Friday, November 18, 2011

The Friday Forum - November 18

It's hard for me to believe that next Thursday is Thanksgiving! Time is passing so quickly. Before we know it, it will be Christmas, and the weather here will warrant coats and socks. Yesterday reminded me of the cold to come. I met some friends for lunch. When I went into the restaurant it was chilly - just chilly. When I came out, it was downright cold, with a fierce wind. Our weather changed in the course of an hour and a half (long lunch - it was a leisurely time with old friends).

I continue to wait for my CREED Royal Service to arrive. I understand that, with the exception of the testers, the flacons have not yet shipped to any Neiman Marcus store. Most of the exclusive bottles are pre-sold, but if you want one, make sure to speak up soon. Kathy Shoreman might be able to hunt one down for you. You can reach her at (703) 761-1600, extension 3282. I'm really anxious to get my hands on Royal Service because it smells so good, and I won't rest until my own bottle is safely in my hands.

This week, I added "tabs" to the blog header. I wanted to add a page of contest (or sweepstakes) rules so that I wouldn't have to publish them with each giveaway contest. I decided it was also time to add a privacy policy, given the many justifiable concerns about Internet privacy. While I was at it, I added more information about myself. Last year, our now-disbanded roundup group ran a series of features about each blogger. We all answered the same questions, giving our readers a better opportunity to know us. I used that feature to introduce myself here, updating it slightly with products I'm currently using.

There are a couple of weekend events I want to mention - one for DC-area gals and one for everyone. Tomorrow, Lord & Taylor at Tysons Corner Center is having its annual Holiday Cosmetics Trend Show. There will be representatives from Elizabeth Arden, Borghese, Chanel, Clarins, Clinique, Dior, Lancôme, Estée Lauder , StriVectin, Coty Prestige Fragrances, Shiseido, Frederic Fekkai, Ahava, and Bliss in the store and ready to help you with all your beauty questions. Just stop by. If you would like to attend a special breakfast, a ticket costs $10 ticket and comes with a goody bag. Call (703) 506-1156 and ask to speak with a representative of your favorite brand.

The Scent Event at Neiman Marcus, a national event, starts on Sunday, November 20, and runs through Sunday, November 27. With a purchase of $85 or more in the beauty department on fragrances or cosmetics, you'll receive a clutch bag filled with fragrance samples. If you are thinking about purchasing beauty gifts for the holidays, next week will be a great time to do it. For some reason, I want to call this the pink poodle clutch, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person. The samples inside are what counts for me!

It's time for The Friday Forum, our open chat. What new products did you discover this week? Did you find any deals you couldn't resist? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By early the next week, most (not all) readers have moved on.

Don't forget to enter the giveaway contest for a M·A·C Mineralize Blush in Improvise. The deadline is tomorrow, November 19, at midnight.

Photo at top courtesy of cambridgecarbonfootprint.org; clutch photo courtesy of Neiman Marcus

11 comments:

Evelyn said...

I finally got my blush in Frantic Pink :) It looks really lovely on, very natural. It reminds me a bit of Orgasm surprisingly on my skin - talk about what skin tone does to blushes - but Frantic Pink is a much better color and texture by far. I hate Orgasm on me.

Charlestongirl said...

Yea, Evelyn! I'm glad you like it. Interesting that it gets peachy on you.

Clarisse said...

Happy Friday and a lovely week-end to you! I send you rays of sunshine from here: we enjoy a mild weather which is rather unusual at that time of the year, but it's nice while it lasts. Gardeners say it will be icy cold when winter comes...we'll see..
Yes, Christmas is not that far now, and during the w-e, I'll be planning my beauty presents and Xmas shopping ...
I hope you'll get your Creed Royal Service soon now, you've been expecting it for so long!:-)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Clarisse!

How have you been? Planning for the holidays?

I heard that they hadn't even shipped the Royal Service from Europe the other day. I hope that was incorrect!

I need to write you. Have news.

lovethescents said...

Hi Charlestongirl, you Americans are so lucky...you always have these lovely sales. Here, they aren't as frequent, I'm afraid. That brings me to my 'sad' beauty news du semaine. About a month ago I was invited to the Guerlain Institut's champagne event. That means hors d'oeuvres, champagne, consultations and makeovers, AND 15% off everything: that includes makeup and fragrances--yes, the exclusive collections as well.

I had been anticipating this for a month, so looking forward to advice on a couple of palettes I've had my eye on. Then I did a 12hour night shift through Weds. into Thurs. night. My baby DIDN'T nap in the morning, so I physically could_not make it to the event. I just couldn't drive. How sad is that? Oh well. It might have been to crowded for baby.

The other thing going on is my belated and endless lemming for the Rue de Rivoli palette. I've been wanting it since I first saw it at the end of the spring, but I never got it. It doesn't seem to be available anywhere. What happens to palettes that aren't sold out? Some might end up on ebay, but what about the others?

Have a great weekend!

Rosamaria said...

Thank you for including additional information about yourself. It's nice to get to know you better. I always find I have questions I'd like to ask the bloggers or youtubers that I follow, but I'm concerened they'll find it too intrusive. Have a wonderful weekend!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents,

Let me see if I can find it here for you.

As for missing events due to fatigue, there will be others. Going back to work had to be stressful.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Rosamaria!

We published those late last year and early this year. I decided it was easier to re-use it than write more. I'd rather write about beauty products! :)

Unknown said...

thanks for posting all the events, Charlestongirl. I'm not sure if I'll get to any - I'm preparing for my mother's arrival Tuesday - but I may stop by L&T.

What happened to the roundup group?

Charlestongirl said...

Ava, after a few members dropped out simultaneously, the rest of us chose to do our own thing and discontinue it. Honestly, I don't understand all the reasons.

I'm going to the breakfast at L&T. I love early events. Can get them done and come home to still have a Saturday relaxation session!

lovethescents said...

You're a star, Charlestongirl, I really appreciate that. Thank you!