Sunday, November 13, 2011

Coming Attraction: Le Métier de Beauté Antiquité Poupée Kaleidoscope Eye Kit

On December 1, Le Métier de Beauté's Antiquité Poupée Kaleidoscope Eye Kit ($95) will be available at Bergdorf Goodman - only at Bergdorf Goodman. There will only be 100 Antiquité Poupée Kaleidoscopes available, and the pre-sale list is growing. If you want one, I'd recommend you call Dustin Lujan, the talented designer of this Kaleidoscope, as soon as humanly possible. His phone is at the bottom of this feature.

Dustin keeps a cork board with photos and copies of pictures that inspire him. This antique doll, which he had seen in an auction, attracted his attention. He was browsing the Web for antique dolls because his sister collects them. He loved the warm, dusty hues (and no, he didn't purchase the doll). A photo of the little beauty was enough to serve as the inspiration for Antiquité Poupée.

The four shades sound droll-worthy. A few lucky gals in the Northeast have had an opportunity to play with the colors with Dustin. The rest of us are going to have to wait. That's killing me!

The shades in Antiquité Poupée are shades that Dustin says are perfect for every skin tone. Here is how he describes them.
  • The Dusty Rose on the top looks similar to Champagne, but it’s not the same shade. There's almost a little grey tone to it. It's pearlized for a special glow.
  • Burlap Sorrel is a dusty brown, a multi-toned brown and grey actually, that's slightly luminous.
  • Tarnished Russet, the shade Dustin says "makes" the Kaleidoscope, is matte. He wanted it to be flat, but not lifeless. It's a flat rust tone that's warming. Rust embodies antiques (and the doll). You can use it with the other shades in the Kaleidoscope, or use alone by using Refresh Eye Brightening and Setting Powder and gently dusting the color on lid.
  • Ember Ash at the bottom is a blue-based charcoal, with slight radiance, but no glitter or pearl to the finish.
With all dusty and ashy tones, you can’t overdo it with Antiquité Poupée. Even if you apply a lot, building the color, you'll be left with a beautiful, smouldering look. Dustin prefers to apply the shades with the Crease Brush for a light touch. When pairing Antiquité Poupée, Dustin recommends the following colors.

Use Noir Precision Liquid Eyeliner and Aubergine Anamorphic Lash Mascara. The est blush would be Rumor Radiance Powder Rouge. Rumor may surprise you. It can be worn on light or deep skins. Give it a try! Dustin also recommends Bali Color Core Moisture Stain Lipstick, a berry tone, applied with your finger as a stain. Then finish the look with a sheer, clear Brilliant Lip Gloss to add a candy look. Use the gloss as a lipstick sealant and a treatment. When you finish, you'll have a look reminiscent of an antique doll.

Because the antique doll is a keepsake, Dustin wanted his new Kaleidoscope to be a keepsake too. It's packaged in a gold box with an Aspen leaf, electroplated with 24K gold, sterling silver, or bronze. The leaf is protected by a velvet pouch. Remove the ribbon (or not) and wear it on a chain or pearls.

Dustin Lujan has an art background. No wonder he has such a keen eye for color! He majored in art in college (with a minor in science, explaining his ingredient expertise), after receiving a scholarship. He told me he "fell into the beauty industry" when he was recruited to work for a forward fashion house doing face and body painting. Later, he worked with Miss America and Miss Teen America clients before he surrendered his career entirely to beauty. Even though he still paints, you'll find him representing Le Métier de Beauté "during work hours."

If you want to secure an Antiquité Poupée Kaleidoscope Eye Kit, call Dustin at the Le Métier de Beauté counter at Bergdorf Goodman at (212) 872-8612. Don't waste any time.

As soon as I can get my hands on the Antiquité Poupée Kaleidoscope Eye Kit, I'll show you swatches. Anything that Dustin creates becomes a treasure to me. I'm sure Antiquité Poupée will be no different.

Update 11/14: the Bergdorf Goodman team sent me a swatch photo today, swatching top to bottom in the palette. The photo appears to have been taken indoors.

Update 11/15: Seventy have been reserved. If you want one, don't let any grass grow under your feet!

Photos courtesy of Dustin Lujan and Le Métier de Beauté

27 comments:

Cindy's Societal said...

Aaargh, Charlestongirl, you always create lemmings for me. Pity that this is so exclusive! :(

I will be living vicariously through you!

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Girl's Guide!

I don't know if BG ships internationally, but I'd call. If the counter says no, I might be able to snag one for you and ship. It will, unfortunately, get expensive that way, with two shipping charges - one to get it to Virginia and the other to get it to Canada!

Liz said...

I'm calling him tomorrow!!! This palette looks gorgeous. xoLiz

Rosamaria said...

Oh dear... This looks beautiful. I only have one other kaleidoscope (silk road). Should I try to get this one?

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Pretty, pretty colors!!!

Leigh said...

What on earth is that model wearing?

Pre-ordered mine already. Dustin was so helpful on the phone. Now I want to get a makeover from him!

Cindy's Societal said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

Oh I'd love it if you could order two for me? I am in Australia, and I don't mind paying for shipping. I am sure it will be much cheaper than snagging this on ebay once its all sold out!

Let me know, thanks!
xo Cindy

Charlestongirl said...

Great, Liz! Call early if you can. I have good reason to think they will be swamped by phone today. Happy chaos!

Charlestongirl said...

Rosamaria, sure! This one will give you an entirely different look.

Charlestongirl said...

MamaVal, have you met Dustin yet? You would LOVE him!

Charlestongirl said...

Leigh, he is an amazing artist. He knows instinctively how and what to apply to each individual. He and Loyd have that in common. And no heavy hands!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Cindy,

I'll try. I may only be able to get one for you, though. Is that OK? They may not want to double up since the demand is so high.

panties said...

It's really a gorgeous kit ! If you can definitely preorder. I got to see it on a couple of people, and trust me, it's definitely worth having. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Panties, you NY girls have all the fun with Dustin!

Cindy's Societal said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

Yes one would be fine too! My friend wants one also, thats why I asked for two :)

Thanks a lot!
Cindy

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Cindy, I can try! Would you please shoot me an e-mail at bestthingsinbeauty@gmail.com?

Liz said...

I placed my order for the kaleidoscope & Rumor blush. Can't wait to receive it! Thanks for sharing the news. ;-) xoLiz

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Liz,

Yea! Now I want Rumor too. I don't have it. Hope they produce more of the Kaleidoscopes. One hundred isn't enough to satisfy all the LMdB fans!

Joey said...

You're going to FLIP when you see the taupe in person. I know I did =) xoxo

Charlestongirl said...

Joey, I'm so jealous of Dustin's "NY girls" like you who have already applied it! It looked divine on you!

Anonymous said...

I love Le Metier de Beaute!!!!!!! This kit looks amazing!!!!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Shortisthenewblack!

They are still available, so make sure to call to reserve one. :)

LuckyRedLisa said...

Oh my!!! I'm wearing the new Come One Come All today and I LOOOOOOVE it so. So yeah, you know what I just did- pre-ordered this one, too. Dustin said I'm near the end of the list, so if anyone wants one, I'd call ASAP.
Thanks again for your wonderful, wonderful reviews.

Charlestongirl said...

Oh my, LuckyRedLisa! When I last talked to Dustin, they had maybe 20 left, but he wasn't sure. Glad you sounded the warning.

Dustin said he is going to try to get a few more. I think that's a good idea since they will be sold out on pre-sale orders alone. Walk-up customers - you know, the kind who actually want to see something before they buy it - get so frustrated with that.

wendy cockburn said...

Just called and got on the list! Apparently there are still a few left, so hurry if you're interested. Dustin seems so nice. Definitely have to get to the store and play at the counter :)

Charlestongirl said...

Great, Wendy! You MUST get to meet Dustin someday. We all adore him!

eunice said...

dear charleston,

i'm your follower from singapore! i check out your blog few times a day, thank u for all the excitement u bring into my life.

do u think it's possible that the top 2 shades in the holiday antiquee poupee kaleidoscope might be same as the top 2 in come one, come all?

cos i already have silk road and ordered come one, come all. also reserved antiquee with dustin, wonder if it will contain dupes again..

what r your insights?
thanks in advance!