Sunday, November 28, 2010

Clarins Barocco 2010 Holiday Colour Collection

I want to share with you my latest online purchase. One of the most recent Clarins collections sold out quickly - at least at the department stores - so this time, I'm giving you fair warning. If you want anything from the limited-edition Barocco Holiday Collection, shop quickly. When my pieces arrive, I will share swatches with you.

Barocco, named after the Baroque artistic style prevalent in Europe from the late 16th to the 18th centuries, mixes style with elegance, gold with black, in the decorative packaging and colors of the collection. Clarins says the decoration was inspired by the delicate work of a goldsmith. To me, it was inspired by the artistic trends of an era, defined by elegance and intricacy - not only in gold, but in all things coveted by the era's wealthy.

The Barocco Face Palette ($55) with a baroque pattern inside and out, is an incredibly soft and lightweight compact powder. The elegant case has a black lacquered logo bottom with a glossy gold lid decorated with a black scroll - protected by a red velvet pouch. A harmony of two complementary shades is stamped into the powder with a matching scroll pattern. The beige and a pinky-peach shades look gorgeous.

The Barocco Eye Color Trio ($40) was the first piece in the collection to catch my eye. The palette of three eye shadows is presented in a black rectangular case with a glossy gold lid decorated with a black scroll. The case holds a large mirror and double applicator. Three festive shades will light up your eyes for the holidays, or any time.
  • An elegant, black matte to emphasize and intensify
  • A subtle, captivating duo of black and gold mixed together for an instant smoky bronze effect
  • A radiant pearly gold to give your eyes touches of light
This trio looks ab-fab, and I want it now! I got tired of waiting for it to show up at "my Saks"!

The Shimmering Gold Powder for Face & Décolleté ($35) was a roll of the dice. Described as a powder formed into gold-dusted nuggets, there's no telling how sparkly it may be. It's so pretty, though! Presented in an elegant black cylinder, decorated with a black scroll and embellished with a beautiful tassel, the delicate powder nuggets are nestled in with a poofy black powder puff. Doesn't it look gorgeous?

The only piece of the collection I didn't order - yet - is the Barocco Rouge Prodige Lipstick ($24). Described as a deep purple velvet, it looks dark. I can't assess whether it will work for me until I see it.

Clarins has provided fabulous paint-by-numbers instructions for a festive holiday look. While the instructions may be hard to read here, you'll have no trouble at the Clarins Web site.If you decide to order online, use the code SEM2, and you will receive a set of four deluxe samples - on top of the usual samples to be selected. There's another offer, SEM1, that will give you two deluxe samples and free shipping. I got free shipping with a purchase over $75. Or, look for the Barocco collection at Nordstrom, Saks, Bloomingdale's, or other Clarins counters.

Photos courtesy of Clarins

2 comments:

Clarisse said...

I have not seen the Barocco collection yet (Holiday palettes or Christmas palettes as we call them here are just being launched) but I can tell you the Rouges prodige Lipsticks which were issued this autumn are excellent quality; this Barocco one looks dark, you must try it before deciding ! but don't resist other colors, you'll love them!

Charlestongirl said...

Clarisse, I do want to try it - in person. Those department stores have been REALLY slow to display the new Clarins makeup. I will look at Saks this week. Thanks!