Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Love, Chloé

In July, I gave you the heads-up on Love, Chloé, the latest women’s fragrance from Chloé. Love, Chloé’s scent, created by Givaudan perfumers Louise Turner and Nathalie Cetto-Gracia, has top notes that include orange blossom and pink pepper. The heart of the scent is filled with iris absolute, lilac, hyacinth, wisteria blossom, and heliotropine. At its base are musks, talc, and rice powder. It's a floral scent that has been described as powdery. I perfer the term "soft" for this one.

Roman Coppola directed the television advertisement for Love, Chloé, an inspired choice by Coty, which owns Chloé. It features Raquel Zimmermann striding through a day in Paris. She’s featured in numerous locales, including the Pont Alexandre III. The ad is intended to simultaneously convey a sense of modernity and a vintage character. New and old even meet in the design of the flacon, which was inspired by an old bottle. It has a metal plaque at its base and an old-fashioned chain to keep the cap close to the bottle’s neck.

I read on another blog (can't remember which one) that the lightweight chain that holds the cap to the bottle had broken. The same was true on my bottle, and quality control is the issue. There is a ring to which the chain is attached, and the ring was open on mine. There was no way to keep the chain from slipping off a ring with a wide gap. I have two choices: 1) I can leave it off, which I will probably do, or 2) I can use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to fix it. I don't think I need to solder it. I don't care that much.

When I wrote about Love, Chloé this summer and how bummed I was that other countries were getting it before the U.S., Clarisse, my cherished reader in France, offered to buy it for me and send it. She did buy it, but got to the local post office in France to find that she couldn't ship perfume, a flammable liquid. That's another story, and don't get me going. I sincerely doubt terrorists are planning to ship a few fragrances to blow up an airplane, and those working around the planes are not allowed to smoke. Oh well, there must be something I don't understand or haven't taken the time to learn. Poor Clarisse! After going to all that trouble to buy Love, Chloé for me, she had to go to more trouble to return it.

Now I'll turn back to the fragrance, which is absolutely lovely, despite the bottle malfunction. While it is powdery, I would describe it as a fresh, soft floral with a hint of fruit. The notes. listed above, are a beautiful blend that includes some of my favorite scents. Couldn't you nap under a wisteria arbor? The pink pepper gives it just a slight zip. It does dry down to a fragrance that anyone close to you should find attractive. This is an office-friendly fragrance. I am very pleased with it - unusual since I am often dismissive of "department store fragrances." They are getting much more desirable!

I purchased mine at Saks during Friends & Family. It's my understanding that it's exclusive to Saks - for now at least.

Photo courtesy of Chloé

2 comments:

Eileen said...

Clarrise,

You were so very kind and thoughtful to try to ship the fragrance to Charlestongirl so that she could bring her readers another one of her excellent reviews. Isn't it amazing how the web has made friends of all of us even though we live thousands of miles away from each other?

Because I'm in my sixties, I've been able to witness this wonderful Communication Revolution from it's inception to the wonder that it is now. When I was a very young teen sitting in the library with my girlfriend pouring over fashion in Seventeen magazine, little did I know that one day I'd be using an American invention manufactured in China to use another American invention to stream a French fashion show with German commentary on a Russian blog. Gotta love it!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Yes, Clarisse is a total gem! I love her.

I have discovered so many wonderful people on the Web and through the blog. I feel like all of you are family! My only regret is that some of us will probably never meet. One reader who doesn't check in often anymore calls me her fairy godmother. She has a rare, debilitating disease, and I send her little pick-me-ups now and then to cheer her up. I'd love to be able to give her a hug. She has such courage in the face of an awful disease. I'm not sure I could be as cheerful as she is.

We really have seen it all. I remember the "olden days" when we programmed computers with paper tape (!), had a much slower pace (no one expected it "now" because there was no e-mail, fax, or FedEx), and we didn't know we weren't supposed to fry our skin in the sun. :)

I think things have changed three lifetimes in ours alone. It's hard to imagine how to apply the current pace of change to the next 40 years. I guess that's what our genius 20-somethings are supposed to be figuring out. Hope we'll be around to see it!