Tuesday, November 29, 2011

By Terry Rose De Rose Sheer Liquid Blush

Finally, we have a By Terry counter in the DC area! Bloomingdale's at Tysons Corner Center opened a mini SPACE.NK.apothecary area when they unveiled their expanded beauty department not long ago. While I can't seem to find the latest and greatest there, I have been able to purchase a few intriguing things to try.

Rose De Rose ($54) caught my eye the last time I went in. Part skin care, part color liquid blush, Rose De Rose is rich in natural pigments drawn from rose petals to blend easily into the cheeks and facial contours, leaving the skin feeling smooth and looking radiant.

There are three shades, and I had a dilemma. One is rose pink (Fresh Rose, #1); a second is peach (#2); and a third is a mauvy "amber" (Amber Rose, #3). I wanted the Fresh Rose for bright, cheerful days,and I wanted the Amber Rose for several reasons. Applied lightly, it's a very natural blush on my skin. Applied more heavily, it's a bronzer or contouring shade. So, I bought both - my usual solution for indecision.

I like the pump-top containers. They are convenient for dispensing no more product than you need for a full application. I've been pumping the blush into my palm and applying it with a brush.

To take a few swatch photos, I pumped out a "dab" on my arm, and then I pumped out a second dab, blending (spreading) it with my fingers to show you the color. I didn't blend it in as carefully or thoroughly as I would have on my face. I wanted to get enough color to show you the shades in full sun.

I think these two shades are drop-dead gorgeous, and I'm regretting not buying the third. Look at the gleam from these blushes! Now, imagine the color blended properly on your cheeks, and you'll get a visual picture of glorious, natural, luminous color.

I snapped photos at slightly different angles to the sun so that you could see the effects of light on the shades. When blended, both shades impart a sheer, flattering blush color.

Now, I fear, I'm going to become a By Terry addict. I really want the limited-edition Terribly Or Rose, which I didn't see at Bloomingdale's! There's so much more I want to try. One nice thing about SPACE.NK is the N.dulge (loyalty) program. When you earn 100 points (by spending $100), you get a $5 credit that can be used in store or online. How could I let that free $5 go to waste?

You can purchase By Terry products from SPACE.NK.apothecary online, at By Terry online, or at SPACE.NK counters in the United States. I think it's easier to find in France.

Photo at top courtesy of By Terry; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

18 comments:

Clarisse said...

Lovely aren't they? you would have loved the peach one too but I'm sure the Fresh rose looks stunning on you ( amber is more recommended when you are a little tanned, so I was told when buying my own...)
And don't worry, since you have been a very good girl this last year, I know Santa Klaus has planned to drop the Terribly Or Rose in your stocking...at least his deers told me so:-)

Charlestongirl said...

Clarisse, I was surprised that the Amber looks so good when applied lightly and blended well - and I have NO tan.

I saw some terribly pretty colors online, and I don't understand why our counter doesn't have them. The SA who worked with me knew nothing (I had to find my blushes in the stock for her), but she even said they didn't have the latest foundation. Apparently, there was a By Terry rep there the day before. No one had notified me (the usual for that store since the last beauty manager left).

LuvJ said...

My skin is so parched this winter, more so than the past years.. this seem to be the perfect alternative to powder blushes! I must try!

Isla said...

Ooh, so shiny...

Unknown said...

These look beautiful. I have often been tempted by these and I have a feeling I would enjoy the luminous finish very much. I must find my way to a SpaceNK very soon! :D

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Isla, the colors gleam in normal light. Most of the shine results from the full sun on the swatches. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Modesty Brown!

If you have a full-fleged Space.NK nearby, I'm jealous!

Isla said...

Hehe, I figured as much...I guess I meant Ooh, so pretty! Reminds me of something...I think Clinique has an "Illuminator" or something that's similar, with the same type of bottle.

Unknown said...

My nearest shop is in Henley on Thames. It involves taking all of my family along as I can't drive but it's quite easy to engineer a visit as it's a picturesque town with a nice playground by the river. Everyone's a winner ;)

Leigh said...

This looks like the perfect introduction for me to By Terry! I think I would love a hint of the Amber along my cheekbones. For some reason, I've always had a pink blush phobia.

Charlestongirl said...

Leigh, that shade is really pretty when applied. You can make it sheer or let it pack a little punch. I couldn't leave it there!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Isla,

Yes they did. Not sure if that Clinique lovely is still made, but I liked it!

Charlestongirl said...

MB, what a nice outing for all! :)

Unknown said...

Hi CG- I wish the new Space NK carried the high end Jemma Kidd and Kjaer Weis among other lines, like the other Space NKs do. But I was very pleased to see Rococo nail polish, one of my faves. One of the sales associates, Rebecca, is on top of things and called me about the by Terry event, and about some Rococo colors and nail products that interested me. I'd give her a call if you're still interested in their events. I'm lobbying to get the Rococo founders here! They did manis at the NY and LA Space NKs last year!

Charlestongirl said...

Yeah, Ava, the area they gave it was so small (some of the brands are your everyday usuals), they don't have room for the newest stuff.

I did sign up to get notices. At least that SA asked me about that. I couldn't have gone to the By Terry event on Saturday, but it would have been nice to know about it.

The old department management must have taken their blogger list with them when they left. :) I haven't heard from a soul there since Tayna left.

Charlestongirl said...

LuvJ, I missed your comment - sorry!. Your skin is sure to love the roses. :)

lovethescents said...

These look a bit tricky to apply, as in, in a rush, they might be applied too heavily. The swatches are gorgeous, though, both of them. Thank you!

Charlestongirl said...

If you use a brush, Lovethescents, you can apply them quickly and lightly. :)