Monday, October 1, 2012

Bobbi Brown 24K Shimmer Brick

The introduction of a new Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick is always cause for celebration. I was thrilled when I saw the limited-edition 24K Shimmer Brick ($42) at Bobbi Brown's Web site. I ordered two in less time than you just took to read these first two sentences. I always order at least two of every Shimmer Brick. They are my favorites from Bobbi Brown.

Give the gift of gold with our 24 Karat Shimmer Brick, that is. Five bars of pearlescent shimmer highlight the skin for a lit-from-within glow. Each bar also doubles up as an eye shadow.

The multi-use quality of Shimmer Bricks enhances their appeal. Use them on the cheeks, all over the face, on areas you want to highlight, or on your eyes. They will light up your face. You get five shades - or one. You can use the stripes selectively, increasing the number of shades you can use (although I seldom do).


The 24K Shimmer Brick may surprise you - as it did me. I didn't see the high-wattage gold coming until I swatched it. I swatched it two ways: with a sponge-tipped applicator dragged top to bottom in the compact across all five shades (at the top of my arm), and with a kabuki brush that I swirled around all the shades in circular motions (below). I took my photos in full, unfiltered sun, so the color reflects the direct sunlight perfectly.

Look at the gorgeous gold! The Shimmer Brick is radiant on my skin. The shade is almost rose gold. The two pink/rose-toned stripes of color add a rose hue to the gold. The result isn't exactly rose gold (like Bobbi's Rose Gold Shimmer Brick), but it leans pleasantly in that direction.

I applied both swatches heavily, which none of us will do when wearing this Shimmer Brick on our faces. I might use the colors this way on my eyes, but not on my cheeks.

The control is yours when you apply Bobbi Brown's Shimmer Bricks. You can use a light hand and add a subtle glow to your skin, or you can apply the colors heavily for high-wattage results. Used lightly, the shades are office-friendly. Used with a heavier hand, and the shades become your evening go-to.

I like to use Bobbi's Face Blender Brush to apply Shimmer Bricks, but many brushes will work just as well. When I'm using the shades on my eyes, I use an eye shadow brush.

I'm so glad I purchased two of these new 24K Shimmer Bricks. Think I need a third? They have them at Neiman Marcus, so I think it's safe to assume that they are available at all Bobbi Brown counters. I purchased mine online at Bobbi Brown's Web site. If you like Shimmer Bricks as much as I do, make sure to get yours before they sell out.

Photo at top courtesy of Bobbi Brown; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

11 comments:

grlnxdor said...

When I scrolled to see your swatches, Charlestongirl, I saw rose gold, too. With a name like 24K I was sort of dreading that it would lean yellow gold. It's really lovely and deserves consideration. I don't recall if you said if it was LE or not. Hope it's not.

Nemo said...

I like this brick very much. BB was my "learner" makeup. I have moved on, but I still love BB. I would love to know the real BB!

s said...

Stunning! I was not impressed with my Beige shimmer brick that I repurchased last year. Something about the finish and texture were not flattering on my combo/dry skin. How would you say this would compare?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi grlnxdor!

It is LE. That's why I bought two. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Nemo,

BB continues to introduce some spectacular products. Don't give up on her.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi S,

This one is more shimmery than Beige. It's also an entirely different color. Try it in a store, if you can.

Yin said...

I feel like maybe I don't know how to use these, but I haven't been a huge fan of them.... :-\

Lulle said...

Shimmer Bricks are also my favorite product from Bobbi! I always get excited when a new shade is released :D

This one looks pretty, and different from all the ones I own. I need to try it in a store.

ItsthaTOP said...

This is so stunning! I have admired BB's shimmer bricks for quite awhile but I think I'm convinced to give one a try now!

EllenB said...

It is very pretty. I think I would only use it on my eyes; it is a bit too shimmery to use as a highlighter. Thanks for the review!

Unknown said...

oh my gosh, i couldn't wait to see your review!! i saw this in Nordies and knew i wanted it as soon as it popped up for sale! YAY!!