Sunday, December 26, 2010

Chanel Spring 2011 Collection Joues Contraste Powder Blush in Espiègle

I ordered the new Chanel Joues Contraste Powder Blush in 65 Espiègle ($42) online, where I found the photo at left. The shade appeared to be a peachy pink. When it arrived, I thought for a second that I had received the wrong blush. I hadn't. Espiègle is very peach. It's a beautiful color, just not what I expected.

Take a look at my photo to below right. This is a true representation of the color of Espiègle. I took my photo in bright sunlight. The color is a light peach, very warm, and to my eye, it has a hint of gold. I don't see the pink, and it's not marbled, as the Chanel photo appeared.

Chanel's powder blusher does have a lot going for it. Espiègle offers buildable coverage with its silky texture, and imparts a flattering radiance to cheeks. This one is not shimmery - rather it glows. The remarkably silky texture ensures an easy, light application and blending. Espiègle is very sheer, allowing you to apply just a wash of color to coordinate with the sultry eyes you'll create with Ombres Perlées de Chanel. It works with the Spring 2011 collection.

My swatch photo was taken in full sun. You can see that the shade on my skin is just a peach as it appears in the compact. The sunshine makes it look sparkly, but it's not. It's a pretty shade. Is it unique? No - unfortunately not. If you love peach blush, you will want it. If you have 20 peach blushers, you might want to take a look at Espiègle at the counter before you purchase. Had I done so, I think I would have passed.

How can I suggest you pass on a beautiful blush? Easy! If you plan to spend your hard-earned money on Chanel for Spring 2011, buy one of the eye shadow compacts, a lip color (still to be reviewed here), or Le Vernis in Black Pearl - the stars of the collection.

You can purchase Ombres Perlées de Chanel at Chanel's own Web site and Chanel counters everywhere.

Photo at top courtesy of Chanel

6 comments:

Eileen said...

When I received Espiègle, I was happy to see that it was the soft, creamier US formulation rather than the baked European one. Perhaps that's why the promo picture looks so different from the version that we actually have here. I was not in least disappointed, though, by what I received. As soon as I swept the blush on my cheeks, I fell in love with this peachy pink for it's delicate sun-kissed color. On my fair skin with peach undertones, the pink in the blush is very evident; more so than the swatch on your arm.

I think the verdict is just about unanimous on this one. Is it necessary? No. Would it be nice to have? Yes. If someone is in the market for a lovely peach with a hint of pink, Espiègle will fill the bill quite nicely.

Paula said...

My favorite Chanel Blush Shade is the one called "So in Love" or something.... I wear it for evening affairs and it blends beautifully.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

I'm glad that pink comes out for someone! I do appreciate the US formulation - that's what makes it so nice and blendable, I'm sure.

I think you've guessed the promo photo quiz! It makes sense that the photo is the European version. Armani has done that now and then. We get a photo from Europe and find the U.S. product is very different.

When I start clearing out makeup again, I may be inspired to "share" Espiègle with someone whose skin tone will appreciate it more than mine does. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Paula!

Chanel In Love is a member of the peach family too. It has a soft, golden shimmer that's perfect for evening. I think it was introduced about a year ago.

Eileen said...

I smiled about all the sharing you do. I like nothing better than to pass along products that are beautiful, but which don't work for me. My young teenage niece and her friends are usually the recepients. I make sure that everything is cleaned up and sterilized as much as is possible, then I put them into mystery goodie bags. I invite my niece and her BFFs out for lunch and let them "grab" a bag. Then the fun begins as they swatch, ohhh and ahhh, and begin to bargain and trade. One of my friends also donates products to "the cause". Between the two of us, we're definitely contributing to the next generation of make-up junkies :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, I got a kick out of that. Looks like we're the makeup enablers. :)

I spread my lovely cast-offs far and wide, from colleagues at work to other friends. I took a huge shopping bag of samples (and full-sized products - all unused) to a teambuilding event. That was quite a hit.

I'll be your niece is always happy to see Aunt Eileen!