Saturday, January 29, 2011

Stila Make Me Blush Palette

Stila's new Make Me Blush Palette ($14) is a steal! The multicolored blush, inspired by Valentine's Day conversation hearts (like little candies), has a top layer that was sprayed with gold shine for a pretty visual effect in the palette.

The gold is stunning on the cheeks when mixed with the pink and coral tints in the palette. It's ashamed that the gold is superficial and disappears with a few brush strokes because it adds a complexity to the colors that's amazing. Note to self: Remember to use a gold highlighter over the blush or mixed on my blush brush.

Once the gold is gone, you'll be left with a pressed powder blush that will add warmth; sheer, soft color; allover radiance; and luminosity to your face. It's a beautiful color - love it - but I was so taken with the gold mixed in. I hope Stila can find a way to package that gold for the future.

Make Me Blush is great for all skin tones. The creamy, micro-fine formula is beautifully blendable. It instantly enhances my complexion with its pinky peach color. I couldn't resist showing you two swatches: one with the gold mixed in and one without. My photo at right was taken indoors during a brief snatch of sunshine I was able to grab. At the top, you see a swatch, applied with a sponge-tipped applicator, across all of the shades in the palette, including the gold. Isn't it pretty? Below is a swatch of the blended pink and coral shades. They are luscious. I blended them equally, but I could have worked to get more pink or more peach, had I desired a certain effect.

The Make Me Blush Palette is obviously very popular. At the moment, it's sold out at Stila's Web site, where I purchased mine. However, Sephora has a deal. You can get a Make Me Blush Set for $20. The palette at Sephora doesn't appear to have the little conversations in the gold hearts, but they are just icing on the cake. With the set, you get two Stila Lip Glazes to go with the palette.

Photo at top courtesy of Stila

10 comments:

Mamavalveeta03 said...

How about the shimmer factor on older skin? I don't want to look too shiny!!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Mama Val!

I can wear it, and I'm older than you are. :) I think you'll like it.

After the first few uses, and the gold is gone, it's not terribly shimmery. I think you can see the difference in my photo. I would love the see Stila make the palette with one side gold and the other the pink-coral blend, allowing us to choose whether to shimmer or not!

Dlori said...

I thought these were adorable and purchased 5 of them when they went on sale for $10, I think. I haven't used mine as yet but I think the swatch with the gold is incredibly gorgeous and looks like it would look lovely on all skin tones. Too bad the gold disappears and I hope Stila takes your advice, incorporates the gold into the blush instead of diasppearing immediately, and separates the blush into 2 sections, one side for those preferring a little gold shimmer and the other side without the gold.. Now that would be THE perfect blush.

By the way, you did an excellent job on the swatches, catching the gold shimmer perfectly.

Dlori
kleimanlaw at aol dot com

The Sooj said...

That looks gorgeous! And I agree, that is very very cute. It's too bad about the gilded overlays everyone seems to be doing lately, wouldn't it be so much better if it were actually product that you could use all the way through?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Dlori,

Five? Crazy love! LOL

I need to write to Stila. They need to package that gold. It is soooo pretty. Too bad I missed the $10 price. I might have bought two.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Saint Jean!

Hope these comments find you well in sunny SoCal! I would love it if more comppanies would pour the colors to the bottom. I do appreciate that Stila was perfectly up-front about their gold being sprayed on.

Anonymous said...

Like you, I have and love this blush, and like you, I loved the shimmer of the gold. So (like you) I thought I'd try sweeping a gold highlight over it... only to find that I don't have what I'm looking for. I have tons of metallic-gold creams, but not in powder form (other than NARS Albatross, of course). What were you thinking you'd use on top of the Stila Make Me Blush? You almost sounded as if you had something specific in mind... Thanks in advance for your help!

--Emily

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Emily,

One really nice and nicely priced gold powder highlighter is tarte's new Provocateur Amazonian Clay Shimmering Powder in Champagne.

See what you think at http://bestthingsinbeauty.blogspot.com/2011/02/tarte-provocateur-amazonian-clay.html.

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous! I just ordered mine :D I can't wait for it to come! Even though it's after Vday and all :p They were out stock for awhile. Thanks for your review!

Charlestongirl said...

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I like mine, Rainy Days and Lattes!