Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Urban Decay 15-Year Anniversary 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil Set

There I was, primed to strike the second the Urban Decay 15-Year Anniversary 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil Set became available, at 1:00 pm ET on November 29! A limited number of sets was available before the January introduction date, and I was determined to get one. I did, but not without some Internet angst. I paid $92, which is an incredible deal, considering that 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils normally cost $17 per pencil.

I suspect there were a lot of people like me who clicked on that set the instant it became available. I had refreshed my screen every few seconds, waiting for it to come up. The instant it did, I clicked to "add and checkout." That's when the site groaned under the weight of enormous traffic. It took 10 minutes to go through the checkout screens, a "terminal" wait for each page to load. I really had to be out the door to get to an appointment on time (I made it). I was very pleased with myself, and I was very pleased when the set arrived! Don't worry, if you weren't one of the Urban Decay groupies who managed to order it in November, it will be available again in January.

Introduced to celebrate Urban Decay's 15-Year Anniversary, the 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil Set has six new shades and nine previously introduced ones. I got a shot of the set at work, which you can see at right. I popped over to a window with nice afternoon direct light to get my photos. The problem is, I didn't want anyone to come along and think I was totally crazy, so I only sampled five of the shades on my arm to show you swatches. As the people on my floor get used to my antics, I may get braver. I still haven't forgotten the day a teen neighbor came over to ask why I was taking picture of my arm. How do you explain this to a boy?

Here are the new shades in the set.
  • Asphyxia (pinky iridescent purple)
  • Corrupt (dark metallic brown with silver sparkle)
  • Midnight Cowboy (beige with gold sparkle)
  • Perversion (blackest carbon black)
  • Stray Dog (shimmery brown taupe)
  • Uzi (gunmetal with grey sparkle)
The rest of the shades - browns, navy blue, bronze, aquamarine, black, and more - are very nice. There are a few purples I'm unlikely to wear, but my friends always love the gifts. Danielle, loved you already, but for donating a kidney to your father today, you'll be the recipient of the shades I give away - and a spot in heaven, I'm sure. You are an amazing person!

Here are five of the shades at right. I think I may have found the window and the best time of day for swatching during the winter. Can you tell I applied them in a hurry? From top to bottom, they are Stray Dog (to-die-for taupe), Stash (one of my all-time favorite green liners (khaki), Mildew (so pretty, I applied it in a thicker line so you could see the color well), Rockstar ( a deep-dark eggplant), and Uzi (shimmering gunmetal grey).

Aren't they gorgeous? I love the velvety soft, water-resistant formula of these 24/7 Glide On-Pencils (I'm not sure they are really waterproof). I always forget how soft they are and smush them when I'm swatching. I will have to sharpen Stash, since I broke off the tip. The sharpener that comes in this set is a wonderful touch. Thank you, Urban Decay!

The 24/7 liner is easy to apply because of its softness. It goes exactly where I want it, and once it dries (about a half-minute after application), it stays put all day. Created with 50% moisturizing ingredients suspended in a sophisticated formula, 24/7 Eye Pencils include jojoba oil, vitamin E, and cottonseed oil among their ingredients. I can apply them on my waterline, and they stay there too.

If you don't want to wait for the Anniversary Set to reappear, hop over to Urban Decay. They have a shade - or five - for you!

Photo at top courtesy of Urban Decay

4 comments:

Leigh said...

"I still haven't forgotten the day a teen neighbor came over to ask why I was taking picture of my arm."


LOL!!! Thanks for the chuckle!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Leigh, now I try to stand off to the side in my yard, where I'm not so conspicuous. :)

Eileen said...

Blessings to Danielle and to her father. Although just a brief mention in your review, such a strong and loving affirmation of life cannot pass without comment. The things we do for love are legend; yet most of the time we go about our lives unaware of the myriad miracles all around us. Thank you for sharing the miracle of Danielle and her father with us. It's a reminder of what it means to have a loving and generous heart.


Regarding the pencils, despite the crazy names, UD creates colors that are extraordinary and transforms them into pencils that are ultra smooth, heavily pigmented, water resistant and long wearing. What's not to love! I also like the little bit of dry time as it gives me the opportunity to smudge. I like colors to be gradient with the stronger intensity along the lash line than fading out onto the lid. UD works like a dream.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Another UD pencil fan - aren't they the cat's meow? Or the husky's snow?

Danielle is a saint. She has been undergoing tests to ensure the transplant would go well for what seems like a year. During that time, her dad had a medical setback, so they had to delay, meaning even more tests. She has never had second thoughts, and she never slowed down as she got ready for the surgery. She certainly does have a generous and loving heart, and her friends and family love her back threefold.