Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dior Rouge Sérum for Spring 2011

Dior's Spring 2011 Look was inspired by Paris and the iconic greys of Avenue Montaigne. Along with those subtle greys came soft delicate pinks and peaches to accent the lips for a delicate touch. Dior introduced new shades of Addict Ultra Gloss and Rouge Dior Lip Color with the look, and I'm anxious to see those in person. I didn't need to see the two new, limited-edition Rouge Sérum ($32) shades in person. I knew that Pink Coral (#240) and Pinky Mauve (#460) would be lust-worthy. The model in the "look photo" is wearing Pinky Mauve, and that photo alone convinced me I needed it.

While phone shopping, I was given a simple choice between gorgeous and gorgeous. That was too hard! "I'll take both" sprang from my lips. I have grown to love Rouge Sérum since its introduction in 2009. I call the tinted lip treatment "lip luxury defined." I love the sheer colors, texture, and slim case (you could apply Rouge Sérum in the dark).

Containing 10 times more active skin-care ingredients than most lipsticks, Dior's Rouge Sérum has an incredibly creamy, rich balm-like texture to moisturize, smooth, and pamper your lips. Enriched with mango butter and other natural ingredients, this treatment is said to boost the lips' microcirculation and collagen levels while enhancing their appearance with luminous color. There's also an SPF 20 to protect your lips from harsh winter or strong summer sun.

The new colors, Pink Coral and Pinky Mauve, are shown at right with Pink Coral at the top. Both colors are tropical brights, but their sheerness tempers the boldness that often characterizes tropical shades. They are extremely wearable and will complement that grey smoky eye you create with one of Dior's new eye palettes - or your everyday look. They are so versatile, they will become go-to shades in my spring makeup wardrobe.

I took my swatch photo inside in full morning sun. Pink Coral is shown closest to my wrist, with Pinky Mauve under it. Both were applied straight from the tube, which has a click feature to extend the lip treatment as you need more.

Now that you've seen the swatches, do you think I could have chosen between them? I am very happy with both and can't wait to start wearing them. One will definitely go in my handbag, and one will stay in my bathroom. Choices...choices!

You can find Dior's Spring 2011 Avenue Montaigne collection at Neiman Marcus. That's where I bought my items. I assume the other department stores - Nordstrom, Saks, Bloomingdale's - have the collection too.

Photo at top courtesy of Nordstrom

10 comments:

Clarisse said...

Though I'm not usually very keen on Dior lipsticks(I prefer Chanel) I understand your point of view and I love them both...I might make an exception and buy Pink Coral and Pink Mauve too:-)))

Charlestongirl said...

This lip color is unlike Dior's others, so you might love it, Clarisse. The sheerness of the shades is so natural. Let us know what you think!

Carrie Meredith said...

I have to say, the combination of a grey eye and these tropical-inspired lip colors is just too chic for words. I've been curious about the Rouge Serum formulation- from your description, it sounds like it would be perfect for my lip-balm hoarding self. I like a gloss that doesn't necessarily act like a gloss (who wants their hair to get stuck on their lips and get coated with goo?). Lately, I've been experimenting with Kaplan MD Lip 20 Gloss, which also boasts itself as an anti-aging treatment, and its plumping, sort of matte but shimmery once it's on, so it looks glossy, but isn't sticky in the least. My only beef (and it's a minor one) is that they don't make one without glitter. The glitter is not the least bit tacky looking and is very flattering, but who doesn't want more options?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Carrie,

You are the perfect candidate for Rouge Sérum. The balm-like feel and glossy, sheer look combine to make this lip treatment a stunner. I love these thin tubes of joy because they make my lips look and feel good. No goo or glitter, just pretty color that's so flattering.

The only criticism I've read is that some don't like the fleeting mango scent. It doesn't bother me at all.

Give one a whirl.

Cheryl said...

I am allergic to chemical sunscreens (anything other than zinc and titanium dioxide). The Dior Rouge Serum sounds perfectly wonderful if it has the right kind of SPF. Would you check and let me know?
Thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

Cheryl, the sunscreen is Octinoxate at 7.5%, the maximum dose per the FDA. Since it's a chemical sunscreen, you probably won't be able to use it.

Unknown said...

now this is a lipstick i can get on board with! i have usually avoided anything more than a lipgloss on my lips- i feel like regular lipsticks dry my lips and make me look clownish. but these look more sheer than a usual lipstick but the color payoff is better than a gloss! hmm, i might consider one for spring :)

Charlestongirl said...

Yep, Anna! This is your lipstick! Let me know what shade you choose.

Unknown said...

i am liking pink coral! i wonder if Sephora will carry these in store too...

Charlestongirl said...

Unfortunately, these two shades are not scheduled to be available at Sephora, Anna.