Friday, November 25, 2011

Givenchy Le Prisme Yeux Mono from Nuit Celeste Collection for Holiday 2011

During the Sephora Friends & Family Sale, I purchased Givenchy's Le Prisme Yeux Mono in Or Céleste ($29) from the Nuit Celeste Collection for Holiday 2011. The signature piece, L'Ombre Noire, a black eye shadow, was "not me." While the L'Or Céleste Starry Loose Powder looked very interesting, I opted for something safer: the limited-edition gold Le Prisme for eyes in Or Céleste.

I'm sure you already know that each Le Prisme is an innovative monochromatic powder eyeshadow that provides four finishes in one compact - in this case four golds. I was pretty sure gold would make me happy.

Givenchy's Le Prisme Mono creates made-to-measure results that range from natural to couture or simple to sophisticated. The formula contains atomized pigments that provide vibrant, stay-true color. Blend the four domes together for a single refined shade or use each one separately for a personalized result.

I photographed all four shades of Or Céleste in individual swatches, hoping to capture the differences among the four finishes. I was only partially successful. Part of the problem was mine, but I think I can attribute part of the problem to one of the shades.

I swatched in clockwise order, starting with the shade at the top left in the compact. You can see on my arm that three of the four golds sparkle. The third one down on my arm (bottom right in the compact) doesn't adhere well. I worked fairly hard to get even swatches with a sponge-tipped applicator, and still the third shade (the softest in the compact) left a bit more sparkle than color on my arm. The matte shade in the compact, shown at the bottom of my arm, bores me, but it may be just the thing if you are missing a matte gold in your eye shadow wardrobe.

The top two golds are slightly different in tone, with one offering a touch of antique gold to the pure gold. Are they different enough to warrant a purchase as individual shades? Not to my eye.

Swirl all four shades together, and you'll achieve a pretty, sparkling gold for your eyelids. The "deficiencies" of two of the shades are outweighed by the overall effect, and Or Céleste earns its keep. Should you purchase it? Only if you are looking for one new gold powder eye shadow - not four. If you already have one - or more - I'm not sure you'll find Or Céleste to be groundbreaking. I'm glad I got a discount.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

No comments: