Monday, January 17, 2011

Opinion: Golden Globes 2011 Fashion Recap

I watch the Golden Globes primarily to people watch. I don't have any strong opinions on most of the nominees because I have seen so few of their shows. There's always a story, though, on the red carpet, where both men and women make their first appearance for the day, leaving us with reactions - often strong - to the way they have chosen to present themselves. I watch with fascination as I think about the work that went into looks that stun with their elegance and class, but also the work that went into looks that are so clearly hideous I wonder if there is a mirror shortage in Hollywood - or so unflattering, I wonder if they are a purposeful "I couldn't be bothered" statement.

I found this year's red carpet a bit boring, which may be a good thing. Many women (and men) chose safe, conservative, and attractive attire, even if it wasn't eye-catching. I'm sure you've read or seen at least three or four features by "pedigreed" critics, but I still feel compelled to share my reactions to the best and the worst at the Golden Globes - and that's without mentioning anyone's behavior!

Let's start with the best. On a red carpet filled with beautiful women, a few stood out. Anne Hathaway was one of my favorites. She channeled Hollywood glamour, with her long-sleeved, backless amber Giorgio Armani Privé gown and simple flowing hair. Her Van Cleef & Arpels earrings and Roger Vivier minaudiere caught my eye too! I thought she looked gorgeous. Another stunner in brown was Olivia Wilde in sparkling MARCHESA. Her simple straight hair was a perfect contrast to the wide-berth gown that almost wore her.

Let's face it, it's hard for pregnant women to dress formally. Natalie Portman showed everyone how to do it. Her pink Victor + Rolf Grecian gown accented with a hand-embroidered Swarovski crystal red rose might have looked tacky on someone else. On her? Magnificent! I liked the matching red lips and shoes too.

The green gowns of the event grabbed me. From the color of the show-stopping Atelier Versace long-sleeved, crystal-encrusted gown by Atelier Versace worn by Angelina Jolie, to the lovey Catherine Zeta-Jones, who epitomized elegance in a strapless, princess-style gown by Monique Lhuillier (shown at the top with her husband, Michael Douglas, who looked pretty darn good himself), from Elisabeth Moss in Donna Karan to Mila Kunis in Vera Wang, the color rocked the night. Each of these women looked beautiful in their gem-toned green hues.

Others who looked gorgeous, in my humble opinion, were Eva Longoria in a black form-fitting Zac Posen number with a beautiful neckline and fishtail (but didn't she look sad?), Glee stars Lea Michele and Dianna Argon, and Helen Mirren. Mirren's Badgley Mischka Couture gown should have been cut about an inch higher, but who was looking at cleavage with those diamonds? Another observation...doesn't she look younger every year?

Among the misses on pretty women? January Jones! Her red cut-out Versace gown with thin "finge" reminded me of car-wash flaps when she walked. I thought the dress was tacky. Nicole Kidman's Prada gown did nothing to flatter her pastel beauty. I would rather have seen her in black if she couldn't wear a bright color. Michelle Williams' daisy print Valentino looked like a shower curtain. Halle Berry proved that she could dress like a hooker and still charm - she's that gorgeous.

Two of the worst looks of the night were wildly different. Helena Bonham Carter's print and tulle Vivienne Westwood gown was eccentric, but with the mismatched red and green shoes, she looked hideous and laughable - particularly as she stood pigeon-toed on the red carpet. Tilda Swinton in a minimalist Jill Sander white and cream shirtwaist dress was beyond boring. She almost disappeared into the background. What's the point?

A final word about Annette Bening. I guess if you are as gorgeous as she is, you can skip the hair, but why? The Tom Ford lace column flattered her ageless figure, but pointy hair and horn-rimmed glasses? Was this a statement that she already caught one of the most eligible men in Hollywood and stopped trying? I thought her look was half-baked.

Photos courtesy of various celebrity sites

9 comments:

LilyBiscuit said...

Beautifully articulated as usual Charlestongirl! I agree with your observations 100%. Thanks for the great read :)

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, LilyBiscuit!

Always dangerous expressing fashion opinions! One person's train wreck is another's masterpiece. :)

Clarisse said...

Hilarious! I cannot but agree with you there ( special mentions to gorgeous Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman and Helen Mirren!)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Clarisse!

Was the show broadcast live in France?

Clarisse said...

No,Charlestongirl it wasn't but we had photos in the newspapers and videos on the internet:-)

Charlestongirl said...

Ahh...just as good! You got to see the best without suffering through three hours of bad jokes and endless acceptance speeches. Very few of the speeches were memorable - with the profound exception of Chris Colfer. Loved him! And Jane Lynch.

What talented people on Glee! A friend gave me the first season on DVD for Christmas, knowing I had missed it. I can't wait to watch it!

MarciaF said...

I agree with you on so much of this. Annette Bening's hair was awful. Helen Mirren was an ageless striking woman. I thought January Jones' dress though was an improvement over her last gown at the Emmy's.
Jane Fonda looked amazing. And it was heartwarming to see how great Michael Douglas looked.
Other than looking at the stars, the show was a waste of time though.

lady jane grey said...

Why do you call Tilda Swinton as Tilda Swanson ???

Charlestongirl said...

LOL - probably a sign of the heavy painkiller drugs I was taking when I wrote the post. Knee surgery is awful!

Thanks. Corrected! Funny that no one noticed before now.