Sunday, October 10, 2010

Le Métier de Beauté MARCHESA Sheer Illumination Brightener

Le Métier de Beauté MARCHESA Sheer Illumination Brightener ($48) is a Touche Éclat-like pen from the debut MARCHESA Collection, a collaboration between Le Métier de Beauté and the designers Georgina Chapman and Keren Craig. Given the choice of the Sheer Illumination Highlighter (golden in tone) or the Sheer Illumination Brightener (pink-based), I chose the Brightener.

The Brightener is intended to make you look refreshed and revived in an instant. Sheer Illumination Brightener’s liquid-to-powder formula lightly conceals while brightening. It reduces redness and diminishes dark circles to revive and refresh your look. The Sheer Illumination Highlighter works instantly to highlight and contour in a sheer, neutral golden shade that should be flattering on every skin tone. It's ideal for mixing with under-eye concealer, enhancing cheekbones, or reviving a tired complexion. Both products are ideal for use any time of day or evening, on bare skin, with powder, and under or over foundation to give you instant luminosity wherever you want it.

The MARCHESA Collection caused quite a splash, in magazines (InStyle, October 2010 issue) and on beauty blogs. I wrote about the other pieces I purchased in September. The Brightener is the last of the items I ordered.

In my arm photo at right, you can barely see the blended shade above the unblended swatch. The photo was taken in full sun. I applied the Brightener with the brush that's part of the pen for the unblended swatch, and I used the pen, but blended the product with my finger in the swatch above. The arrow points to the center of the blended shade. When blended, it matches my skin tone so perfectly that it's hard to see in the photo.

Unlike some of the other pieces in the MARCHESA, Sheer Illumination Brightener is the size you would expect (.08 fl oz) - not tiny. I like its sheer qualities and the pick-me-up it provides. I'm glad I bought it!

I purchased mine from Bergdorf Goodman. The MARCHESA Collection is also available at Neiman Marcus.

Update 10/11: I purchased the golden Highlighter today at Neiman Marcus at Tysons Galleria. I stopped there on my way to a doctor's appointment. Two of my favorite Neiman's gals, the lovely Lisa and my super-SA Kathy helped me. Even got to visit with Dana for a few minutes. Dana manages the beauty department. I wish she would "will me" her job when she retires (of course, that will be long after I do!). Wouldn't it be fun to manage beauty?

Photo at top courtesy of Neiman Marcus

10 comments:

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

My local NM still hasn't gotten this in but I almost ordered it online last week. I just didn't know enough about it. I think you might have put me over the edge now with your review and picture.

Charlestongirl said...

Marcia, if I had had the money, I would have bought the Highlighter too. I was trying to be "conservative" since I spent so much money this fall. Order it!

Anonymous said...

Okay, Charlestongirl - how is this different from Touche Eclat? Because it is dry? I value your opinion and would like to know. I love Le Metier. Or is the brightener equivalent to the Touche?

Charlestongirl said...

Anonymous,

YSL's Touche Éclat #1 is slightly pinker. The Le Métier de Beauté Brightener has the same depth of color, but it has just slightly more "beige" pigment in it. the Brightener also appears to me to be ever-so-slightly less luminous (on my arm).

It's not dry at all - goes on very creamy.

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

Well I caved and got it online today since NM has some gwp going and I wanted the Le Metier one. They don't have the Illuminating one anymore.

Charlestongirl said...

Marcia, which one did you buy? NM at Tysons has the Highlighter. The Brightener hasn't arrived there yet.

Unknown said...

does it provide better coverage than YSL in terms of covering dark circles? I have been looking like a panda lately due to all the school stuff!

Charlestongirl said...

Anna, my personal opinion: no.

Once blended, it's equivalent to Touche Éclat in coverage. I would recommend a corrector with a highligher on top. Bobbi Brown and Armani Beauty both have great correctors.

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

Mine has gold undertones. I'm not sure which it is actually. But it's got a beautiful sheen to it.

Charlestongirl said...

The gold one is the Highlighter. I bought it and need to put up a swatch. Glad you reminded me!