, I don't think the European baked formula for the Joues Contrasts or the Tentation Cuivrée palette was very popular in the US. Many women were complaining about the dusty mess and the fall out. So, Chanel's return to the US formula is good news, indeed.

I love the soft, multi-hued pearl glow that is the theme of this new collection. And, as much as I love all the glitter and glitz of the holiday collections, I know I'll be good and
ready for a little less sparkle and a lot more glow come spring.

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, I didn't order from Chanel until yesterday, so I was smitten with Sabrina's photos! I can't wait for my new stuff to arrive. Chanel told me it shipped yesterday, but I doubt I'll see it before Tuesday. Can't wait!

There is a husky I see on my way to work. Earlier this week, when his mixed-breed buddy (I've named the dog Bandit because of the black furry mask over his eyes) was hunkered down from the cold, I assume, the husky was sitting near his fence having a blast in the cold. Those dogs may be the only ones who adore this weather. Husky Boy, as I call him when I drive by, looked quite regal.

Chocolate chip scones and hazelnut anything? Could you move east please? I forgot to eat breakfast because I was so fixated on cleaning, and when I finally grabbed a bite at lunch, it was leftover pizza. Reading your comment made me hungry!

Unknown said...

Charlestongirl- glad you had fun at home despite the snow! I ordered the 5 eye shadow palette, the 3 polishes, and one of the lipsticks. They'll be waiting for me at my mother's house in Texas next week - I can't wait to see them! Will I be sorry that I didn't order the quad? Will be available in the stores?

Charlestongirl said...

Ava, yes! Loyd Cassler called me. Saks at Chevy Chase got the collection in store today.

Frances said...

i loved Sabrina's pictures! I bought the nail polish and blush, but am waiting to swatch lip colors at my local counter. Will also pick up the quad and eyeliner. I am also looking forward to Guerlain's spring collection.

Charlestongirl said...

Me too! It looks gorgeous. Supposed to be in stores in January. :)

Eileen said...

Hi Frances,

You are so lucky to already have your Chanel goodies. I won't be getting mine until Tueday and, now that I've seen Sabrina's pictures, I can hardly wait. I ordered the quad, blush, and Black Pearl nail polish.

I'm also really looking forward to Guerlain's spring collection. The blush and the Écran 6 Couleurs are both on my must have list. Thanks to the beautiful, colorful, and elegant collections from Chanel, Guerlain, and Armani, spring is going to be glorious.

Unknown said...

i am loving all the beautiful swatches for the Chanel collection, no matter how much I am trying to convince myself I do not need any more make-up :)

Well, amidst all the Xmas shopping I managed to buy a little gift to myself- Urban Decay Primer Potion. I was supposed to get it this week with the 2-day UPS shipping but turns out Sephora's 2-day is more like one-week.... I am really hoping that the primer lives up to the reviews. I have super oily eyelids and buying any more eyeshadows is pointless, unless I get them to stay on for longer than half an hour.

Anyone has any experience to share as far as UD primer goes?

Charlestongirl said...

Ava, Neiman Marcus Tysons has all the testers, but no product. I tried to buy Black Pearl! I'm supposed to be on a waiting list, so if I get it from Loyd, I can probably sell it on eBay! LOL.