Saturday, October 20, 2012

Dior 5 Couleurs Couture Colour Eyeshadow Palette in Fairy Golds from the Grand Bal Collection for Holiday 2012

Dior introduced the Grand Bal Collection for Holiday 2012 with a fairy tale. “Now that Cinderella’s fairy godmother no longer exists, the couturier must be the magician,” said Christian Dior. From Monsieur Dior’s extravagant parties in Granville, his childhood home (and the name of one of his Collection Privée fragrances, to the Parisian balls of the Roaring Twenties, the couturier was fascinated by the transformative qualities of ball gowns and the fantasy of a fabulous fête.

Now, Dior has introduced a makeup collection inspired by Dior’s love for entertaining, including the limited-edition Grand Bal Carnet de Maquillage Makeup Palette for Glowing Eyes and Lips, four intense new shades of Diorific (Dior’s haute couture lipstick), two shades of Dior Addict Ultra-Gloss, and four new shades of Dior Vernis. There are also two new, limited-edition 5 Couleurs Couture Colour Eyeshadow Palettes ($59).  Today, let's take a look at one of the eye palettes, Fairy Golds.

I think it has an ever-so-slight edge over Night Golds for my affection. That's a tough call, but I think I have to make it. I'd be silly, though, if I told you I could be happy with just one. I am thrilled to have both.

I used a sponge-tipped applicator to apply the Night Golds shades to my arm, working clockwise from the top left and ending with the center shade embossed with CD. I took my photos in bright sunlight.

Fairy Golds shimmers with an intensity that's perfect for the holidays. You can use the shades together for a dramatic party girl look, or you can single out one for a daytime look. I have worn the shimmering pink (second from bottom on my arm) alone on the lower lid) to work, and I've been perfectly comfortable with the look.

The light pink at the top of my arm (top left in the palette) is a gorgeous oyster pink. The gold is luscious. The brown is my kind of brown - cool and a medium tone that doesn't own my look. The darker pink I singled out above looks like a light pink-taupe blend on my eyelids. The white in the center with the CD embossed in the powder is as perfect as it gets. It applies quite well, unlike some Dior whites. All of the shades offer a pretty shimmer. Don't worry if you're my age. It's age-appropriate. Dior offers an ageless elegance.

The two palettes from the Grand Ball Collection are now my favorite Dior palettes. They have displaced their predecessors for my love. That was hard to do.

Dior's Grand Bal Collection has arrived at most of the counters in my area. I purchased mine at Neiman Marcus. If your Dior counters don't have the collection, they should soon. Nordstrom online also has the collection. Check out this link for the eye shadow palettes.

Photo at top courtesy of Nordstrom; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

22 comments:

Tracy said...

Gorgeous swatches! You've convinced me that I need to own these two palettes.

grlnxdor said...

Wow! These shades are really beautiful and I could see myself wearing them. This palette is going on my every growing wish list.

Charlestongirl said...

Tracy, you will love it!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi grlnxdor!

Make sure to check it out before it sells out!

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

I have been coveting EVERY single Dior quint that's come out the last few collections. That rarely happens! This is so beautiful though!

Dlori said...

I'm confused which is normal for me. Is this the Fairy Gold palette? I thought I read you had made a mistake, switching the names accidentally on the 2 Dior Palettes. I love both palettes but I think I prefer this palette because the dark brown seems to have some gold shimmer in it as compared to the other which is a fatter brown. And those taupes, pinks…..are FABULOUS. Both are gorgeous but if I could only have one, I think I'd purchase this one. Which do you prefer?

Marta said...

Covet! The fall palettes are gorgeous and complement you so well. I'll be a pauper this fall, for sure.

Resham said...

this is such a stunning palette.... infact both are amazing! I have such weakness for these colors... have loads of similar colors but cannot let this one go too....thank you for the swatches.

abbygal said...

I have to gush with you over Fairy Golds! I have it and love it!

Unknown said...

I MUST HAVE THIS!

Jenn & Nicole (beautykissxo) said...

I think I can "justify" this palette - I would get a lot of use out of it for sure!

Mila said...

I have been looking for a taupe nude palette and I usually love Dior quads so this could really be it. Very potential. Thank you for the excellent swatches.

Charlestongirl said...

Dlori, I did swap the names of the two in the first feature. I fixed it quickly after Nemo pointed it out. They are both gorgeous. Which one to buy would depend on your coloring.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Beccca,

They are covet-worthy!

Charlestongirl said...

Marta, I am already a pauper. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Resham, going to go after it? :)

Charlestongirl said...

Glad to hear that, Abbygal!

Charlestongirl said...

I think you'd love it, PP.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi beautykissxo!

I guess I go with my "wants," not worrying about justifying anymore. I couldn't justify anything new for years if I factored in need. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Mila, I am not sure I'd call this taupe nude. Did you look at the new Armani Eyes to Kill palettes?

kellinicole86 said...

Just purchased this, my first Dior purchase EVER! So excited to get it. I'm going away for a NYE wedding and think this will be the perfect palette to bring a long for a wedding look. Thanks for pushing me to get this : )

Charlestongirl said...

Good for you, kellinicole86! I hope you enjoy the wedding. You will look very fashionable.