Monday, December 20, 2010

Meet Our Beauty Blogger Roundup Team - Gaia

Every week, I post a Weekend Roundup with exciting features written by our beauty blogging friends. They post the roundup too. Some of them have joined us recently, while others have been with us since the roundup's get-go. We thought it would be a great idea if you got to know each of us a little better to find out what drives the beauty passion we share. This week, we meet Gaia from The Non-Blonde.

When did you start blogging and why?

April 2006. I'd been reading beauty and perfume blogs for about six months at that time, but kept feeling that none of them completely addressed my needs and tastes. I also realized I had quite a bit to say, and finally decided to give this blogging thing a shot, though I wasn't even sure anyone other than my mom would ever read it.

Every blog seems to carry a special voice. What's your special message for your blog?
I write the blog I want to read. I'm interested in luxury products, perfume, the beauty and fashion business in general, and I'm a bit too sarcastic for my own good. But the main thing is that I want to show that talking about beauty (and all that's related to it) is not necessarily the domain of the "mean girls" from high school. Smart and nerdy girls love lipstick, too.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I'm 40, married, and child-free. I have 10 cats (not a typo), love reading, antiquing, old movies, and NYC. I'm also a vegetarian and a sci-fi geek.

What's your daily beauty routine?
I'm a skincare fanatic. Gentle cleansers that prepare the skin for more - serums, creams, hydrating mists. All the things that give makeup a boost from beneath. Then I start with color - usually there's at least one new thing I'm testing at any given time. It's never boring.

How many lipsticks/glosses can be found in your handbag at any given time?
Four or five. The problem is the number of handbags I have in rotation. It makes for interesting times when I'm trying to locate a specific gloss that is an absolute must to complete the look I've envisioned.

What's the best beauty advice you've ever received?

"Never skimp on skincare."-- My mother

How often do you actually go to stores or events to research new products or releases?
Let's just say that Bergdorf Goodman is "where everybody knows my name" (and skin tone and lipstick preferences)...

We should have asked her, "How did you name your blog?" Gaia told me that when she started blogging, all the popular blogs were written by blonds. She needn't have worried that she would be confused with others. Her voice is unique and compelling.

I'm sure you've met Gaia on her blog, The Non-Blonde, but if you haven't, you need to put it on your must-read list. It's on mine!

Photo provided by The Non-Blonde

4 comments:

Eileen said...

This is a wonderful series and am so appreciative of the time you all have taken to help us get better acquainted. The Non-Blond was the first beauty blog I started reading on a regular basis and it's still on my daily must read list. It was through Gaia's Weekly Roundup post that I discovered you, Charlestongirl. Now you're on my daily must read list, too :-)

Charlestongirl said...

That's so nice, Eileen! Thank you.

The Non-Blonde was one of my first must-reads too. I really enjoy Gaia, her writing - and her cats! Reading The Non-Blonde "back in the days" was so refreshing after reading one press release after another other blogs.

We need to thank Kari at Fab over Forty for driving this series to reality. :)

Goya said...

I'm crazy about Gaia's cats too and absolutely jealous! :)

As for Gaia and her blog I've wrote already on "Beauty Look Book" (sorry, I got there first) :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Goya, we can read it there. Sabrina is another daily stop. :)