Sunday, October 31, 2010

SUPER by Perricone

Dr. Nicholas Perricone's new skin-care line, SUPER, arrived at Sephora weeks ago. I had mentioned it in August when it was introduced by WWD. Now, you can see it and buy it at Sephora.

I've been reading Dr. Perricone's book, Forever Young, and I've started eating a lot more blueberries. I'm also looking for an inexpensive source of watercress, which I've always loved, but can't find in large or reasonably priced bunches. I believe that the so-called super foods can make a difference in our lives, health, and skin, so I'm happy to add them to my diet if I like them. Nothing is going to convert me to salmon, but I'm happy with many other super foods.

Perricone says super foods are the world's (and our skin's) super heroes. Inspired by a passion to feed hungry skin, Dr. Nicholas Perricone created SUPER, a nourishing collection of formulas for your face and body. Infused with phyto-nutrients derived from some of the most powerful super foods and formulated with advanced patented ingredients, SUPER allows your skin to indulge in nature's most nutritional bounty.

SUPER was designed for the 25-35 age group. I'm not its target audience, but I still purchased a piece to give it a whirl. Dr. Perricone has already taken care of my age group with his eponymous line. I love the idea that he has introduced products that will encourage the younger set take good care of their skin - at an affordable price. I think his timing is great, since interest in skin care seems to be at an all-time high. The younger the better!

All of the products feature ingredients with high nutritional value that also benefit the skin. The products count yogurt, açaí berry, melon, chili peppers, watercress, melon, and dark chocolate among their ingredients.

I bought SUPER Lush Lips with Coconut Oil ($20). I love the beachy scent of coconut oil, and there's nothing age-specific about hydrating the lips. This buttery balm melts into your lips for deep hydration. Made with deliciously addictive coconut oil, it's packed with a superior form of vitamin E that keeps lips in a tropical paradise that's sweet, silky, and smooth. I keep mine next to my bed and reach for it every time I start to feel parched. This is one of those hard balms, so you have to dig a bit with a fingernail to extract enough product to make a difference. Once you do, your lips will feel pampered.

Recently, I had the privilege of interviewing Rene Marshall, Mid-Atlantic Account Executive for Dr. Perricone. Rene thinks the SUPER like is ideal for the client who is experimenting for the first time with skin care and wishes to prevent the signs of aging. She said that each of the products adopts the scent of its basic super food(s). I can testify to that! My SUPER Lush Lips jar takes me to the beach.

I asked Rene to name her favorite products from the new line. She mentioned SUPER Lush Lips without any prompting. She also told me she loves SUPER Detox Elixer with Watercress ($30), a spray that works as a hydrator to lock in moisture. It's perfect for travelers of all ages. Since our skin can become dehydrated in an airplane's pressurized air, SUPER Detox Elixer with Watercress can help keep the skin moist during a trip. Rene knows about travel - she's on the go all the time! She also mentioned that it's great for setting makeup.

Among her other personal favorites?
  • SUPER 3-Minute Facial with Ginger ($50) - ginger stimulates the skin and gives you a glow. When you put on makeup after using it, your face will glow.
  • SUPER Hand & Cuticle Cream with Yogurt ($30) is water-resistant. Rene said you don't have to keep applying it. Yogurt is loaded with probiotics, which will keep your skin soft and moist.
  • SUPER Body Toning Serum with Olive ($35), which Rene suggests putting on top of Cold Plasma Body. Not sure I'd use two body moisturizers, but I'm intrigued by the firming nature of this one.
  • SUPER Bright EYED with Melon ($50) is very creamy and will create very moist skin around the eyes. Rene suggested that older gals should use it on top of our Cold Plasma Eye.
Rene told me that SUPER items are so popular they are selling out at Sephora stores. The price point is affordable, and the scents of the products are heavenly. Younger gals are using SUPER for their main skin care regimen, and older Perricone customers are supplementing our heavy-duty treatments with these fun and effective products.

Rene has some events coming up in the DC area. Live around here, and you can meet her! She has two SUPER launches at Sephora: one on November 7 at Pentagon City, and the other on November 21 at Tysons Corner Center (both 11:00 to 6:00). All events will feature free gifts, free mini-facials, and consultations. Naturally, she will be at the Nordstrom Beauty Trends show at Tysons on November 13. Rene will have the "best of the best" Perricone reps with her, so I look forward to seeing them.

If you don't live near DC, ask your favorite Sephora when they will host a SUPER event. The events are a great time to ask the experts and learn more about the line.

Photos courtesy of Sephora

3 comments:

Eileen said...

When you first wrote about this back in August, I commented that it was wonderful that an intelligent approach to skin care for young women was being adopted by Perricone. After all, not every young woman is coping with oily skin and acne; however, they are all coping with environmental and dietary factors which will come back to haunt them in later years if they don't learn to take care of their skin now.

Today's young women are truely fortunate because, in addition to recognizing difference such as oily, dry, acne prone, aging, etc., companies are beginning to recognize the differences within skin types. For exmple, a woman with post-menopause dry skin is going to have much different needs than those of a young "twenty something" with dry skin; a forty year old woman with oily skin and occassional breakouts is going to have different needs than those of a teen with oily skin and acne, etc. Yes, indeed, young women today are truly fortunate that companies are beginning to recognize and accomodate those differences.

In closing, it must be said, though, that all the skin care products, facials, and treatments in the world won't amount to much if the single most important beauty product is not used religiously. And what is that miracle product? SUNSCREEN!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Well said. Ditto! Dr. Perricone agrees, recommending sunscreen for use each and every day.

I wish someone had been around to tell me that when I was in my 20s.

Watercress Woman said...

Great post! I've been using Dr. Perricone's Detox Elixir (with watercress!) and I love it. As for you finding a cheap source of watercress, if you live near a Chinatown, that's always a great place to find it fresh and cheap. Here in NY where I live, most groceries have bunches for $1.50 or bags for $3+. If you can't find it nearby, check out watercress.com. I think they'll be able to point you in the right direction!