Thursday, October 11, 2012

Guerlain Écrin 4 Couleurs Eye Shadow in Les Ombres Turandot for Holiday 2012

Guerlain's Écrin 4 Couleurs Eye Shadow ($59) in Les Ombres Turandot (#500) from the 2012 Holiday Color Collection appears to be an oddball. According to Guerlain, "This precious quartet showcases a subtle monochrome palette for vibrant and refined eye makeup. The interplay of textures and colors allows you to effortlessly take your look from morning to night. Two matte and two iridescent textures are combined to perfection. Refined down to the slightest detail, the elegant golden case travels in a black suedette pouch with red topstitching."

All true, but the colors looked like they might be hard to wear. Mauve and plum are definitely not my colors, but they look fabulous on some women. Then I swatched Turandot in the store - the day I purchased it - and decided it was pretty. One shade looked muddy on my arm at the store, but store lighting can be deceiving. Once I got the palette home and tried the shades out in real life, real light, and on my eyes, I was delighted with half of Turandot. The other half? I could leave it behind.

I've got it now and will wear the "bookend shades." The two middle shades? Even though they look different in the palette, they are the almost same shade on my arm. Go figure!

I swatched in clockwise order, starting with the gorgeous gold. I used a sponge-tipped applicator and swatched each shade heavily. I took my photos in full sun (woo hoo!).

The gold at the top of my arm is gorgeous. It applies evenly and perfectly, no matter what kind of applicator you use. That's generally true of Guerlain eye shadows. Normally, I use an eye shadow brush.

The presumed pink? It's a matte, rusty, mauve-toned red-brown hybrid. The brown on the right? Shimmering gorgeousness. The mauve-plum shade? It's almost the same matte color on my skin as the "pink." Pictures don't lie - at least when they are undoctored, as mine are. The only significant difference in the two middle shades is that the one at the top is brighter and has more life than the dull shade on the bottom. There is a difference, but it's not a $29.50 difference.

I have not had time to play. I might be able to change the red shades by layering or blending them with another color - but why? I have many eye shadows that look fabulous on my skin, and I'm seldom in the mood for applied chemistry when I get dressed.

It's OK. I will enjoy half the palette. If I had a way to pop out the two red shades, I'd send them to Eileen. She can wear these shades.

The Guerlain Holiday 2012 Collection has arrived at Guerlain counters. See Turnadot for yourself. Let us know what you think.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh! How weird and unfortunate that those two shades look so similar! This was the only holiday palette that I was truly interested in, but I'll have to wait and swatch it in person for sure now.

grlnxdor said...

I think this palette is kinda strange. Those reddish colors are hard for a lot of people to wear. It amazes me sometimes the oddball color combos that these high-end companies come up with. The colors appeal to only a small group or they are so sheer that you can't even get a good color payoff. I'll take my EL Desert Sands anyday. I can actually wear all of the colors in that palette. And I'm so glad that you reviewed it, Charlestongirl!

Nemo said...

Cg, which do you think would work the better on us fair-skinned, blue-eyed blondes: this one or the CHANEL holiday quad you just featured? I kind of like the latter better. Meanwhile, I just received my NEST Midnight Fleur order. WOW! It's too nipply to dab some on and go outside in the garden tonight, but the mood it puts me in will take me anywhere!

Unknown said...

Wow that is odd how similar they look. Boo. :-(

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Tracy, definitely look before you buy.

Charlestongirl said...

:) Thanks, grlnxdor!

Charlestongirl said...

Nemo, Chanel!

Enjoy your NEST!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi PP, totally!

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

That's unfortunate about the 2 similar shades--it seems more similar on your skin tone than in other swatches I've seen online. I thought I NEEDED this, but I just might hold off

Eileen said...

This quad is like a more intense version of Chanel's spring quad, Éclosion. Whereas Éclosion was light, Turandot is smoky. Both are gorgeous and perfect with my coloring. Many of you are familiar with Christine at Temptalia. She did a gorgeous look with Turandot and was so pleased with it that she opted to use Turandot for her wedding makeup. To get a good idea of the coloring to which this quad is ideally suited, take a look at her blog. As for my coloring, I have a light complexion with peach undertones; warm, dark, moss green eyes framed with black lashes and brows, and my hair is a mix of silver and espresso. Whereas Éclosion dominated my spring into summer looks, Turandot is leading the field when it comes to autumn into winter.

Hi Grindox,

I don't think Turandot will only appeal to a small group of people as you seem to think. I've seen some stunning looks done on dark eyed brunettes and none of them looked "odd". Many collections are just better suited to a particular coloring rather than being "universally flattering", that's all. Many a time, I've had to give a lovely palette a miss because it just didn't work for me.

Hi Nemo,

I think everything I've just written answers your question about Turandot's suitability for a fair, blue-eyed blond.

Charlestongirl said...

Becca,

I'm not sure any of us "need" it, but after using it, I can assure you that I didn't. That doesn't mean it's flawed. It's just not the best palette for my coloring.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

I am glad Turandot works for you. Seriously too bad I'd ruin the palette. Otherwise, I would pop out the two reds and send them to you.

I saw Christine modeling Turandot, and I wasn't sold. It was dramatic, but I didn't love the look. I've seen eye looks she created that I thought were way more flattering to her. No matter, if it made her happy, that's all that matters. And, of course, those eye pictures without the rest of the body, from head to toe, can be less flattering than the whole package.

Angela C said...

I have both the Chanel Harmonie Du Soir (bought immediately after seeing CG's swatches) and the Guerlain Turandot. I much prefer the Turandot. Here is a photo; the left is the Chanel Harmonie and the right is Turandot.

~Angela

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8047/8080428613_330b2c9758_z.jpg

makeup magpie said...

Thanks for your very helpful review and swatches. I had a chance to swatch this in store a couple of weeks ago but was left uncertain whether it would work with my coloring, so I chose Chanel's holiday palette instead. I may go back and revisit this one at some point :)