Sunday, December 12, 2010

Clarins Barocco 2010 Holiday Eye Colour Trio

When the Clarins Eye Colour Trio ($40) was first advertised with the Barocco Collection for Holiday 2010, I knew I had to have it. No matter how many neutral eye shadows I have, there are always "new kids on the block," and I'm a neutrals groupie.

I asked Loyd to keep his eyes out for it at Saks, and even weeks later, it hadn't arrived in Chevy Chase. So, I ordered it online - sight unseen - as I do frequently with makeup. My faith was rewarded.

The limited-edition palette of three eye shadows is presented in a black rectangular case with a glossy white gold lid that's decorated with the Barocco black scroll. It's snazzy. You won't want to hide it in your bathroom. The case holds a large mirror and double sponge-tipped applicator that will come in handy if you find yourself without an eye shadow brush. The three shades are fabulous - for day or evening.
  • An elegant, black matte to emphasize, line, or intensify
  • A smoky bronze that's described as a duo of black and gold mixed for a smoky bronze effect
  • A radiant pearly gold to give eyes touches of light, whether worn with the rest of the trio or alone
My swatch photo at right was taken in sunlight, but it wasn't extremely bright. I applied each shadow with the applicators that came in the compact. At the top, you can see how soft the matte black appears on the skin. It's extremely wearable - without drama if that's your preference. The bronze and gold shades are incredibly stunning. The bronze is one of the prettiest bronze shades I own. To my eye, and depending on the light, it even has a hint of khaki. The gold is a yellow gold that coordinates perfectly with the bronze.

I have worn the trio with the gold on my lid, the bronze on the outer corner of the lid and crease (in a sideways "V"), and the black as a liner on my top lash line and very lightly smudged on the outer corner under my lower lashes. The effect was "smashing."

I showed you the Barocco Collection in late November. The Face Palette is equally desirable. I will get a swatch photo for you this week if the sun ever comes out again. The Shimmering Gold Powder for Face & Décolleté is very sparkly and festive. If you purchase it, open the black and gold decorative box carefully. Those little gold nuggets give off powder easily. If the gold nuggets have been jostled at all, you'll find yourself covered in powder! Pretty powder, but powder nonetheless.

I highly recommend the Eye Colour Trio, particularly if you want to be a golden goddess for the holidays. See if you can find it at your Clarins counter. If you can't, it's still available at the Clarins Web site.

Photo at top courtesy of Clarins

No comments: